XLR Cables for New Classic Range

I would look at the AudioQuest XLR (wide range) with some really good offerings among the mid priced models (although I wouldn’t get too excited about their DBS system?). They seem to have their own rather good XLR connectors too.

The standard Superlumina cables are not wired correctly for the new Classic range XLR sockets unfortunately.

Saying that, Naim must supply balanced XLR > XLR cables for the Statement NAC S1 to Statement NAP S1 connection - I assume these are Superlumina and available to special order ?

Over on the “Are balanced connections better” thread @Innocent_Bystander raised the question of blind tests.

It would be most interesting where people have done blind comparisons - which is very easy to do given a willing accomplice, but surprisingly uncommon…

Anyone done that as part of their tests of XLR cables?

1 Like

Chris West from NANA and AV Options are offering XLR’s they say are at Chord Music level.

Installed the MGs today and boy off the bat they sound good*.

• as you noted they just let the music flow, good soundstage, good control etc I just want to keep listening.

I have at home to audition, MG’s (£52), Belden 8402 (£80) Chord Signature (£1.5k) and Chord Sarum T (£3k). Currently I have listened to all except the Beldens (will try and listen to tomorrow), however, it’s going to be the end of next week before I get to do some serious evaluating / comparison listening sessions. That said instinctively and based on what I have heard at this stage the MGs feel / sound like they are going to be the best bang for buck and not a lot of difference between them and the pricy chord cables**

**subject to serious LFL testing

2 Likes

:+1:

Will be interesting to see how it develops, enjoy.

Wasn’t really expecting a thread on this topic so soon though ?

1 Like

I have my new boxes, obviously still running/burning in. Waiting to see the results of your listening tests. I will get myself a pair of MG cables to see if I can hear any difference. With regard to other cables I will probably wait a little bit to see how you and any others get on. That said if my dealer has a spare demo set of something else…….

Me neither and I wonder why and how the cable was singled out as a cause of dissatisfaction in any case?

1 Like

@Analogmusic @Dave
I asked the question not because of any dissatisfaction but to see if there was the same interest in using different interconnects with new classic as there was/is with earlier systems.
Yes, might be a little early in the new classic lifecycle for this type of question but I sense that audiophiles like to tweak their systems looking for improvements, at least to their ears in their rooms etc. Some are willing to pay more than others for these adjustments.

1 Like

true, us audiophiles do like to tweak things, but, thankfully, with Naim I found over the years I didn’t really need to do this.

I have 2 systems, one with superlumina full loom and and with NACA A5 and Naim Snaic, but sound equally enjoyable to me. in Hindsight, it would have been interesting to compare if spending that kind of money on upgrading my cables was the right decision or maybe I should have bought a Fraim instead or upgrade to a 252/SCDR from my 282/HCDR.

1 Like

Would love to try the Mark Grant’s but they don’t appear to sell to customers in the US. I have sent several emails and no response.

Having some built with the Mogami W2497.

It’s just Canare L4E6S Star Quad with Neutrik XLR connectors, they’re all over eBay and Amazon, or Blue Jeans Cable if you are concerned about quality of craftsmanship.

1 Like

I’m using a 3m pair of Mogami Neglex 2534 Starquad Cable from designacable, between my NSC 222 and Adam Audio A7V monitors.

The monitors are short term and I plan to replace them with a pair of ATC 40A at a later date.

Will be taking delivery of new Witch Hat Audio New Classic XLR Mono Pair Morgana cables soon. :blush:

Be interested in hearing what these are like. Not listed on their website yet or am i missing something?

You are correct, they are not listed yet. I will be getting one of the first, if not the first pairs. The difference between the cable you see on the website now and this one, is a ETI XLR connector at both ends and changes to cable wiring. However, the cable is the same in both. As I have already had Morgana mono pair with Naim 272 and 300DR, and really rated the cable, Then hopefully, there should not be much of a risk.:blush: As always, With Hat do offer their return, if not satisfied.

1 Like

Not sure how the new XLR cable is compared to the old one. But I out of curiosity switched from Morgana DIN-XLR to the original naim one in my system and it just sucked the life out of it. Adding the Morgana is like adding a 555PSDR on say 272.

I can understand Lavender that has it’s charm but the original DIN/XLR pre New classic is really stopping the system to perform at its best.

3 Likes

Absolutely fair enough, I’ve upgraded mine to Chord Music and was staggered by how it unshackled the system so I do understand. It was just how quickly you’d decided that the stock cable was inadequate :smiley:

2 Likes

I’m not saying that the stock cable is inadequate, I’m still running my boxes in. I was just curious to see/gather the opinions and findings of others who have tried other XLR cables. In this setup it could be said that there are only 3 cable sets, power cables, speaker cables and finally XLR interconnect cables. There are many threads on the first two, not so many on the XLR.
Personally I’ll read what people say and then try a few to see if I can hear any similar changes. It may well be that I can’t. There are some folks who say that cables are a way of fine tuning the system once basics are sorted. Not sure I’m even at the basics sorted stage yet but I do get a little bit of satisfaction trying to improve little by little. That said I’m happy with how it sounds so may end up not making any permanent changes.

1 Like