Yagi goes snaggy

Servicing the tuner should help, did your aerial fitter confirm signal strength to you on your favourite stations? That way you know the aerial and downlead is optimal.

1 Like

Simon, sorry, Iā€™m not sure I understand your question. Installer measured the gain at the skirting board socket and found 65-70dB on his meter. The Yagi points to Rowridge. My stations Radios 2,3, 4, Solent, and Classic FM all come from there. Is that not enough?

Assuming that is dBm it should be fine.

Thanks. Iā€™m relieved. Units were seldom my strong point.

Cannot wait to get it back.

My NAT05 is still on the bench, Iā€™m told.

A bit of patience required. Iā€™m sure itā€™s going to be great when it comes back.

The Naim serviced tuner is now back! Sounds great. The most obvious change is a new warmth. There is a deeper, clearer bass and more texture to it too.

I am also getting far more stations in stereo. No hiss.

The job sheet says that all the tantalum caps were replaced as well as the reservoir caps, and that it tested OK

Very pleased. Thank you Naim. And thanks to all who have contributed here.

8 Likes

I have just made arrangements to have my Nat 02 taken back to Salisbury for a service. I have had it for about 25 years without a service so it is overdue. Hoping it will sound magical when it comes back.

Steve

Good stuff, Steve. I hope you will be as pleased as I am.

Steve, I have just received my Olive NAT01 tuner back from a long overdue service. It no longer stayed tuned to R3 depending upon room temperature, I say R3 because I rarely listen to another station. Was away about 3 weeks but now sounds like new.
My Mother bought a Ron Smith Galaxy 17 aerial for my Christmas 2005 gift and it has been stored in my loft unused since then. Last Monday my neighbour and I decided to replace the 3 element aerial which fed the tuner with the Galaxy 17. 10m above ground.
I live 20 miles from the Peterborough transmitter, line of sight because there are no obstructions between my home and the transmitter in the Fens.
I have always liked listening to my NAT01 but now I absolutely love listening to it. The increase in signal has widened and deepened the stereo soundstage, bass much deeper and completely silent background, wouldnā€™t have believed it possible.
I think you are in for a surprise when you get yours back.

2 Likes

Really pleased for you Russ. I only listen to Radio 3 also but like you the 02 drifts off station or the balance changes. I do not have a Ron Smith Galaxy Ariel but if as hoped for there is a solid gain in performance I will look at improving my current ariel.

Once again hope you have many happy listening hours ahead of you.

Steve

The aerial is important but what sort of aerial depends on location. If you are within 20 miles of a main regional transmitter you are close, and a 3 element Yagi should be absolutely fine. (I can receive SSB on my 3 element Yagi from over 10,000 miles away :grinning:). However the considerations for optimum performance include the quality of coax cable and the aerial BalUn.
The downlink cable is crucial for minimal signal attenuation and integrity of impedance. The BalUn at the aerial is crucial to manage noise rejection in the down load coax cable, obtaining the required gain response from the aerial design, and impedance matching for optimum signal transfer depending on antenna design. Connecting a coax cable directly to a Yagi can cause a huge compromise in performance.
Unless you are in a location with much multipath distortion or you are trying to reject an interfering station, you donā€™t need fancy aerials with lots of obscure reflector elements. Sure twin driver dipole designs can be useful for obtaining twin resonance points across the VHF broadcast band where you do need a high gain aerial

So I would focus on cable and BalUn before necessarily changing aerials. Itā€™s suprising how many people donā€™t even actually use BalUns and wonder why they are not getting what they expect from their aerial. However getting competent aerial installers is becoming harder as performance aerials for Hi-Fi becomes more nicheā€¦ so unless you know what you are doing do invest the time to find an appropriate installer that understand BalUns, gain responses, and benefits of differing cables.

Edit: the one aerial I would replace without hesitation are the circular so called omni directional aerials. They are the cheap Bluetooth speaker equivalent of aerials, hugely compromised and very poor gain. A single dipole will perform better and also be omnidirectional if vertically polarised.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Sad to say that the first service on my NAT05 wasnā€™t the end of the matter.

The original fault started to reappear. It was a fault that Naim were unable to find in the factory.

My first thought was that it might be the aerial. A chat with the installer suggested this was unlikely. Forum mate HH was kindly able to help me out. At the time, he had a NAT05 on his Yagi. The substitution of his radio with mine quickly showed the fault to reappear at his place, with me in a very grumbly mood. But at least we had established where the fault lay.

My tuner has now come back from Naim. This time it has had a new tuning head. It seems to me it is now a new tuner and it sounds fantastic. Very involving. A top flight source.

Thanks HH, Audio-T and all who dealt with this job at Naim.

7 Likes

Good outcome and great to see forum members able to help each other out :+1:

1 Like

Was that Audio-T in Chandlerā€™s Ford, Chris?

It was. Alan has provided great service.

The turnaround time might have been a fortnight for this second trip to Salisbury for the new head. I got the impression that Naimā€™s existing customers come first, which was very gratifying considering the pressures that industries everywhere are facing at the moment.

2 Likes

NAT05 providing superb live FM coverage on BBC Radio Solent of events at Turf Moor this evening. If only the same adjective could be applied to my teamā€™s football!

Iā€™m fast running out of patience with Hassenhuttlā€¦ā€¦

Just so long as itā€™s not with FM!