Your Loudspeaker history

Main Syatem

KLH331B - Pretty rubbish
AR18S - much better, especially when the NAD3020 arrived
Linn Nexus - secondhand bargain, lasted for years and sold for as much as I paid for them
Tannoy Revolution R3 - pretty good, nice all round sound for stereo and AV (Arcam AVR600 for both film and music)
PMC 20.23 - All round improvement, fixed a room interaction issue with the rear ported Tannoys. Good all rounders that make almost anything sound good, now driven by SN3, cant see them going anywhere, not overly impressed by demo of T606, especially given price to change.

2nd system

Tannoy Mercury M1 - excellent, given away as part of Godson’s first hi-fi years ago (he still has them)
B&W 601S2 - ok but move of 2nd system to bigger room exposed weaknesses a bit. Given away to parents.
Dynaudio Audience 52 - very good, especially when the original Naim Uniti arrived around 2010 (my first Naim product and introduction to streaming). Now in use as the rear surrounds on System 1.
PMC 20.23 - in black this time. Purchase motivated by my wife who thought they looked much better than the Dynaudios on their stands as well as sounding much better (temporarily installed the set from system 1 to prove the principle). Now driven and sounding great with a used SuperUniti.

I used my Audience 52SE with a UnitiQute around 2010. Now I have them wall-mounted in a near-field arrangement for my office system with an Atom. When I recently upgrade the subs in my main system from a pair of REL R-328 to S/510 I sold one of the R-328, and the second is now in my office system with the Atom/52SE.

I suspect that most Dansette users in the 1960s didn’t realise that quite so much tweakery was possible, so left their players without concrete entrenchment, transformer grade cabling, etc.

And I wonder if some clever soul could squeeze Naim’s lovely ARO into there?

Graham,

We’re drifting … but still waiting for those multiple Quad ELS photographs!

Brian D.

1 Like

I’m sorry, I got distracted, and must now go to bed. I’ll see what I can do tomorrow.

1 Like

Yours is going to be one of the most anticipated posts in System Pics ever!

No pressure then :wink:

2 Likes

System pics, or view from the listening position?

1 Like

From the Socks & Slippers Position?

2 Likes

Need to think thoroughly about this one …

• Started back in the early 90’s with the Driade, model ‘7’ - Dutch brand with a two-way system, very beautiful, also because of the triangular shape and high gloss finish - unfortunately also very unstable because of the shape!
  • Linn Tukan - still very fond memories about these little fellows, have these in an all-Linn system with various amplifiers, passive, aktive, LK100, Klout …
  • Linn Ninka’s - upgraded to these, but never really get into them …
  • Sehring S703 - German brand (from Berlin) - suggest you do a quick Google search about these ones very good, industrial looks - but also very tall at 1.10 meter! Very precise, hifi-ish speaker - but no real boogie. Only full three-way speakers I’ve ever owned
  • Neat Motive SX2 - therefore a smaller, floorstanding speaker - I think these are the ones that stayed in my system the longest - still have a weak spot for Neat anyway
  • Dynaudio Special 40 - basically back to the days with the Linn Tukan - almost 3 years now and still in love with them :slight_smile:

Pleased to hear that you are out of the asylum. I’ve a mate who has several ESL speakers. The clarity is amazing, like being in a open chamber with live musicians. Quite different from my Totems that I love with their weighty presentation that I love for rock music.

I’m sure the ESLs are delightful with a good setup for the styles of music you like.

As to the OP. My original speakers with Acoustic Research 22BX, which I had for 35 years and just sold. The on,y other speakers I have had are the Totem Forest Signatures, Hawks and Rainmakers, which are in my Naim setups.

Stevie, I’ve taken photos on my iPhone, but I can’t see on my screen the icon that you have highlighted in your post.

Have you clicked ‘Reply’ to get the reply box onscreen?
The photo icon should be somewhere in there - on my phone it’s at the bottom right of the text box, but I think on computer screens (and maybe, therefore, on Apple phone screens - I don’t know) it is at the top of the box.

Any joy?

Pic is in the perfect listening room thread

Thanks for letting me know, @Innocent_Bystander .

Last place I would have thought to look without a heads up from someone…

I suspectit was not the intentional location…

IIRC, I had some very second-hand Wharfedales in the mid 80s.

In about 1987, Jude at Grahams sold me Heybrook HB1s to go with a Creek 4040 S2 and a Rega Planar 3. Linn Index stands second-hand and long-forgotten cables.

The Heybrooks didn’t sound right in my new flat, so I got Rega ELAs second-hand in about 1990 (thanks Dice). Detail in treble and oomph but not ideal with hindsight.

Soon after, I got second-hand 72/140 and then an equally second-hand LP12. That led to a move to Shahinian Compasses. Great at lower volume and for a wide range of listening positions but easy to confuse a bit with complicated stuff played really loud, esp lots of bass (granite support bases helped but not 100% perfect) or if close to anything.

They survived a switch to Hicap and then 82/ 250, the arrival of a Marantz CD52 -II-SE(which was quickly replaced with a second-hand Naim CDS2) and various LP12 upgrades.

They worked for 14 years in my new house, but were replaced in (I think) late 2018/ early 2019 by B&W 804 D3s. They were auditioned at home against PMC Twenty5 24s (good for parties but clearly not right) and Neat Xplorers (best in the shop but just behind the B&Ws for stereo image and accurate female vocals in my house, plus turning it up excited the bouncy wooden floor too much).

The Shahinians went to the bedroom with an Atom.

More recently, I needed speakers for the Tasmanian house - concrete floor, wide room, ND5XS2/82/Hicap/250. I bought ex-dem Xplorers without hesitation and they suit it brilliantly.

I have since added Isoacoustic Gaias to B&Ws and now to Xplorers too.

After over 20 years service, A5 cable was beaten and replaced by Tellurium Q Black with B&Ws and by TQ Blue with the Compasses upstairs.

I have the old A5 in Tasmania with the Xplorers but expect to change that for Kudos KS-1, mostly for the extra bend-ability.

1 Like

Yes, there’s a photo on the Forum as of yesterday, in ‘The Perfect Listening Room’ thread. I had help posting it, and the young lady was not familiar with this Forum, so that’s where it ended up. Beggars can’t be choosers, though!

Here’s a link to the post with @graham55 's Quads (well, 2/3 of them :slight_smile: ), plus the rest of his 52/135/AV amp/NAT/Linn setup

1 Like

Here you go. You can then go to the other post and delete it. Three dots then the bin.

8 Likes