Your best jazz 2021 albums

Enjoyed the first one too.

This one is maybe my favourite.

A “ refreshed “ John Coltrane. The Kaidi Tatham touch is wonderful here.

Komos jazz. The Red Clay tune reinvented is very cool, as the other tunes too.

From Bandcamp:

“When his mother brought Stanley Turrentine’s Salt Song LP back from a trip to Canada, Julien Lourau, then a teenager, was impressed by the scope of the sound and the groove of the saxophone. He was also charmed by the lush arrangements and funky sound of the record, typical of releases on the CTI label. Created by producer Creed Taylor, CTI left an imprint in the minds of 70s jazz fans much like Blue Note did in the 60s, and it even ended up releasing work by artists who started out on this mythical label such as Stanley Turrentine and Freddie Hubbard. The two even shared the same sound engineer, the great Rudy van Gelder.
Yet CTI, though highly prolific during its 15 years of activity, has not benefitted from the same aura as its predecessor.
“To breathe life into this album, I listened to a wealth of CTI releases and discovered some I had never heard before. I noticed, oddly, that many of today’s musicians know very little about CTI - a label unfairly considered as minor.”
The choice of tracks was determined by Julien’s personal tastes, always keeping in mind a desire to help people discover them yet focusing on the joy of actually playing them too.
“The album is made up of 9 pieces. Mathieu… afficher plus
crédits
paru le 20 août 2021

Julien Lourau : tenor and soprano saxophones
Arnaud Roulin : analog synthesizers
Léo Jassef : piano & prophet 5
Sylvain Daniel : bass
Jim Hart : drums, percussions, vibes, marimba “

1 Like

Matthew Halsall, a local lad for me. Fletcher Moss Park, an album of his of course, is one of my local parkruns.

Just listening to Salute the Sun now as I trawl through the recommendations on here whilst my wife is Christmas shopping!

Yes he’s a very talented lad not made a bad record I’m not as keen on the vocal stuff but everything else is top drawer.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.