XPSDR Vs 555 non-DR

I have an xps-dr powering my nds and it is sublime!! To avoid the associated expense I will NOT be listening to an nds with 555, dr or not

1 Like

Thatā€™s probably wise. The difference between the XPS DR and 555 DR is substantial!

1 Like

ā€¦ as is the costā€¦ :new_moon_with_face:

1 Like

Iā€™ve a used 555 PS on my NDX2, so Iā€™m sure you can take one for the team and find one for your NDS :sunglasses:

1 Like

I think there may be some confusion as to who is coaching the team I am locked in to, in any case the transfer (of cash) window is now closed

1 Like

I donā€™t have experience on the NDX2, but when the XPSDR was released I tried one on my CDS3 and it did give a noticable lift over the non-DR version I had at the time. However, the 555 non-DR was transformational, in a way that I liked and could not ignore, so I waited until I could afford one.
Obviously now the question is, would you like what the 555 does for your NDX2? And that could only be answered by hearing it,
Paul.

1 Like

I just canā€™t grasp a sense of ā€˜bargainā€™ or even value for money when an old transformer costs Ā£2500-Ā£3k and a beer one Ā£4500! Having said that I canā€™t find any non dr ones for sale below high Ā£3000ā€™s - I struggle with the difference in sq offered costing several grand - am I on my own?

This is really useful thank you. Iā€™ve read how amazing the 555 is on many occasions from people, hence why I was wondering if in non-DR guise it would still outperform an XPSDR. The added benefit of the 555, as pointed out by @ElMarko, is that when I eventually go to ND555 (Iā€™ve stopped using words like maybeā€¦who am I kidding right!), I donā€™t have to upgrade the PS at the same time. Obviously an ND555 deserves a 555DR (or two) but from a financial standpoint it eases the transition a little.
Iā€™ve found a mint 555 (non-DR) for under Ā£3k from a source I trust, which is what got me thinking in the first place.
Really appreciate everyoneā€™s views, but has anyone else out there ever compared 555 nonDR with XPSDR on an NDX2?

A few years ago I did that comparison on my nDAC in home demo over a week. In my view the 555PS was miles better than the XPSDR. Indeed, the improvement of the XPSDR over my then XP5XS PSU wasnā€™t that great but the 555PS took the performance into a different league. Of course, a later DR conversion on the 555PS moved the performance up another level but thatā€™s another story.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s great feedback thanks @MDS . I find it hard not to believe that a non-DR 555 doesnā€™t outperform or at the very least isnā€™t the equal of a XPSDR from a sonic point of view. Plus like I (and others) say, it opens the upgrade doorā€¦

Just remember that some people are relaying their success using older generation kit which was launched pre DR. There are quite a few accounts of non DR 555ā€™s being preferred on the NDAC over the DR version for example.

It would be interesting to learn of peopleā€™s experiences with the 2nd generation kit which was designed with DR in mind from the beginning.

As the ndx doesnā€™t use all the power lines a 555ps has to offer, so in effect you are wasting part off it, plus a dr power supply has much better regulation boards over a non dr power supply, i would certainly go for the xps dr power supply.
As apart from a bigger transformer in the 555, that youā€™re not using all off it anyway, what else is different apart from the separate burndy cables, which again you will only use one?

People are very quick to spend your money and always go big, but even naim say xps, so once again thatā€™s what i would do

1 Like

Thatā€™s true, but you are already wasting all of the internal power supply in the NDX. This is just one of many redundant parts of a Naim system which are an inevitable part of the upgrade path for many.
Some people seem to lose sleep over this. Best to just judge with your ears in my opinion.

1 Like

I agree, but canā€™t really see what gains will be had over a xps dr, as the gains to be had with a 555 is the separate burndy cables, more power lines and with this a larger transformer, 2/3ā€™s of this you wonā€™t use ever on a ndx.
Plus throw in a non dr into the mix and canā€™t see why you would want to go that way at all ?

1 Like

I think I posted about this a few years back but to summarise, when I tried a 555PSDR against 555PS on my nDAC, I preferred the non-DR version. The DR version seemed a bit ā€˜too muchā€™ . But, at that time I was running a 282/SCDR into 250 (non DR). A few years later after the 282/SC had been replaced by 552DR and the 250 replaced by a 300DR, I tried the DR version of the 555 again and my preference was reversed. I concluded that there was some synergy in a number of components in the system being ā€˜DRā€™, plus the 552DR and 300DR was much more capable of handling the extra information that the 555PSDR was allowing the nDAC to produce.

As always, trust your ears rather than what seems logical.

4 Likes

Hypothesizing and trying to quantify this stuff never works for me. Not that itā€™s wrong to try to figure out how things work (you could even say the same thing about networking :sunglasses:) but I suspect the only meaningful answer will come from listening tests.

1 Like

While I agree in general, for regulated amps itā€™s different.

I have no idea, and donā€™t care, if my CDS3 uses all of the power lines available in the 555ps,because the improvement it brought to my system, over and above the XPSDR level, was worth waiting for.
BBWan has indicated that they can source either PS for the same cost, so Iā€™m not sure where the ā€œPeople are quick to spend your moneyā€ accusation fits into this particular discussion,
Paul.

1 Like

I recall auditioning, and rejecting my dealerā€™s recommendation of a HiCap upgrade when I had a 202/200 combination as it was just ā€œtoo muchā€, but when I changed the 202 for a 282 the HiCap actually refined the sound in a very melodic way and was a very obvious upgrade.
It is all too easy to upset the balance of a system with just one component change, even the obvious or logical ones, so if you canā€™t pre-audition, be prepared for disapointment :stuck_out_tongue:
Paul.

I think itā€™s the same single Burndy in both options. Certainly with the DR versions, the 555 is quite a bit better with my NDX2 than the XPS was - more refinement and resolution being the game changers. But Iā€™d only go second hand for value for money at a system level with the NDX2.

2 Likes