World Music

I’ve been to Jaisalmer a few times and music like this can be seen played everywhere in fact all over Rajahstan and all of India groups like this play in the street in restaurants and in bars and the standard of musicianship is incredible.

These musicians play to earn a living but also live to play and really enjoy you showing your appreciation. We watched one such group play outside a restaurant in Benaulim, South Goa and afterwards they wouldn’t take any ‘tip’ from us and gave us a CD saying our applause where enough.

Rajab Suleiman & Kithara - Hisia Za Muungwana from Zanzibar.

1 Like

Here’s a very enjoyable band from Catalunya. Have photographed them over the years at the Festival Terra de Trobadors in Castelló d’Empúries…

1 Like

If you are looking into checking out West-African (Senegalese) traditional pop music, give Ifang Bondi’s album Daraja a spin. At the time I bought it, I was already a few years into African Music. What I always found funny is that they have a small intro by a quintessential west african instrument, and then followed by a song that takes it center stage. Bit educational even that way :smile:

1 Like

There is some wonderful Greek music out there once you get away from the typical tourist/taverna bouzouki stuff. For anybody who wants something a bit different have a listen to this, by folk/jazz/funk/fusion band Mode Plagal. This is from their 2nd album and is based on a traditional Thracian Christmas carol. Interesting time signatures, some funky rhythm guitar and great sax playing. I never tire of listening to this.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.