112/150 combination vs supernait 2

Cheers, understood

Like you box count coukd be a deƧider. Cheers Stu

1 Like

Jim. I donā€™t really want used so my upgrade woukd be pretty costly.

Well, 282 is Ā£4K and an SN3 is 3.5k.

At first you could power a 282 from your 150, iirc, and take it from there.

EDIT: but if you donā€™t want used gear, why did you say youā€™re considering buying an SN2 in your original post?

Or is it a leftover new one?

1 Like

after 12 years with a 202/200 and napsc I knew it was time for a service and decided to sell it all and get an end of line Supernait 2. It meant a single box which sounds great and a warranty. cĀ£900 on servicing the last ā€˜setā€™ of 3 boxes and couriers seemed too high a cost and more beneficial to get new kit. The changeover was Ā£600 more but I should also be 12 years until the next service. By that time Iā€™ll be 72 and probably not be able to hear the difference between serviced and unserviced amplifiers?

1 Like

Leftover new one at Ā£2k jim

You pleased???

Well, thatā€™s an absolute bargain and having a SN2, Iā€™d say just do it. Itā€™s a fantastic integrated amp and if you ever want better performance it will deliver any source improvements quite significantly and just do its thing. Itā€™s a very engaging and clean amp with plenty of balls.

2 Likes

Mike, looks like I wonā€™t look back. Cheers Stu

I would never assume anything! Thereā€™s every chance that youā€™ll love the SN2, but thereā€™s something special that a Naim separate pre/power amp can bring, that to my ears, the integrateds donā€™t have. Personally I would want to demo before committing either way.

2 Likes

Agreed, I originally came away from integrated so I suppose thatā€™s why I am being so cautious.

The singleminded pursuit of SQ is the thing.

Of course, if you do manage to compare them in a proper demo, your pre/power may need to be serviced to show what itā€™s really capable of. Even then, a new or newly serviced amp will need to run in for a while, so first impressions can be misleading.

Itā€™s just a mine field. The servicing costs are another reason I am considering the change now.

Have a look at the site of Class A in Sheffield.

Naim approved service expert, using Naim sourced parts.

iirc will cost you about Ā£400 for the pairā€¦

They will come back better than new.

Because better caps now than they used when the amps were first built.

1 Like

Jim, do you firmly believe separates are better. I had heard that class A is the way to go.

Well yes separates objectively are better, if implemented well.

Thatā€™s the entire basis of hifi.

It gets the worst vibrations and stray EM noise fields away from the sensitive parts of the system.

But in reality thereā€™s always a trade off between price and how much gear you want piled up and how the system as a whole sounds.

I have my streaming board, dac and preamp all in one box, so Iā€™m integrated at the source end, but with an external psu.

:exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.