Your pre-Naim system?

Lots of mixed systems through the 80’s but laterally was a Cyrus 8 box system user before moving to Naim in the mid-90s.

G

1 Like

I wasn’t referring to the front grilles at all, but the speaker drivers: They have a cone, which could be made from paper, plastic, aluminium, kevlar etc, though in older speakers treated paper most common. The cone is relatively stiff. Around the cone edge is a flexible ring, sometimes corrugated, sometimes in the form of s concave or convex roll, made of paper in oldest speakers, but rubber very common by the late 1960s, and sometimes a foam plastic material has been used. That ring, which is the outer suspension for the cone, is called the cone surround. It is that cone surround when made from foam that sams to have been most prone to disintegration over time, likely related to environmental conditions. I wondered if with yours it was the surrounds, or the cones themselve which I’ve never come across before.

1 Like

Thank you for making that clearer, I easily get these this wrong. From what you say it was the cones themselves which disintegrated (paper became fragile and crumbled). But bear in mind that these were in serious neglect. They’d ceased to be of any use to me many years before, and no care whad been taken of them (eg no front grilles). They were just stuffed into an attic room with other ‘junk’ xx

I remember that shop in St. Louis!:grinning:

Immediately before my Naim kit I had a Conrad Johnson preamp with Ayre amplification, and a Thorens TD160. The CJ had a six tube on-board phono stage, but I used a Graham Slee Ref!ex M phono stage.

1 Like

Music Systems Ltd.

Before Nytech 252

After 42 / Snaps / 160

9 Likes

Kenwood system from the 1980s

2 Likes

Ours was an LP12, amplification was Nytech pre/power with ARC050 speakers.

Amps replaced with NAC72/140. Chose them instantly on hearing. Looking at prior posts, I am not alone in having the Nytech/Arc combination.

:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

1980s
Linn LP12 - NAD Amp — AR Speakers

1990s
Linn LP12 — Arcam Amp — Ruark Speakers

2000s
Linn LP12 — Naim Amp — PMC Speakers

2010s
Linn LP12 — Naim Amp — Kudos Speakers

2020s
Linn Klimax Streamer — Naim Amp — Kudos Speakers

DG…

2 Likes

Been through lots in my time , I suppose the peak was

Quad 34
Quad FM4
Quad 405-II
Quad ESL 63
Linn LP12
Linn Ittok arm
Linn Troika Cartridge
Revox A 77
Nakamichi CR7e (Nakamichi 582)
Linn Karik CD Player

Now

Naim Uniti Atom HE
Sennheiser HD800 (balanced)
All run from Roon ROCK/NUC with 4Tb internal SSD

Odd BT speakers for kitchen / patio and a Samsung HW950 Sound Bar

Sony WH - 1000 MX4 and WF - 1000 MX4 (IEM) for mobile use.

Quite minimalist considering

2 Likes

I had a similar nasty experience but just the CD’s not the kit fortunately.

I just relished the though of some wide boy trying to get rid of my Solti Wagner’s Ring “down the pub”

Fancy a bit of that Wagner stuff mate ?, great soprano …

Bit like an experience outside the Queen Elizabeth Hall of a ticket tout trying to flog knock offs for the piano guy Emil Gilllies :innocent: (all with East End accent of course, I worked in Romford so I could translate :smiling_imp:)

2 Likes

Deleted, please remove.

1 Like

Difficult one this as I still have a non-Naim system and I am not intending to get a Naim one but of course who knows?

Really enjoy the forum though!

2 Likes

Dual 504 / Marantz CD72SE into Denon PMA450 amp into Revolver Pudry Loudspeakers.

.sjb

1 Like

Cambridge AR60, Rega Planar 2, Linn Kans. All purchased from Graham’s Hi Fi back in 1975.

2 Likes

Townhend (Elite) Rock mk2, Rega RB300, DV17D2, Michell iso. Rega Cursa, Rega Maia, Thiel CS1.6.
I’d tried a Nait 5 for a month (replacing my long term Sansui AU217), with my previous Mission 700s, before getting the Rega amps and the Thiels but didn’t get on with it.

A CD5x, which I preferred to a Rega Jupiter, had me taking a second look at Naim amps, it took a 282/Hi/250 to convince me but that involved a piecemeal change as I couldn’t stretch to them all in one go. On route I diverted to a Superline and an Aro (on the Rock sans paddle) between the 282 (from a flatcap) and the Hicap, the 250-2 arrived last.

2 Likes

Sometime in the early 90s :thinking:

Pioneer PD- S801 CD player w/upside down platter and Legato Link (whatever that was)
Musical Fidelity B1 integrated amp
Tannoy 605s (irregular hexagons)
Audioquest Type 4 speaker cables
QED RCA cables

… then later an outboard Audio Alchemy ‘Digital Decoding Engine’ (all the rage)

1 Like

Resistance is futile

Arcam Alpha 7SE
NAD C340
Dynaudio Audio 60

From 1999, joined by used Nakamichi DR3 as we had a lot of tapes.
Denon TU-260L

This was our system until the children grew up and was replaced by Muso Gen 1 which was joined by Atom Headphone Edition. I miss those speakers but they had suffered from growing up with kids.

Prior to that my first separates BSR turntable, JVC Amp - I was able to cure most of the hum and Wharfdale speakers.

1 Like