202/200 discontinued?!

Would you buy the idea that there is room for a ‘with streamer’ option at £8K - £10K or an UberNait at £6K-£8K (plus HCDR of course), but not both?

3 Likes

I started my Naim journey with a Nait3 and when I wanted to move to separates tried the 102/180 and though it didn’t sound awful it didn’t resonate with me like the Nait3 did. Thankfully I learned about the 72 and after trying it went that route instead. I don’t have much use for the 202 either having listened to it at the dealer when I was ready to move on from my SU. Again, the modern 72 came to the rescue by way of the 272. I dunno, that 102/202 are rather forgettable for me and don’t suspect they’ll be missed with the current options available.

It’s safe to assume a new line of electronics are on the horizon. I suspect we’ll see more discontinued products as the transition nears. The classic line is 20+ years old? What other brand has such long product cycles?

5 Likes

Yes, there’s a new digital board waiting in the wings which hasn’t seen the light of day yet so there are new products to come…

When though :thinking:

1 Like

I think there is a maker for a Super Nova or an UberNait , not both.

I think the UberNait with the NDX2 would be more likely to succeed

2 Likes

Two box NAIT555 in the 15-20k price range. I would.

1 Like

What about a juggernait.

3 Likes

I think we’re also forgetting the fact that the Uniti star and Nova are very capable units in their own right.

I also clearly remember comparing a Nait XS 1 to a 202/200 and they were already close in performance, I still bought the 202/200 but the price gap was quite big. The 202/200 had more resolution, but I could easily have lived with the Nait XS1.

Maybe that is why Naim pulled the plug on the 202/200DR

2 Likes

You forgot Statement :slight_smile: NAC S1 Pre-Amplifier £74,999, NAP S1 Power-Amplifier £64,999 (I suppose this is just one?)

1 Like

You need two S1 power amplifiers. (They are mono). But on the other hand, Statement isn’t upgradeable with external power supplies.

1 Like

I think the future of naim (and this hobby) is to get the best you can at the start and not depend so much on up-grading with either new or used equipment. Too few dealers can offer a full service facility that can also guide you and offer deals on pre-owned equipment. Not only has it gotten increasingly expensive but the visibility that dealers offered has shrunk. Naim no longer has the high visibility and aspirational panache ,at least here in the states. I’m currently contemplating the leap to a used 552 and 300 from my current 282/250 dr. Same box count basically, but I would like to simplify especially as I would have trouble installing these pieces. Not sure what will happen next but any change is towards a final system.

I know, the price list just doesn’t make it clear if £64,999 buys you one or two. I guess one, but it’s weird to not mention this in the list

That is the price for one, believe me!

2 Likes

If you need to ask… :grinning:

2 Likes

Yeah they should leave the S prices out of the list completely, just say “sufficient” or something :slight_smile:

3 Likes

NAC252 can only be powered from a SuperCap.

1 Like

I dont uderstand all the emotion over this.Naim will be aware obviously the sales rate of each item , i think we can guess at over 20years production run (amazing lets be honest and that includes all classic facia products,simply amazing run) the 202 demand is drying up .
Now consider 202 facias are used up ,but producer needs a minimum amount to make set up of jigs etc viable cost wise .Its not really that complex .The production run has to be profitable .
Each item has to justify its existence .

4 Likes

The Classic line has survived so long because it is still “classic”, it still sounds better than most other brands at it’s price point and has shunned all fads and gimmicks (eg. VU meters). One would hope it will continue so long as the sales figures can justify it.

2 Likes

Count me among those who would like to see Naim get serious about improving SQ with fewer boxes. I want 500 series sound with no more than 3 boxes.

4 Likes

Recently swapped out my original atom (which was complimented with a nap 200 ) to the Atom HE and 200!.As it’s an earlier serial number methinks a service is perhaps the prudent way to go sooner than later now they are discontinued.

2 Likes