Would you get a 252/552 in 2020?

Well if this counts I bought a 552/500DR in 2019 and could not be happier. I am very new to Naim (Uniti about 3 years ago, then 282/250DR). As has been said many times above with the statement sort of capping out where the 500 level can go without an upgrade to the statement I saw no reason not too. With the lockdown and WFH it is prob one of my best purchases as it is on all day every day and sounds sublime and keeping me sane. If you want it and can afford it, why not ? Life is far too short not too enjoy things and have regrets.

4 Likes

I do use the Zigbee for play/pause, mute and volume control (I have system automation connected) when the iPad is not open. But it does consume batteries at quite a rate, especially compared to the two remotes which came with the NAC552.

This (below) is the one which came with the NAC52 and NAC82 and the CDI if I remember correctly. This was my preferred remote.

Not my photo, found on internet.

1 Like

I use Roon with Qobuz and my FLAC library on my iPad Pro 100% as source for my NDX2. It doesn’t control volume, so I use my handheld remote for volume. Again, I’m not against there being an app. I don’t like it, I don’t use it, and I like my remote and that’s what I use. I don’t get why people feel they should argue against how I use it. Does it cause you all stress for me to do that? LOL

1 Like

@JosquinDesPrez

I just want to stress that yesterday I think you may have been taking my replies to you seriously and I can assure you I was being light hearted hence all my Laughing emojis used after each response.

:+1:t2:

2 Likes

Yes I would, if I was playing fantasy Naim World and I wanted to find out how good my NAP155XS into Allaes could really be :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not arguing against how you use your system nor saying that the handheld remote should disappear…

Simply explaining that for some users (for instance in the scenario I have described), the app is all that’s needed and the more is integrated the better as it feels great using only one device for all these functionalities.

1 Like

I agree 100% with you biddler. I know to my own cost having lost my wife to cancer 18 months ago and knowing she went way too early. So I find my self thinking exactly as you say - so why don’t I get what I want?! Who’s to know what’s round the corner?

Hence maybe you could advise me here. I now have a nice system - 252/SC/250DR into Naim Ovator 400s. I really like the 252 presentation on both vinyl and CD (I don’t stream) and following some good counsel on this forum - vinyl replay is now excellent via a Naim Superline powered from the 252.

All good - but would like a bit more - maybe the “final solution” to enjoy my collection. Just occasionally the system lacks a little in bass presentation so I’m faced with either adding a 300DR to the 252; or replacing the 252 with a 552. I don’t know if anyone has a 552/250DR or the system might end up unbalanced? I’d be interested in your thoughts on the 552 having made a similar step.

I have a spare slot on my Hutter rack for a full width box; and could afford either option but am erring to the 300DR currently. I’d appreciate opinions here please. Cheers all.

@NigelB does I think?

So sorry to hear about your loss, very sad and I hope you are bearing up to a horrible situation.

I did go 282/250DR > 552/250DR before I got the 500DR and it was a step up no doubt about it, but probably not as much as I was hoping. I use vinyl mainly and the detail was better but not the “head and shoulders” better that gets bandied around a lot.

For me adding the 500DR was he “wow” moment. Just so much more control and seems obvious but the balance was something else. Clearly the 2 components were designed together and it really does show. FWIW I stuck the 282 onto the 500DR just to see how it sounded and like the 552/250DR it was better but not hugely. For me the package seems to be greater than the sum of its parts.

I must say I am nowhere near as experienced as most on here, I just like music but dont know much about the hifi side but for me the 552/500DR is here to stay for a very long time as I find it hard to think it will get improved in a marked way anytime soon (unless I hear a statement that is !)

6 Likes

I indeed have a 552/250DR, however if you are looking for a little more bass presentation, then the 300DR on your 252 might be the more obvious choice. Having said this, the 252 is beautifully balanced and can be light-footed when needed, but does have the potential to wack you around the head if the music calls for it.

I realise a home comparison of the 252/300 vs the 552/250 might be tricky but what I did is hear a couple of combinations at my dealer (including these) and took home the one that impressed me most - the 552 to replace my 252 in my case, and it never went back.

Sorry to hear of your loss. And you are right, if you love your music, can afford it, why not?

2 Likes

Thank you all for your advice and your thoughts. Much appreciated. My dealer should open on or around 1st June (he tells me) so I’ll do the 300DR demo first and take it from there, I’ll keep you posted.

1 Like

I do

Mmmm - I didn’t know that Richard.

So you must have heard the 2 systems (252/300 and 552/250) with Ovators? Maybe not!

Given I’m now using the excellent Superline (thank you!) - what would be your take? I know I’ll eventually get demos of both (hopefully) but that may take extra time during lockdown, so trying to get peoples opinions first. As you know - vinyl is my preference and I don’t want to power the Superline via a separate box. Thx.

552/250 will be a one step upgrade to Nirvana

253/300 will be two

No idea which will sound better but maybe it will be depending on speakers

The big thing that drove me to getting a 300DR is the relatively inefficient speakers I have, and that we plan to move our system to the larger living room (from a 11’ x 17’ x 8’ size room to 13.5’ x 22’ x 8.5’).

In my opinion, replacing the 252 with the 552 would give the greater improvement in sound quality and sheer musicality. After that, aim for a 500…

It’s been many years since comparing and that would be pre DR. However, I always felt that the performance uplift resulting from the move from NAC252 to NAC552 was profound, far more so than the differences between the big power amps.

2 Likes

+1

Source first, works every time on any env.

I have been wracking my brains thinking about 282/500 test after I wrote that and I finally remembered I did not do that test after all as I could not get the connections so please ignore, I am getting old !

I do. See my profile for full details.