XS3 exchange for NAC202/NAP200 useful and recommendable?

I am currently listening to music with an ND5XS2 in combination with an XS3 and am very satisfied. But we all know the problem here. I could buy a NAC202/NAP200 combo for a good price and probably get by with the money I make selling the XS3 without paying extra. I’m now torn as to whether it’s worth it.
Where can I expect an improvement or possibly a deterioration in sound?
The current XS3 is well tuned. Judging by the serial numbers, the combi is from 2007. Can the combi compete with the new amplifier? Would a service be in order here? An upgrade to DR is not worthwhile with the NAP200, but do I still need service? What about the NAC202?
Many questions that are currently on my mind and do not give me peace of mind. Is this an opportunity at all? Should I take advantage of it or just sit back and relax?

You would certainly need to budget for a service at that age. If you’re not going to use it with a Hicap the DR version is certainly worthwhile but this cannot be added by upgrade, you would need to trade the old one for a 200DR.
Personally I wouldn’t risk it without a demo if you’re in a good place now, or if buying used, be prepared to sell it on if it doesn’t work for you.

1 Like

Not so sure about a 202/200 of that age

Personally I’d be looking at the SN3 - some say it’s pretty close to the 202/200 not that I have compared . I have SN3 and love it , and the advice from my long term Naim dealer is it’s streets ahead of the XS3

But each to their own

1 Like

A few things: the 200 needs servicing, the 202/200 only really sounds good with both a Napsc and a Hicap, and finally the 202/200 is really too much for a ND5XS2, so you’d be looking at an NDX2 to restore balance. I’d stick with the Nait.

3 Likes

From my own thought processes around what to do with £2k and the available Naim amplification for the budget, I’d be more tempted by NAC72 NAP140.

Happy with my XS3. Though at some point, and I’m not in a hurry, I’d love to hear an olive series pre/power in my setup.

Good luck with your decision making!!

[edited to add, I think at £2k you have lots of options, new XS3, second hand SN2, mint serviced NAC72/NAP140, NAC202/NAP200 and the NAC152/NAP155 - it’s an interesting budget point :slight_smile: ]

2 Likes

Hi, I came from a ‘lesser’ pre/power combo to the 202/200 - 200 serviced last year, 202 just back from service: HUGE (very positive) difference in quality of sound - you definitely need to factor in a service

1 Like

I prefer my SN3 (with HCDR) over 202/200 (with NAPSC/HCDR) as I have explained previously.

4 Likes

I listened to the XS1 and NAC202/NAP200 in my system but do not have experience with the XS3.

I’m not sure how different is the XS3 from the XS1. Between the XS1 and NAC202/NAP200, the separates possess greater separation and detail. The pace and attack of the 202/200 are superior as the start and stop of notes are more pin point. The XS1 sounds warmer and more lush with a bunched up sound in the middle. The frequency extremes of the XS1 are less extended as the treble sounds less airy and detailed whilst the bass less defined. The bass of the XS sounds loose, rounded and smeared in comparison to the taut and punchy bass of the 202/200.

1 Like

You’d expect a £4,000 pre power to better a £2,000 integrated, but that’s really not the only issue in the OP’s system. It’s all about balance.

3 Likes

Yes, I understand balance is more important. I’m just commenting on the perceived differences between the XS1 and 202/200 which may interest the OP since he asked the question although I’m aware the XS1 is not an XS3.

1 Like

With the right speakers and a service of the combo, adding a flatcap too, the 202/200/ Nd5xs2 is very well balanced in my opinion.
I went from 152/150 to 202/200/ Hicap many years ago. For me I was astonished by the upgrade. I really said to myself “whouah “

1 Like

I’m inclined to agree, to my ears the ND5XS2 is a big improvement on the original ND5XS and I think would hold its own with a 202/200. Of course an NDX2 is better if you have the cash. (Not so sure about the Flatcap though?)

3 Likes

I vote for 202/200 + later stage
Regards
Roberto

2 Likes

Yes the ND5XS2 is rather good.

I’ve heard one at another forum members house fronting a 252/Supercap/140 into LS35A’s with the bass extenders.

An unusual system but highly engaging and it didn’t seem out of its depth to me.

2 Likes

The 202/200 will be a real upgrade over the XS and will work great with the ND5. Provided you are content that it’s from someone reputable go for it.

1 Like

I believe that system had a good write up in Mullets 4U.

2 Likes

Unfair comparison, it was with SpotifySauce.

Yummy, love mullets.

2 Likes

On paper I guess that has to be a bit of a mullet, but in reality I really do think the ND5XS2 is able to hold its own with a Naim pre/power amp, and certainly with a 202/200. I really think Naim have nailed it with the new streamers, whereas I feel that the classic amps, good though they are, seem rather expensive for the performance they offer. So ploughing a lot of money into a streaming source and underinvesting in the amp, while source first is always a safe bet, isn’t necessarily the best way to build a system that gives you the best performance for your budget.

3 Likes

Thank you very much for the lively participation with all kinds of hints. I will continue to think about this. Maybe someone can give me some information about the service costs of a 202 or 200, if this is legitimate here in the forum.

If you’re in the UK contact your local dealer who will organise return to Naim service dept, or try Class A in Sheffield, who are Naim authorised and cheaper. Otherwise contact your local Naim distributor.

1 Like