Your Mixtapes

IvoB gave me a great idea for this thread when he posted a mixtape on my Soul Music Thread. I’d like to start with he’s excellent tape but will wait either for his permission or
for him to post it himself.
So I’ll start with one of my own. Your Mixtapes can be made up of any music you wish but can we keep it to maximum of 10 tracks please I can’t wait to hear what you come up with and to listening to some of them.

Side A.

1. Bob Marley & The Wailers - Forever Loving Jah
  2. Dennis Brown - So Jah Say
  3. Don Carlos & Gold - I love Jah
  4. Black Uhuru - I Love King Selassie
  5. Nitty Gritty - Take Me To That Land
  6. Gregory Isaacs- Jah Music
  7. Barrington Levy - Jah Life
  8. Johnny Clarke - None Shall Escape The Judgement
  9. Johnny Osbourne - Jahovia
9 Likes

Here’s a short list while I think of a proper one, but what’s the (loose) connection?

Queens of the Stone Age - This Lullaby
Stone Roses - Elizabeth my Dear
Lou Reed - New York Telephone Conversation
Janis Joplin - Mercedes Benz
Bad Company - Knapsack

G

2 Likes

Bob,
You have it.
Meanwhile here is another one:

Jazz for Nando

side A – instrumental jazz

1. The way we were – Tsuyoshi Yamamoto
  2. Blue city – Isao Suzuki Quartet +1
  3. You look good to me – Oscar Peterson trio
  4. My foolish heart – The Bill Evans trio
  5. Dear old Stockholm – The Pete Jolly trio

side B – vocal

1. These bones – Fairfield four
  2. Stimela – Hugh Masekela
  3. Squeez me – Deborah Coax
  4. Open up your eyes – Mario Biondi
  5. Holding on – Gregory Porter
  6. Upojenie - Anna Maria Jopek

Ivo

2 Likes

Rain - The Beatles
Sky Pilot - Eric Burden and the Animals
Time - David Bowie
Sweet Jane - Lou Reed
Tiny Dancer - Elton John
Build Me Up Buttercup - The Foundations
Those Were The Days - Mary Hopkins
Reckless - Australian Crawl
Far Away Eyes - The Rolling Stones
Chuck E’s in Love - Rickie Lee Jones

3 Likes

One of my favourite mix tapes (called Mixie Rabbit of all things) from a girlfriend on a US market TDK SA, which was sadly destroyed by a flood. Being an artist, she had really gone to town on the look of the cassette and the inlay. The Music was great too;

It opened with Bittersweet by Big Head Todd and the Monsters, then moved to Burning Spear and Estimated Prophet. In there was also a bit of Neil Young and Harvest Moon, Tom Waits and Cold Cold Ground, Velvet underground and Sweet Jane, Some Simon & Garfunkel, a bit of the Dead, some Counting Crows and I think some Talking Heads, and a few others I can now no longer recall.

4 Likes

Hi,good thread,
1.My Brother Jake - Free
2.All I Want Is You - Roxy Music
3.Oh You Delicate Heart - Hawksley Workman
4.Cortez The Killer- Neil Young
5.Get It On - T.Rex
6.Broken Down Angel-Nazareth
7.Station To Station-Bowie
8.Feel For Me-Foy Vance
9.Comfortably Numb-Pink Floyd
10.Suppers Ready -Genesis

3 Likes

Enjoy.

2 Likes

Shame. I’ve lost all my old mixtapes recordings of Rodigans Capital Radio shows that I’d dearly love back. My other half has kept all of hers and we have a large bin liner full that we delve into every now and then.

1 Like

Here is a mixed reel tape project of mine in development - the bass line in jazz. Being a 26,5 cm brand new reel, 1100 m, the A side tracks are 14 already recorded. Still have to make a B side playlist. When the complete tape it’s ready, some 3 hours of music, the project will be transferred on 2 cassette tapes as well. The deck is Pioneer RT909. The source MacMini / Audirvana+ / Naim DAC V1. Have ideas for more mixed tape projects but the spare time is not so easy to find.

3 Likes

Great mixtape

Good thread Bobthebuilder

I went looking for my box of cassettes and ended up playing the following vinyl…

Here’s a little ‘Dub save me from the love’ mix to start my account;

Reggae got Soul - Toots and the Maytals
Rock Steady - The Marvels
Tell me why - Ernie Smith
Love’s a real thing - Super Eagles
Who’s that Lady - Paris Connection
Ring the Alarm - Tenor Saw
Man fi Cool - Roots Manuva
Popcorn - The Upsetters
In Beats we Trust - Sidestepper
UK Warriors - Roots Manuva

3 Likes

Cause Cheap Is How I Feel - Cowboy Junkies
Layla - Eri Clapton (Derek and the Dominos)
Space Cowboy - Kacey Musgraves
The Heart Of The Matter - Don Henley
Soul Eyes - Kandace Springs
Hitch Hiking - Bruce Springsteen
Save Me - k.d. lang
Just Like You - Keb’ Mo’
Pinola - Lucinda Williams
She Makes Me Feel Good - Lyle Lovett

4 Likes

The latest mixed cassette tape

2 Likes

And the finished Bass Line in Jazz project on reel

2 Likes

A nice mixtape to play whilst doing the washing up…

2 Likes

Soul Train one

2 Likes

Gosh - mixtapes! I loved making those although they were usually done for a girlfriend who I was passionate about at the time! I remember spending hours selecting just the right track for them and suspect I still have a couple of duplicates I made of them in the loft.

You’re making me want to get the Technics RSB605K cassette deck out of the loft again although I suspect it may need a service and a new head. Can anybody recommend a good place to send it? Also any ideas of the cost?

Jonathan

2 Likes

Jonathan, a basic service, which would entail a complete clean of all heads and running surfaces, replacement belts and a demagnetisation of the heads, should be well within anyone’s capabilities. Quality replacement belts are widely available although you may need to do a bit of online homework. I generally find Vintage Electronics and Marrs Communications in the States to be very reliable and of good quality.

However, if you want new heads fitted then it’s best done by a professional, but you’re into a world of expense, and I might dare say that your RSB605 deck may not be worth the trouble. Better to spend that sort of money of a better deck in better condition.

1 Like

Thanks Richard, I will pull it out of the loft and see if it’s even still working. It’s been up there for 20 years probably. Re: replacement heads I thought that might be the case and I’ve seen some very nice 3 head decks on ebay at modest prices.

Jonathan

1 Like

I never really understood the attraction of mixtapes; but now I really appreciate Roon radio and Radio Paradise. But this is because of the surprise/ pleasure rather than listening to my favourite tracks. Having said that Roon makes listening to those favourites easier.

1 Like