World Athletics Championships Budapest

Anyone else watching the athletics ?, highlights so far have to be the golds for KJT in the Heptathlon who came very close to packing it all in after a serious Achilles injury and the amazing run by Josh Kerr last night to claim 1500m world title excellent stuff

1 Like

I loved the moment last night when the US and Australian women agreed to share pole vaulting gold. A wonderful conversation where both athletes were wondering whether the other was really serious about stopping the competition there and then. Followed by tears and smiles.

1 Like

I think they were both actually knackered but yes that was a moment of true sportsmanship something I don’t think you would see in other competitive sports.

Super job by KJT, looking forward to the Olympics in Paris with Nafi Thiam on the track in the hepthalon again.

1 Like

This whole week has been an amazing display of quality athletes at their peak and setting world class standards. Yes Josh Kerr was fantastic.

It takes it until now for someone to start a thread on a great event.

2 Likes

Mrs W (who never watches much sport) and I have been really enjoying it each evening; great performances by athletes from many nations. That crazy Italian highjumper one highlight, and the men’s 1500 another. Steve Cram and Andrew Cotter in the UK are perhaps the finest commentators in any sport?

Some of the posturing by sprinters in particular is a bit tiresome but generally lots of good sportsmanship and the sight of athletes genuinely sharing the joy of each other’s performances is a pleasure. Big crowds too. Roll on the Olympics!

Bruce

1 Like

Fantastic viewing - not a dull race.
Hard to pick best moment from a Brit’s perspective: KRT or Josh Kerr, but Warholm pretty special too, as well as the dignity of Hassan.
Good vibe video: World Athletics Championships 2023: Race walker proposes at finish line - BBC Sport

Daniel Ståhl, nerves of steel…:innocent:
(Swe: StĂĄl = Steel)

2 Likes

Yes indeed, I wouldn’t miss it. If I’m busy and can’t watch any I record it for later. I have always been a big fan of the World Championships and to me its every bit as good as the Olympics!

1 Like

I’m really enjoying these championships. Great performances and excellent organisation. The Americans are doing well, of course, but it is amazing how many of their great college athletes have dropped by the wayside due to the enormous demands on them. It’s a great pity Abby Steiner and Sidney McLaughlin aren’t there.

1 Like

Fantastic women’s 4x100 relay. The only thing that could stop Sha’Carri Richardson was the USA men’s 4x100 team rugby tackling her to the ground.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.