XLR Cables for New Classic Range

Has anyone tried the MCRU XLR cables?

When I switched from 250 to 300DR innWimbledon, my WH XLR was redundant, so it and the Naim standard XLR went (in the bag of cables) to Tasmania to join 82, Hicap and the 250.

My girlfriend has better hearing then me, and plays bass clarinet. One afternoon, she did not know that I had taken both XLRs and was trying the standard XLR, but noticed that something was no longer ā€˜rightā€™.

Swapping in the WH Morgana fixed the problem as far as she was concerned. FWIW, I agreed (but remember confirmation biases).

She could see I was fiddling with cables, but I didnā€™t explain what I was doing and she didnā€™t know (and has no interest in) which was which.

It may have been a blind-ish test, but was not exactly rigorous or extensive. Does that count?

2 Likes

Hi @NickofWimbledon From my perspective itā€™s all useful information. My new boxes are now at about 100 hours and so getting there as far as burn in is concerned. I did note some folks have indicated improvements still coming after a longer period, although I may have misread their comments. For me though my sound is now good, so nothing majorly wrong.
That said my upgraditis is causing me to look at speakers just now, no big reason just an itch to see if there could be an improvement without too much cost. Cables might therefore have to wait as I donā€™t want too many changes at once although the Mark Grants seem well respected. Also waiting to see what @NoNaim says about the new WH XLRs.
See you do a bit of archery - maybe we should start a new thread to see how many partake in the sport.

1 Like

FWIW, Iā€™d encourage hearing a speaker or two.

I have no doubt that, unless there is something badly wrong, differences in speakers have a much bigger impact on what you hear than cables or supports (or very possibly amps). Your existing cables may well be beatable, but I bet the gap wonā€™t be huge.

I auditioned the PMCs you have some years ago. We thought them excellent, but B&W 804s had all the vigour with more delicacy (e.g. female vocals, brushes on drums) and clearer stereo, with no sense that the sound changed just because I had just cranked the volume. All that the PMCs did well, the B&Ws did better.

In the shop (Infidelity in Kingston), the PMCs impressed - the 804s really won it at my house. However we were also really taken with Neat Xplorers - so much so that when I needed speakers for a rather less forgiving room in Tasmania, I bought some ex-dem Neats and exported them.

The Wimbledon setup has NDX2/XPSDR/ 52/SC/300DR, while Tasmania has ND5XS2/ 82/HC/ 250.

If you are tempted to hear some speaker options, can I suggest 804s, Neats plus some ATCs? 3 very different speakers, all of which can probably go in a room/position that will take PMCs. Iā€™d also be pretty confident that they will also all benefit from Gaias.

If the differences between your most and least favourite speakers from that list arenā€™t a lot bigger than those between cable A and cable B, Iā€™d be surprised. Given the cost of a speaker change, thatā€™s just as well.

Archery is good exercise after decades using a keyboard. Thatā€™s just as well, because I am still not much of a shot.

1 Like

Iā€™m at 3 months with my NC 250 and it keeps getting better. Itā€™s really opening up now with lots of new depth and space without losing any of the speed and impact.

With only 100 hours it will change alot over the next 4-6 months.

2 Likes

Be very careful in changing your speakers :firecracker:
I have the same system as you, except Kudos KS1 (maybe change to WH Spectre in the future).
Contrary to what you read on here, about the in vogue speakers. They may not be the best speakers for YOUR room.
I have owned ATC SCM40 passive and active and PMC Twenty5 23 and Twenty5 26. I currently own PMC Twenty5 23i.
Now admittedly, I have only used the NSC222/NPX300 with the active ATC speakers. However, as good as the ATC were, they did not involve me with the music in MY room. So, sold the ATCā€™s, bought the NC 250 and 23iā€™s.
I can honestly say, that in MY room, the system is better balanced and more engaging.
I would also say that all the PMC speakers I have had, performed better than ATC in MY room. This could be the room or MY hearing is more suited to the PMC sound.
It is very easy to get caught up, with chasing the best sound or latest shining star. However, sometimes less is more and just kick back and listen to the music. After all, thatā€™s what it is all about? :blush:

