Your pre-Naim system?

LP12, Basik Plus, K9, Creek 4040 S2, Heybrook HB1s, Linn Index stands. Before the LP12 was the Rega Planar 3 with K5.

All from Jude and co at Grahams in Islington.

3 Likes

Before purchasing my first Naim system, I owned a very basic but nice sounding 1980’s analogue system: An original Rega Planar 2 with the RB200 tonearm and R100 mm phono cartridge.

A Belles I amplifier and preamplifier (with left and right volume controls), and a pair of teak 15 ohm Rogers LS3/5A’s set atop a pair of the requisite bar stools. This was my foray into high end audio, and I enjoyed this system for nearly a decade before upgrading it.

1 Like

Tandberg 4025 CD, Holfi Integra 88SE and ATC A7.

1 Like

I had a Nakamichi DR3 back in the day (plus a Nakamichi BX 125 if my memory is good). The DR3 was walking fine until a couple of months ago, the BX 125 died years ago. xx

1 Like

I had one of those too. Sold it for an Arcam Alpha 5, which absolutely slaughtered it.

G

1 Like

Although my current system is not really a Naim system my last proper system was Quad 77 CD, 77 Pre Amp, 2xQuad Power Amps and B&W DM603S2’s.

1 Like

Hi mine goes back to the late '60s when I was 14 or 15, I didn’t smoke like all of my friends, so could spend my saved money on what I loved, listening to records. It helped that my dad was able to get some of the later stuff at a discount. So doing this list is a bit of a fun memory test for me!
-Teleton 7w amp, Philips belt driven TT, and speakers.
-Sinclair 15 amp kit.
-Thorens 150 replaced Philips. Shure cartridge. Tandberg reel to reel.
-Sansui amp replace Sinclair.
-Quad 33/303 replaced Sansui.
I built large boxes for Tannoy 15 inch speakers. Then brother got a house so wanted them back!
-Monitor Audio 4 (?)
-Meridian 101 and Quad 405 amps
-Smaller house smaller speakers Heybrook 1
-Bigger house - Linn Index, at the time they were large stand mounts.
(Listened to Naim 42 and 110, but no significant improvement on 101/405II)
LP12, basic arm (LP12 upgraded with power supplies and new bearings)
Mana equipment supports
Arcam Alpha 5 CD player
Naim 33.5 preamp and SNAP, way better than 101
250 chrome - changed for black
Itok arm
102 preamp/HiCap
Dynaudio Audience 50 floor standers
282 preamp
Star for CD, streaming and radio
250 upgraded to DR, Linn constantly upgraded.
Last year ND5 XS2, way better than Star for streaming and redio.
Very happy right now
Am I tempted by new classic range? Of course, have I the spare cash to justify it - no. Might be better spent on getting higher quality hearing aids!
Best wishes Amer

Funny - I thought we’d already had this thread… :thinking:

Apologies for the repetition if we did!

1966/7 - 1973 HMV mono Portable. Loved it. The Box What Started It All.

Very first ‘proper’ stereo in the 70’s:
Some weird Trio TT on funny little rubber legs/ I forget what stylus - an AT or Shure perhaps / Trio~Kenwood amp / Acoustic Research 7x

Followed by changes, late 70’s - early 80’s:

The legendary Cambridge A60/ Thorens TD160 (? I forget the exact model, only kept it for 2 weeks - had to go back and get that LP12! Irresistable.)

Followed in short order by Kans and my first Naims: 32/SNAPS/250.

2 Likes

Linn LP12, Grace 714 arm, Supex 900, Audio Dimensions mc-preamp using nuvistor valves, Kaneda/Hiraga preamp, Dyna/Audio Dimensions MkIII valve amps, Rogers LS3/5a using large Chris Thomas transmission lines as stands/subwoofers, Pioneer TX-9500 FM-tuner, Modified 2-track Revox A77 Hi-speed.

Early/mid 80s.

2 Likes

I think you may well be right about the repetition. Apologies for that. I hadn’t noticed another thread on pre-Naim system (as opposed to first Naim system). love xx

1 Like

Funny how things have come full circle. The graphic equaliser of the 80s and 90s were poo pooed by the audiophile clan.

Who now espouse the endless virtues of room correction. Using all sorts of graphical tools no less.

3 Likes

My first Naim “system” was a Nait2 which replaced a Cyrus1 powering Arcam Delta2 speakers. I still own the Nait2 (recap coming this summer) but now run a Uniti Nova powering Spatial X3 speakers. The Nova has displaced a Vinnie Rossi LIO+VR120 combination.

4 Likes

I have a couple of Mu-so 2’s so I wouldn’t claim to have a Naim system.
My first venture into hifi was back in the 1970’s when I bought an Onkyo receiver to power a good ole Gerrard deck. Can’t remember what speakers. I replaced the receiver with an amp that I built myself - probably not an improvement.
When I had the money I bought my first proper system in the 80s. A Cyrus One (the one with the awkward power button), Mission PCM CD player, Technics RS-B50 Cassette deck (with dbx that never got used), Technics ST-G6 Tuner and Monitor Audio R852MD speakers (had to replace the drivers as they fell apart).
At one time I had a Pioneer DVD, 7 channel tuner/amp and Kef subwoofer and eggs set-up to partner a huge 70kg Sony TV.
I have spent the last few decades moving around so I had a Zeppelin (the first version) until it blew up on me a couple of years ago and prompted the purchase of the musos.

2 Likes

Was running a full Benchmark Media setup before Naim. Dual AHB2’s run as bridged monoblocks, fed by an LA-4 preamp.

Dropped those for a Naim Supernait 3 after a year. Added a HCDR to the SN3 after two months (and hearing the combo in person). Haven’t looked back.

1 Like

In the late 80s I got a Saturday job and decided I needed a proper stereo. I had no real idea what I wanted but a friend said that my best bet was to buy his mate’s old system as he was upgrading to a Cambridge A60.

So for £175 I got a Dual turntable, big chrome Akai receiver and huge Kef Concerto speakers. That served until I got a proper job and I started on the upgrade trail. First purchase was a Micromega CD.

After that I got a Nait 3 and, a while later, ditched the flaky Micromega for a CD3.

3 Likes

I had a good old Dual turntable before I upgraded to a Heybrook TT2, I thought it was really good at what it did for the price. And for couple of years I was running the Dual through an A&R A60 , which I really liked (so much so that I bought a second hand one decades later just for the nostalgia) love Stevie xx

1 Like

Late 80’s preceded Naim for me. Arcam Alpha 6 amp and Alpha One CD player. Rotel turntable (RP-955 from memory). I can still listen to them all at the parents place. Not bad, but no regrets moving on.

1 Like

Afternoon guys. First post as been busy. Just dipped my foot into the Naim family. Waiting for the right time to get an Olive system. Love the looks and happy with what I got.
I have always been a fan of NAD gear, good bang for buck. Been through a few amps, always changed but kept my C320BEE, with a Sony mini disc separates deck, a NAD C516BEE and a Rega P2 I have had for years. Run them through a pair of B&W DM110 that I have had for over 27 years.
Also had NAD C338, C316, C368.
Settled on a Naim as a second system. Happy and now got the bug for more.

4 Likes

Be warned my friend. The Naim bug bites deep and has a voracious appetite! love Stevie xx

3 Likes

Linn KK, KDS, Aktiv Solo w Komri…
Never regretted the upgrade to Naim old-school :wink:

2 Likes