Xps dr

That’s great to know Dan_M. Thanks for your thoughts! :sunglasses:

1 Like

How about Supernait 3 Supercap DR ND555 555PS.

Now that would be something to behold!!! All on full fat Fraim. :rofl:

2 Likes

Don’t get me started! :eyes: :thinking: :sunglasses:

1 Like

You know you’ll do it! :smile:

Very exciting times. But seriously, the XPSDR will be bloody good and you’ll be a very happy man. Do the demos and see what deal they can do. If you can get an ex demo 555PSDR for close to £5500 will be worth it. Try pushing it with them. And walk away. And then see what happens!

1 Like

Stephen if you can afford the PS 555 DR by all means go for it!

It was a stretch for me to justify the XPS DR and did not demo it at home until I was sure I had the cash to pay for it. The PS 555 DR goes for $ 11,990.00 (US) and the XPS DR $ 6,490.00 retail.

As others have mentioned the XPS DR was not for them but when I put into my system at my house and listening with my ears the change in performance was huge. I do not have any doubt that the PS 555 DR would be an improvement at another level, but unfortunately I do not have the expendable income to justify the purchase.

I retire in October and my four box system with the beautiful set of ProAc speakers is where I am today and most likely going to be for many years to come.

Good luck with your decision and enjoy the journey!

3 Likes

Your system is a system to behold seakayaker, and (from past post exchanges), is pretty much where i would like to be, in all honesty. I figure of i go for the 555 PSU then this leaves the gates wide open for a much more ambitious system. I can purchase a ex-demo XPS DR for around £3,500 at this time or go new (£4,300) or hit the 555 at around £7,000.

1 Like

I heard the 555PS DR with a 252 and 500 and it sounded superb.

Must admit my system seemed to sound as good. Made me happy with an 82 Supercap 2 x 135s NDS and 555PS.

The linn Klimax sounded a bit better than my LP12. But what I have is good enough.

Upgradeitis can be dangerous on finances. The key is to know when to stop! If you can.

At this level with the NDX2 with XPS DR we are talking about a very high end streamer worth £9000. So this is really top end. It’s gonna sound amazing.

Is there better. Always! But be happy at a certain level and draw a line under it. Enjoy the music!

3 Likes

Very wise words and that’s where i’m looking to land, to be honest. Thank you for your insight. Really appreciated man! :+1:

1 Like

That’s a nice price on the XPS DR. See if you can get more off. Tell them you’re in the market for Fraim in near future. There’s always room for greater discounts.

1 Like

I did most of my upgrades last year and spent an absolute fortune. I finally got my system to a point where I was so happy with it I stopped buying anything for it. Looking at £15000 in about 6 months, even after selling lots of previous equipment. It simply wasn’t sustainable to continue.

My next move will be Radikal for LP12 and a 552 but I am looking at that in next 3 years now.

Or maybe I will just stay put for 5 years.

1 Like

I have an Ndx2 coming on Sunday. I am slotting it in to replace my cds2
I currently have an xpsdr and will be hooking up to the ndx2.
I’m hoping for good things…
My first streamer experience
Fingers crossed
David

7 Likes

Nice one .

Be interesting to see how the ndx2 compares to the cds2

1 Like

I had the CDS2 and sold it when I got the NDS. I regret selling it but I had to financially. If you can keep the CDS2 I would. There’s something about it. It sounds more analogue like an LP12 if you get me.

Would love to have the CDS2 as well as my NDS. Sometimes you can’t have everything!

Welcome to the brave new world!

1 Like

You will get a clearer presentation. I would say more detail. The CDS2 is slightly warmer and more Olive!

I am a bit sentimental about it as I do have some regrets about selling it.

I just don’t want.you to feel the same!

No CDS2 must go if the ndx2 satisfies me.
I hope to enjoy the streamer. My demo was just the ndx2 without PS which I thought sounded great using Qobuz hi res.
The demo was using 272 into Focal 1028s.
My own system is 52/supercap and 135s - all Olive.
Also my speakers are Kudos Titan T88s
Odds are good on enjoying the ndx2 with xpsdr
David

2 Likes

Great speakers!

Very happy with my lowly Kudos C20s.

1 Like

I was adamant too. If I get the funds I may buy another CDS2!

The NDX2 sounds amazing. Look forward to hearing about how you get on with it. Be interested to see what you think the differences are in sound quality.

XPS DR without a doubt. You can DIY to 80% of a FRAIM at 10% of the cost.

3 Likes

Check out Xanthe’s thread on shelf isolation…a very inexpensive route to excellent component support system.

1 Like

I know you can get a mint two year old ex demo xpsdr for about £1000 less than what have mentioned here!

1 Like