Xps dr

So don’t take the 555 dr. If not in a few months you will be thinking of Nd555, then separates to sort out unbalanced system. And speakers to go with it.

2 Likes

The Fraim is much more than aesthetics and is definitely a black box upgrade. It grounds the system .

Here’s mine in 2007 with some gear on it.

2 Likes

I never really understand the general reluctance to place what is often tens of thousands of pounds worth of Naim electronics on Fraim.

Sure it is expensive but so is everything Naim makes and the Fraim system has been painstakingly designed to get the very best out of the black boxes. Folk don’t seem to blink at spending £7k on a single power supply for a source yet there is huge resistance (on a cost basis) to spending less than that (assuming a 6 shelf 2 stack configuration) to provide optimum isolation support for the whole system.

I can’t really see it being be based on aesthetic considerations as - to my eyes - Fraim looks superb (high quality furniture and discreet) although I guess beauty is always in the eye of the beholder!!

3 Likes

I’m hoping to buy the Fraim over the PSU. For one it’s a a lot cheaper. I reckon a base with 3x medium shelves for starters? Will this work with my current system?

I’ve made the most from Dishi Rishi today. I’m stuffed! :joy:

1 Like

Mr Rishi or Sunak,s offer officially finishes today…you may need a rethink😉

2 Likes

I’ve been thinking really hard about the XPS DR. I’m not sure that it’s going to be the best use of my funds at this stage. I’m really warming to an all black Fraim now. The bare NDX 2 is so good, unless my dealer changes my mind of course.

4 Likes

We’re on a similar journey, and at the same level. I think I mentioned on another thread that I’d go for Fraim first. Mine was luckily purchased 2nd hand, and it really has had a positive impact for my system. It just sorted out issues that I didn’t notice before. Like others have said, it seems like a black box upgrade. From very recent experience it’s like going from your ND5XS2 to the NDX2 (not that big of a jump but close). I noticed the change immediately. It’s subtle but nonetheless it’s noticable. I lust for a source power supply upgrade, but after adding Fraim it’s died down quite a bit.

1 Like

That’s the thing, i’m not lusting after an upgrade really. I’m generally happy with how things sound as they are now. Sure, there is always room for improvement but i don’t want to fall into the separates territory. If i did then the XPS DR would make a whole lot more sense.

Now i’m just after making the most of what i already have and the more i think about it the more the Fraim is making much more sense. The PSU can come much further on down the line when a great bargain may pop up at a silly price. I think i’m rushing into things. I might even hanker after a turntable yet. I love the SN3, it has everything covered.

2 Likes

Don’t worry, there’s plenty of time to stuff your face at the taxpayers’ expense on Monday. The scheme is a farce.

1 Like

Sounds reasonable. Funny a turntable will likely be my next purchase but I’m in no rush. I’m just going to let things settle for a few months.

2 Likes

Anyway i went out and purchased a new laptop today. Good riddance to the iPad, i can’t believe i’ve put up with the damn thing for so long. Give me a Windows 10 laptop with a mouse and a proper keyboard all day long. I just need to purchase a external DVD RW now for future ripping duties. How i haven’t thrown the iPad out of the window, i don’t know. Oh, i need it to control the Naim app, that’s why. Doh…

2 Likes

3rd option, to finish you : Fraimlite and Xps dr . :laughing:

2 Likes

Do you think 3 x medium shelves and a base will give enough distance between components and to keep my Hi-Line off the floor? There will also be a spare shelf for a future XPS DR?

1 Like

Three medium would be more than adequate to deal with the Burndy if you get one. You can always tie a loose knot in the Hiline if needs be.

2 Likes

That’s great info. Thanks Nigel.

And with kit at your level, there’s always room for a pair of Allaes too! :-)))

2 Likes

There’s one thing about it: compared to other racks it is very, very wide in a 2-stack config. I would have bought one but it just won’t fit.

Yup. If i spot a mint pair going, i’m in! :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Well, it might be a good idea to at least listen to the XPS DR. Off course the NDX2 is great on its own, it’s even better with the XPS though - in every regard. Adding the S/L I/C is superb as well and involves no new boxes or furniture.

4 Likes

I have an XPS DR on an original NDX and cannot say enough about it; I can only imagine it on an NDX2 (oh, to dream…). However, now looking at spending money on the Fraim, I might go that route, as you won’t know what you’re missing without the demo (e.g., it has been expressed that the OP already likes the sound as-is). Secure the furniture and add the PSU later if you’re still curious.

1 Like