Would you get a 252/552 in 2020?

A nice debate guys but I’ve never understood this stuff about the volume control on the pre amps. It’s excellent, one nudge or two on the remote does the trick!

Regards,

Lindsay

2 Likes

Maybe it’s because they can never be satisfied and are always thinking that there must be something better out there.

Going back to @AhTiong ‘s original post, and has been mentioned above, the gap between the sound quality and simple enjoyability of the 272/555 and the ND555/552 really isn’t the chasm that is sometimes suggested. Whether it’s worth the £30,000 cost is up to each of us of course.

2 Likes

2-3 boxes versus 5 boxes. Yup, fewer boxes.

I hate using my iPhone as a remote control for anything. You can’t just pick it up and push buttons. You have to open the app first, and then there’s the lag waiting for it to be ready for input. No thanks. The handheld is simple, effective, always works, always ready.

13 Likes

True enough, but the remote may not work when using multiroom, as in my case, where I might be in the living room, and just have all the doors open, whilst the choons are belting out from the music room … then, system automation is yer pal. :laughing:

1 Like

This is a case of what phone you use in my opinion.
I use an IPhone 10 Xs and I certainly don’t have this problem.

Pick it up, and as it’s still moving towards my face, it’s unlocked and back in the app within an instant due to face recognition.

You don’t have to lock your phone as another alternative.

1 Like

+1

I never lock my iPhone, unless I put it in my pocket or at night when I go to sleep.
So I prefer using iPhone as a remote if possible.

1 Like

I use my phone for many other things too, so the Naim app is almost always not the forefront app anyway. I have an iPhone 11 Pro Max and it’s setup with FaceId (which is flakey anyway).

That’s great if you enjoy using it. I would be very disappointed if the only way of controlling my Naim gear was via an iPhone app. The only thing I ever use the Naim app for is changing settings on the NDX2.

I have no problems with the Naim app on any of my iOS devices. It works quite nice.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s a really great security best practice. :roll_eyes:

:joy: security, what from the other half seeing it!?

You don’t take you phone with you when you go out?

We are talking about using the system at home aren’t we.
Can’t say I ever have the need to control it while I am not in the house. :joy:

I

Look, I think it’s fine that you like using the iPhone app, and I don’t care if you leave it unlocked. I’m not even suggesting there shouldn’t be an app.

I was just responding to a suggestion that the handheld remotes should be eliminated as unnecessary, so I added my voice to say I like using the handheld remote and want it to stay. If you think that crosses your line for being reasonable, you’re alway welcome to mute or ignore my posts.

I would never leave my phone unsecured for any reason. I’ve worked in software engineering long enough to know better than to leave anything open that can be secured otherwise.

2 Likes

For someone who is just using NAS and Tidal/Quobuz streaming as music sources then it’s really convenient to use the Naim app for both music selection and volume. Everything can be done on a phone or tablet and the Naim remote can stay in the drawer.

In that scenario, I don’t see the point of using the remote for volume or input selection as a phone or tablet is used anyway to browse and select tracks

1 Like

I see them as my retirement set, they not might be the cutting edge technology but they get old gracefully and will do the their job for many years to come…

If you buy streamer/pre etc they might become “old” quite fast…

There might be very good options for less money if you dig around but after 16+ years of Naim ownership they are my end game for sure…

Still need to change my Nap300 with 500 someday then it is over for me!

I can happily listen my Bach / Beethoven/ Mozart DG box sets for a couple of years to start with:))

1 Like

Hi Simon, have you ever pondered about elevating your amp to a NAP 300 or 500, or does the 250.2 adequately fits the bill?

Honestly, not really, as I have my system working optimally and enjoyably such that I don’t really think about the system anymore.
If I moved the audio system to a bigger room requiring bigger speakers, I would consider it.

3 Likes

I rather liked the buttons on those preamps! I never swapped any of the labels over though - I included an unopened full sheet together with the removal tool when I sold the NAC52. Actually I rarely pushed those buttons, preferring instead to use the remote control, which was IMHO the best ever supplied by Naim Audio.

1 Like

If you want an example of a truly redundant remote just look at the one that come with the ND555/X2/5-xs2. It has no function that isn’t on the app (as far as I’ve noticed and since a few updates ago) and if using the streamer the app will likely be open anyway. Maybe Roon or Melco user have a use for it. The narcom gets a lot of use in my house but I took the batteries out of the Zigbee.

1 Like