2021 - Prince Discography

Some of my favourite tracks were b-sides or given to others - 17 Days, Venus de Milo, If You See Me, All My Dreams, Chocolate, but We Can Funk in to Joy In Repitition on Grafitti Bridge is a masterstroke, and a live version of Just My Imagination done in Paris I think… amazing stuff you risk missing!
:slight_smile:
Great thread

3 Likes

Agreed Grahamino :+1: The extended version of Venus de Milo, she’s always in my hair, last Christmas etc etc etc…

Is this the version of Just my Imagination you were thinking of? If so it’s worth picking up the double CD version of this great live recording :v:

2 Likes

Airdavid, I remember recording this off the TV back in the day :+1: Killing it on bass!

3 Likes

Good, but this is the one… https://youtu.be/PTn9kcZs1cg

1 Like

“Small Club - 2nd show…” bootleg is a “must have” album of Mr. Nelson! :heart:

Good evening and welcome aboard…the more the merrier!

I think Controversy is a good development from Dirty Mind. Tight and funky. His guitar is quite Nile Rodgers on Sexuality.

His ability to compose and then perform most of the music still impresses me. Pretty cool looking at the credits and seeing Prince with most of them. His bass playing is especially cool.

3 Likes

Amazing video. Can’t remember where I read this but apparently he did basically no practice beforehand. The others said hey you good for tonight? Prince said yeah I’m cool and, well we know the rest

2 Likes

Week 5 (Jan 25th): ‘1999’ - 1982 (also ‘The Time’ by The Time - 1982) - Comment: Enter the remaining members to form the revolution and we have lift off! In my opinion, 1999 marks the change from Prince being a precious talent as shown in his first 4 albums, to him becoming a world superstar. The first two tracks ‘1999’ and ‘Little red corvette’ are stone cold, play-all-day-long on the radio, commercial hits. It wouldn’t surprise me if ‘1999’ was being played on new years eve 2099, its just a hit.
I think this is a great album, start to finish. ‘Delirious’, ‘D.M.S.R’, ‘Automatic’, ‘Free’, ‘International lover’ and frankly all the rest are fantastic tracks.
However, favourite track on the album is ‘Lady cab driver’, such a cool track.
Of the music videos released with the album, ‘Automatic’ shows how confident a performer he now is, Wendy and Lisa then turn the video into something hard to describe. I don’t think they would have played the video in it entirety on MTV!
On the super Deluxe release we have an additional 24 tracks from the vault, most are original tracks or B sides and there is some good material here. Favourites are 'Irresistible bitch and ‘Bold generation’
Its really difficult to keep up with Prince during this period, it feels like he is just in creative overdrive. He was also producing for ‘The Time’, but from what I read he was writing the material, playing most of the instruments and even laying down main vocals for their lead singer to copy. That brings me onto my very favourite track of the week, ‘Get it up’ on the album ‘The Time’. It is basically a solo duel between Dr Fink on synth and Prince on lead guitar, both uncredited. It is mind blowing!

stats:
albums finished: 5
Total Album tracks: 34
Total vault tracks: 24 (*)
albums finished (production only): 1
Videos: 10
Live Concerts: 1

Week 6 (Feb 1st): ‘Purple Rain’ - 1984 (also ‘what time is it’ , ‘Ice cream castle’ by The Time. Maybe some Apollonia 6 if I can find it!)

6 Likes

Absolutely my same opinion!!

Absolutely agree with you!
I love also “All the critics love you in NY”!!

2 Likes

Ha! Snap. Great album, definitely one to come back to over and over again.

1 Like

Just reading this brings back memories. Guess I’ll have to queue up 1999 tonight.

1 Like

Automatic, Something in the Water, Free feel like filler. Mind you I’m lazy about lyrics so maybe there is more to explore, but musically these three drag a bit. But the rest is great. And I’m splitting hairs really given the album has so many standouts.

Favourite song: International Lover :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good choices, there is a great version of international lover on the super deluxe release…

I would urge anybody to give ‘get it up’, on ‘The Time’ album a listen…

1 Like

Something in the water (lyrically brilliant) & All the critics love U are my favourites from this album. They both sound like tracks which ‘could’ have come from a different album altogether… Not heard the Time albums for a good while & takes me right back :+1:

2 Likes

I think the Vanity 6 album was released in 82’…?

1 Like

i’m falling behind already! the super Deluxe version of 1999 was quite a long listen!

1 Like

Yes!

This was all you needed when it came to 1999 - the single album.

For Purple rain week, I’m going multi format

5 Likes