6 Likes

Hi @NoNaim. Wise words indeed. Whilst I am happy to go to a dealer and listen in their demo room I would be unlikely to change my speakers without a home demo to confirm improvement in my room.
I am a little constrained in that I have a max height of about 100cm and limited width per speaker of around 20 cm and also pretty much against a wall. PMCs do this very well and it may be that others do not, eg the ATC SCM40 are too big. they also need to pass MrsO acceptability in looks.
To get back to the original reason for the thread I was just wondering if others had tried alternative XLR cables and their results. Agree that this is in the world of fine tuning especially when considered against such bigger change items such as speakers, supplies, stands, etc.

Had update from Witch Hat. Delay in receiving XLR connectors from suppliers. They are on the way and should arrive Monday. So, will have to wait a little longer for the Morganaā€™s for 222 and NC 250. :frowning:

2 Likes

Did you ever receive them? I inquired about getting them to make a pair of 4Pin DIN to XLR.

Hi Nic
The last update from them, was the XLR connectors were delayed, but they had a expected delivery date. So, taking this into consideration, bank holidays and build time. They should be built and dispatched, no later than this week. If not, I will have to contact Josh for a further update. I will post on here, when I receive them. :crossed_fingers:

That reference brings back memories. I used to live in Kingston and remember when Simon first opened up ā€¦ bought my Nait 2 from him pre-owned. Is he still in the same location, just over the bridge?

Still there and still going strong. The whole team is good, including Carl the LP12 man.

1 Like

I also use PMC Speakers currently Twenty 26 and prior to this FB1+ for about 15 years! I am limited on space and have always found these speakers to perform well even when close to the wall due to their transmission line design. They are indeed also not very wide and this again helps in the room I have them, I have these on Townshend Isolation bars and I was speechless in how things improved, Townshend supertweeters (massively improved midrange) and finally a REl Sub just added real preesnce, not overbearing at all. Each addition has improved things further, the Sub took me some time to fully integrate but now just feels like an extension to the PMCs as opposed to a separate unit.

1 Like

ā€¦ā€¦.and still waiting :yawning_face:

1 Like

I have had my new boxes for a couple of months or so. I have over 100 hours on them so believe them to be there or thereabouts.
Went to one of my local dealers, great when you have 3 or 4 good dealers all within relatively easy driving range, to chat about cables etc. I am looking to just warm the sound a little as it sets off my tinnitus every now and again and I have found that warmer sounds do not impact so much.
The dealer had a system that was exactly the same as mine including speakers so set up a quick listening session. He also stocks Kudos and asked if I had heard them before. Answer was no so he put a pair of SUPER 20A on, well the sound was just so much better. He then put on a pair of Titan 606. Different again, not as warm as the 20A but still better, to me, than the PMC.
A home demo has followed and whilst both Kudos are better than what I have I think the 606 edge it for me. My room my ears. But they are more expensiveā€¦.and MrsO has doubts about the size difference as well.
So probably no new/different XLR cables for me at present, just a different decision to make.

Hopefully soonā€¦ā€¦

Still interested to hear the result.

Me too :blush:

NSC222 + NC250 have been here more than a couple of months, which equates to close to 2,000 hours - volume down overnight, continuous streaming.
IIRC mention by Naim staff of run in period, on the original thread, likely Iā€™m two thirds of the way there. Recently the system has opened up, likely more to come, very pleased on stock Naim i/c cables + PLs.

No doubt, alternate cables appeal to different peps; imho the stock ones donā€™t need changing, certainly not until the units are very well run in; ymmv.

3 Likes

As someone who did swap eventually away from the standard Naim cables, could I vigorously endorse the last bit?

1. The standard cables are pretty good and donā€™t ā€˜needā€™ changing.

2. Swapping cables to see if you prefer something different in your system/ room when you donā€™t know that all boxes are fully run seems unlikely to give results you can trust.

2 Likes

Witch Hat has ceased trading so they can be crossed off as an option.

1 Like