XS3 phono stage

Anyone using an external phono stage with XS3

I was. I started with the inbuilt one. Then went to Stageline N, then to a Graham Slee Accession MM.

It wasn’t night and day between the internal stage and a Stageline. It was dramatic upgrading to the Graham Slee.

Are you thinking of upgrading!?

I no longer have the XS3, but still run the GS into my Chrome Bumper setup.

1 Like

Yes. Had the Graham Slee reflex m before I bought the XS3. Both sounded as good as the other. Sold the reflex m. Looking at Vertere I lx or Trilogy Audio 906i. Can get a home demo on the Trilogy. Both are about the same£1500/166 mark. I would like to think they would be an upgrade on the XS3.

1 Like

I’m sure they will be :slight_smile:

I’m also sure the XS3 is good enough to let the improvements shine through. I used my XS3 to audition a bunch of new turntables, all running a Dynavector DV10x5 cartridge. The XS3 definitely allowed them all to come across differently.

Good luck deciding on which phono stage to go with.

Cheers. I’ve just upgraded from the 10x5 to the 20x2a. Great cartridges.

1 Like

Nice, was looking into that (the high output version) just the other day as a potential upgrade to my 10x5 :slight_smile:

H or L?

Internal phonostage xs3 or Stageline N need bright mm cartridge with high output to sound best and gives you the Naim sound. Greeham Slee phonostages sounds very different with none of the Naim qualities but with a more hifi sound.

1 Like

Ah interesting, I was about to comment that I’m massively impressed with the Stageline N but after reading your post I am using it with a 2M Black which is detailed/bright and high output.

I’d put the stageline up there with some of the much more expensive ones I’ve had.

1 Like

High

Lejonklou Slipsik might be a possibility.

1 Like

Don’t have XS3 but I run a Cyrus Classic phono into my Nait 50 as theres a fluttering type sound through the internal stage on the 50 that I can’t seem to fix. Big improvement in sound over the internal and I can run mc if I want.

1 Like

Interesting you mention this. I like the darker character of my SN3 phono stage, which I suspect is similar the one in XS3.