Your listening position preference

Ouch!

4 Likes

My wife and I had a debate about whether to keep a coffee table between the listening chair and the speakers, and in the end I prevailed.

I did not want it because I think that it trapped or diverted a proportion of the sound waves coming from the speakers.

2 Likes

Yes, I sometimes move my chair to test whether various changes in the system have moved the sweet spot forward or backwards.

And I keep well away from the back wall.

2 Likes

For us the room has to be a livable/enjoyable space, not just an audiophile den. Eliminating the tables in front of my listening chair would be overboard and just make the space inconvenient to use. I seriously doubt I would ever hear a difference either way.

But then I already disobey the Naim way because I fail to dim the preamp lights and engage the mute lockout on the REC bank of buttons. I know, I know, I can’t possibly get the full benefit of my gear ignoring those important steps. :flushed:

Now if I couldn’t have a place for my pint of IPA I’m certain I would hear the difference.

2 Likes

I balance my Stressless chair on it :slightly_smiling_face:

Blockquote

Yep similar ratio for me :+1:t2:

The exact equilateral triangle would put me too close to the speakers. By the same token I don’t want to be too far back because it puts my ears behind the sweet zone. Pretty standard I suppose.

Interesting to hear other people’s views on this. For me, the experience of sitting in the sweet spot is just magical. Luckily it’s not a compromise situation for my room, it just works with the dimensions and aesthetic.

For proper listening, I much prefer to be alone. Its not a social thing for me. If there are people in the room with me, yes music will be playing but things like sweet spot considerations are insignificant.

Thanks for all comments :blush:

2 Likes

I have a table either side of the listening chair.

Double bubble!

Sounds stressful. :face_holding_back_tears::grimacing:

Seat of my pants :grinning:

Ha ha, in our house the sound waves have to live in harmony with the rest of us! No special treatment for sound waves!

Be careful, as the glass or bottle can have a marked effect on the SQ. strangely, I find that the more empty the glass, the better the system sounds. Could it be that the lesser weight of the glass affects the sound differently? Maybe there are other forces at play! :thinking:

3 Likes

Er, then what is all your hifi equipment for?

Surely shome mishtake…

I find that if the glass had Imperial IPA that has an even more remarkable effect on SQ, and it does indeed improve as the glass empties.

2 Likes

You have a chair that listens?? ( :grin:)

The side is a good place! I prefer that way myself, as no need to lean forward to pick up a drink, not in the way of my feet, and out of the main signal path. I put a small table to the side when I’m on an easychair, and when seated on the a sofa (more common), usually sitting in the middle, I have the little table against the front of it to one side of me.

There certainly is: the resonant frequency of the glass changes with volume of liquid, as does the resonant frequency of the column of air above the liquid as the level changes… (The first most noticeable with a thin walled glass without handle, especially something like a wineglass, while the latter is most noticeable when the mouth is small, such as when drinking direct from a bottle.)

1 Like

Don’t forget about the advanced sound reflection-diffusion properties in the ridges of the base on a proper IPA glass.

1 Like

It is, but changing position is about getting the correct perspective on the music, much as you might choose a different row in a concert hall.

No mistake - the equipment is used to provide the sound waves, and very good sound waves are created! However, once created they are not pampered in any way. The speakers are where they are, seating positions are where they are. The sound waves have to make their own way to our ears without any special treatment. :wink:

Also the sound changes as I tilt the glass up and my head back!

Most important effect is the change to hearing brought about by the amount consumed - obviously a change in body weight and therefore maybe more sound is absorbed! Or………

I’m glad you’re happy with them.

It is well known that speaker, and the room, and the furniture in it, and room treatments have a big effect on how the music sounds in the end.

There are many interesting threads on this forum about this.

1 Like