152/155 XS combo or Nait XS2

Looking for a good match to go with the ND5 XS2. Unfortunately, I’m not close to a dealer for a demo, so my decision is mostly based on as much research and feedback I can find. I’ve read positives about both the 152/155 combo and the XS2. I could get a used XS2 for slightly less than the 152/155 combo. However the 152/155 would be brand new from a dealer. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi welcome. I thought the 152 etc was discontinued so must be old stock. Anyway no matter. I would suggest that if you were intending further upgrades in the future the pre-power would give you more flexibility. If not the XS2 is a brilliant amp and could well be all you’d ever need. Both would match superbly with your streamer.

Good luck.

Lindsay

Hello and welcome, I agree with Lindsay, the NAC152XS pre has been discontinued. However, speaking as an owner of one, it is a lovely preamp especially coupled with the NAP155XS. I’ve owned a couple of Nait XSs too (so the one before that which you are considering) and they were fab, and right for me at the time. It’s just that the pre-power takes it that bit further, with separation, gusto, involvement. I was very happy to make the move.

Enjoy your music, whichever path you take.

Chris

2 Likes

The 152/155 combo represents superb vfm. The FC pushes the 152 further.

I should consider the new Nait XS 3 though.

M.

1 Like

Great! Thank you for the suggestions! Ya, the 152/155 has been discontinued, so it would old stock, but that doesn’t matter. And I’m sure I would take an upgrade bath in the future.

Thanks

Chris

Small steps first but one great and often overlooked thing about the NAC152XS is that it can take both power outputs of the Flatcap XS. The Nait XS2 will only take one.

Please see the products pages of the Naim Audio site if you are unsure as to what a Flatcap XS is.

2 Likes

I used to own the 152xs/155 combo. Adding the Flatcap XS on both inputs of the 152xs made quite a decent improvement to the sound.

Thanks! That’s something I didn’t know and would definitely be a consideration in the future. I was already debating getting a Flapcap XS regardless

1 Like

Also for the future the 155 pairs very well with the NAC 202 and 282

2 Likes

As hinted at by Lindsay - although I haven’t done the comparison - I think if I had a 152 and was looking to upgrade I’d probably be looking to swap for a 202 over putting a FC on the152.

Personally, I think the suggested 152/155/Flatcap/ND5XS2 system is a lot of boxes for the sound you get – and it sort of undermines the beauty of slim-line boxes… Does box count matter to you?

I’ve heard one with a 252 and that was good too!

1 Like

Honestly…the first thought was to keep things minimal…that’s why I was leaning toward the Nait. At the same time…I do have some space and understand the benefit of seperares

That’s what i’d do, keep it as minimal as possible. I used to run a four box active pre-power amp slimline Naim system, I don’t miss it for one moment. I’d get a NAIT XS3 or SN3, both can be upgraded with power supplies should the urge take place. Less to go wrong with a simple system and easier to get right with installation. IMHO multi box Naim systems are really for very experienced owners. I run a ND5 XS 2 into a NAIT XS 2 and think they’re a great combo, plus you get a good headphone output stage, yet eliminating more boxes and paraphernalia.

1 Like

But the OP has the space for separates so why impose limitations on his options unnecessarily. What is right for you isn’t perhaps optimal for him? Just a thought…

1 Like

Yes this is true but the OP’s initial thoughts were to keep things minimal and it’s very easy to get carried away. I was just offering my experiences and opinions and to look at it from the other end also. Nothing more…

@Stephen_Tate I wouldn’t hold with that about experienced users and multi-box systems. It just takes a little longer to wire up. Once done that’s it.

Regards,

Lindsay

You have got some contradictory responses. As always, it will depend on your personal preference or decision. Personally I would pick the 152/155XS over Nait XS2 having tried the original Nait XS for 1 day in my system. Based on my limited experience with the Nait XS, 202/200 and 282/250, the separates are more detailed with better separation between instruments. The sound is airier and more open with the separates, warmer and lacking separation with the integrated. If you prefer a sound that is warmer and less detailed, the integrated may be a better choice.

2 Likes

In the end for me I would take SQ over anything. An extra box or two wouldn’t matter as long as the results were beneficial. I really appreciate everyones thoughts and input…I’m guessing I’ll be happy with either setup in the end.

1 Like

Oh. How does it sound? That’s my endgame set.