202/200DR to SN3?

Yes the ideal of a “better integrated” had always accupied my mind. Hower, I like how Naim system automation work to allow volume control of the amp via the app so as long as I am using a Naim streamer, it make sense to stick with Naim amplification.

1 Like

I’m surprised at your findings too. Of course you should be guided by your own ears, not forum mantras, but for me, an XPS DR is a significant upgrade on an NDX, and completely transforms the 272 (although not enough for it to compete with similarly priced separates).
I never bought an XPS because I preferred the separate DAC route, but if I wasn’t running a Chord DAC off my streamer, there would definitely be an XPS in there.

2 Likes

The best , as a dream, would be something like a Statement integrated, with different modules that can be upgraded or replaced inside. You press a button and the Dac module gets out of the integrated ( like a cd loader) and you replace it with the new Dac. Another module is the streamer, another the phono stage.
No rack, like a Statement amp. 1 big box only.

1 Like

Anyone tried SC or SCDR on 202/200 setup here ? Please share your experiences on that.

upgrade to 282 before a supercap.

4 Likes

Sell the lot and get yourself an AYuShi XL 20 Stereo System, all you’ll ever need.

3 Likes

To be fair the SC or SCDR is over kill for the 202 as lovely as the 202 is - HCDR is ideal

as @Analogmusic i would (and did) consider SC for 282

I think you sound like a potential Gryphon Diablo customer.

1 Like

Yes it is. But even for 282, SC is also over kill in terms of of per equipment value relativity. Naim setups are not meant to be financially justifiable at all time. Some non Naim users would argue that Naim power supplies are always over kill to begin with.

Just forget about this SN3 idea. It doesn’t make much sense. In fact, it defies common sense.

thanks for stating the obvious. Everyone knows that. The fact of the matter is some people do not have to buy. They just borrow to try, which was precisely what the question was about. It has nothing to do with equipment price combination justification.

You are completely right. I even project to here one in the next weeks. But will it sound captivating as my gear, the big question.

A NDX 2 with a HiCap DR into a SN3 is a fantastic system. Go for it with a full confidence. I can’t imagine anyone in this big whole wide world being disappointed with such a system. Plus you gain a proper headphone and phono stage. short of more boxes. What’s not to like? :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

I haven’t ever had (or listened to) 202/200dr but I have recently acquired a supernait 3 and ndx (not bad at total outlay for £4k) and four weeks in it is sounding rather lovely. This is in my study and is running into nSats on the proper wall brackets. A big upgrade on the unitiqute I was previously using (though that is by the by).

I have an active nd555/552/ pair of 300s into SL2s downstairs so I am used to a pretty decent sound (:grimacing:) - but I still enjoy very much the ndx/sn3. To be fair I always enjoyed the uq, but the enjoyment level has improved!

I think if the OP wants to have fewer boxes and a simpler arrangement the move to sn3 would not be at all disastrous. After a few weeks I suspect the memory of any different quality of sound would be gone. I don’t mind having lots of boxes in the main system (good job - think I am at 13 or so altogether with the lp12 and its power supply and one day I will add a second 555ps to the nd555 making 14) but I quite like the simplicity in the loft / study system. Though I might ruin it in due course by adding one or two extra boxes. It’s a disease!

5 Likes

Certainly the OP’s world wouldn’t end if the 202/200 made way for a Supernait. Inevitably most of this thread consists of multi-box owners saying not to get a SN, and SN owners extolling its virtues, which ultimately doesn’t help at all. The only way forward is to listen and compare for oneself. Tim’s point about soon forgetting what went before is so true. Get what feels right and be happy.

6 Likes

That’s for you to decide, of course. The Gryphon Diablo 25 is a very good piece of HiFi equipment but I found it very, very, far from my 552/300DR system when I home demoed it a couple months ago.

Claude

Downsized from a five box 200/202 HiCap, Stageline NAPSC to a Rega Aethos and a Pro_Ject Tube Phono Stage.

I think to get the best out of a 200/202 combo you need the HiCap and NAPSC which makes it a four box system . Five boxes if you use vinyl . SN3 one box, two boxes with HiCap

The need for a simpler system came from the fact my Naim Boxes needed a service and it would be horrific with my knackered knees to try and refit the boxes in a tight area

2 Likes

Can you describe a bit the differences?

Correction: the amp I home demoed was the Gryphon 120.

As I said in Dunc’s thread, the 120 does a lot of hi-fi things very well: it has a punchy and tight bass - even the Harbeths had physical weight. Medium shows lots of detail and is articulate. Highs are precise without being overly aggressive. It does PRaT well and it can carry a tune. It’s not a one of those clinical amps that sound great but make music boring. I had a great time listening to rock and blues with the Gryphon. Led Zep rocked!

Build quality seems excellent and I would expect it to be reliable in the long term.

However, it is not as refined as my 552/300 - complex music passages (eg third movement of Rachmaninov’s 3rd piano concerto, Ashkenazy) sounded somewhat muffled and confused with the Gryphon. Switching to the Naim restored order, all instruments and music lines became easy to identify and follow.

Piano and voices on jazz and classical records were impressive with the 120. They had a slightly more forward presentation, and they tended to attract attention more than on the Naim. Ultimately, however, didn’t sound as natural (organic) as on the Naim, there was a mettalic character at times. My Harbeth SHL5 Plus showed the difference very clearly. Of course, the Gryphon 120 was newer than my fully run-in Naims, and that may have made a difference.

On the third day of demo, I listened to Gene Harris’ Alley Cats CD. I listened to the first two tracks on the Gryphon 120, was impressed with the dynamics and the level of detail, and then re-listened to those 2 tracks on the 552/300… and ended up going through the whole CD with the Naim, just for pleasure. End of the home demo.

Bear in mind, however, that the 552/300’s MSRP is more than 2 times the 120’s, so the comparison was a little unfair right from the start. That the Gryphon 120 could sustain the comparison and show definite advantages in some areas is no small feat. But ultimately, in my system and in my room the 552/300 is a clear winner.

Claude

1 Like

I’ve known a couple Diablo 300 users and in both cases constantly going back to the factory in the first year for spontaneous faults.

OTOH, they liked it enough to overlook that. But reliable doesn’t seem to describe any Gryphon I’ve heard mention of.

Obviously inspired by a trip to Dixons