Worlds Best Hotels

We climbed 5 x 4000 :

• Punta Baretti (4013 m)
  • Mt Brouillard (4069 m)
  • Pointe Louis Amedée (4469 m)
  • Mont Blanc de Courmayeur (4748m)
  • Mont Blanc (4810m)

Oh God, a lot… after the Col Emil Rey we had some moments… a lot of rock falls (some the size of a fridge).

No, sorry. I don’t read alpine literature. Never really was tempted.
I was offered a few books. Never read them.

After having climbed the “Aiguilles du Diable” a friend gave me the book “Tragédie aux Aiguilles du Diable”. The title isn’t very tempting…

My pleasure is reading guide books, preparing the next climb, etc. :smiley:

3 Likes

Where serial killers go to let their hair down!

1 Like

That’s a great line.

An exclusive world class hotel at zero Euros per night.

2 Likes

Visited a pair of them in Bali. Nice indeed!

1 Like

Stayed and some nice places over the years, but the one that stands out is the Ngorongoro Crater Lodge - part of an &Beyond safari.

(And the crater’s not bad either.)

2 Likes

We’ve been to those two - really lovely. Amandari in Ubud especially :blush:

That’s a breakfast table that’s going to stay with you for a long LONG time! :blush::blush::blush: …amazing - always wanted to go to the crater - worry a little that it’ll be overrun.

Here’s my second choice -

The Como Uma Paro (Bhutan)

3 Likes

Bhutan is definitely on our list - Como’s are very good in Asia in our experience. The opposite of Belmond - which are amazing in Europe, and so-so in Asia.

There are no less than Four Aman Hotels in Bhutan - branded together as Amankora - looks amazing.

This is Amanjiwo on the island of Java in Indonesia.

It’s built adjacent to the Borobudur - the largest Buddhist temple in the world. Again - like in Angkor Wat - Aman have exclusive access to the temple. Sunset on top of the temple is an unforgettable experience.

The hotel itself is lovely - very photogenic!

On this first picture - you can see it’s alignment to Borobudur - visible in distance if you follow the straight line.

The suites are nice - not huge - and arranged as a separate sleeping and lounging pavilion - but very comfortable. We had a room with a private pool - there we are standing infront of it :blush:

These last photos aren’t mine - I don’t have a drone (but am tempted!) - but shows the architecture - it’s amazing.

3 Likes

Great photos. Have you been to the Aman at the Summer Palace in Beijing?

1 Like

We’ve not - the ones in China look great - and are relatively (it’s all relative with Aman!) reasonably priced.

There is a definitely an Aman China tour to be done when the world returns to normality!

Matt, it’s a shame more people haven’t taken up your ‘interesting and not necessarily expensive’ line. As it is, it’s become rather too much ‘look at how much money I’ve got and the size of my carbon footprint’. It would be great to see some affordable but interesting places that can be reached by train. We want to travel to Copenhagen by train from London and it would be great to see some places in Germany en route. I do love Thomas’s pictures, though they give me vertigo just looking at them!

1 Like

Our first visit to Disney Orlando we stayed at a Disney resort hotel, the Animal Kingdom lodge. My daughter chose it as she is mad keen on animals. The Savannah rooms overlook a safari park and you can watch Zebra, Giraffe and countless other species. The hotel is themed as an African safari lodge, the food was excellent with an African theme as well.

1 Like

It’s not intended to be that - and it’s a shame you see it that way. The places I’ve shared are just great hotels - some are expensive - some less so. They’ve also been visited over a number of years. It’s nice when we can’t travel to see these places.

Oh well - i guess you can just not look at this thread. There’s a function for that I think?

Interesting hotels are not necessarily expensive - but some ARE far away. There is a carbon offset on most charter long haul flights now.

That’s absolutely stunning Gazza - Disney know how to do these things!

Indeed they do…when you look at their hotels they are all the same basic concrete design…then they add the themes to each one.

1 Like

Matt, I realise it’s not meant to be that, which is clear from your first post. Very few have added to the thread unfortunately and it would be good to see more genuinely interesting hotels. Just because a hotel is somewhere exotic dies not make the hotel interesting - a lot of these upmarket chains are very similar but just happen to be in beautiful places, so it’s the place that’s interesting rather than the hotel, if that makes sense.

Hotel Esmerelda in Paris - an original and very small hotel in a central location.

2 Likes

It does make sense - but the Aman Hotels I’ve posted are all incredibly unique. There are 30 of them in utterly unique locations. No two are remotely similar - the two in Sri Lanka for example could not be more different. The one in Vietnam is 40 miles into a National Park. They have one in the Summer Palace Beijing - actually IN it.

You’ll not catch me posting any pictures of the Holiday Inn Swindon! (Might be amazing though…anybody??)

But I take the point absolutely - a nice mix would be great - there are some wonderful hotels out there! …and I for one REALLY miss them!

1 Like