2021 - Prince Discography

this is a “Mr. album”: if the first two were introductory of an enfant prodige, this is part of the creative adolescence of an artistic genius at 360 degrees!

David

I agree this album has a more mature feel to it in both his sound and look although it’s his 3rd album in a couple of years so he is moving quickly through the gears. ‘When you were mine’ could feature on a album 10 years later.

2 Likes

Week 4 (Jan 18th): ‘Controversy’ - 1981 - Comment: Controversy feels vey much like a continuation of ‘Dirty Mind’ with an added dose of religion mingling into Prince’s typically sexually charged lyrics.
My Highlights are ‘Controversy’ and the excellent ‘lets work’. ‘Jack you off’ is typical Prince fare, with a innocent pop song transformed by outlandish lyrics.

Accompanying music videos for ‘Sexuality’ and ’ Controversy’ again are simple and completed with a common set.

It is a great period to start to catch-up on Prince’s live shows. Watching clips from live performances from the ‘Dirty Mind’ period and a full length performance from the ‘Controversy’ Tour, it is clear that he is becoming an incredible on stage performer. He seems to take his studio albums and through the sheer energy of his on stage shows, transforms the material and breaths new life into the tracks. Just prior to the release of ‘Controversy’, Prince was booked to open for the rolling stones and infamously was bottled off (twice!). Watching the Huston leg of the ‘Controversy tour’, it feels like he finally has enough material to put on a quality, high energy show and his stage performances were now on entirely another level. His 10 minute performance of ‘Head’ with the accompany stage theatrics are an eyeful to say the least…
1999 next (as well as a quick look at a side project with The Time) and the move into being a superstar.

stats:
albums finished: 4
Total Songs: 34
Videos: 6
Live Concerts: 1

Week 5 (Jan 25th): ‘1999’ - 1982 (also ‘The Time’ by The Time - 1982)

5 Likes

Annie Christian for me - just love how ‘angular’ & ‘spiky’ this track sounds & that all too short soaring guitar work :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Guns & religion, you know how that works…

2 Likes

It’s an interesting track, it feels very experimental. It will be interesting to see if he plays it during any concerts as it really sounds like a departure from his usual stuff. As you say, great guitar work. I would really recommend watching a live concert from this era, he cuts loose on some serious guitar solos.

1 Like

I like Prince but not a huge fan although I do own a lot of his albums. As talented as he was I always thought that his double albums would of been great if 1/2 the tracks was removed and released as a single album. To many fillers for my liking.

1 Like

I used to be a collector of Prince music, had tons of bootleg live gigs & unreleased stuff on audio cassette & video. Almost completed his entire UK discography on vinyl & saw him live 7 times…

Fan Boy? - moi? :star_struck:

4 Likes

Wow! 7 times, that’s fantastic. Just the once for me at the 02. Do you have a favourite live show?

1 Like

Lucky you, me only twice…
But as you, I do have any kind of recording of him

For 1999 week - this is the far superior version of the album - I traded mine in for the inferior double album and have regretted it ever since.

3 Likes

Good tip! will see what I can find, need to dig around abit in my old CD’s to see what version I have or else it might be whatever is on Tidal

Just as a bit of fun, at the end of 1999 I was thinking of starting an updating greatest hits album of my favourite tracks. The idea would be to list 12 favourite tracks comprised only of songs that have featured in the albums listened to upto that point. As you go along you can then swap out songs which you prefer so that by the end of the year you have a solid 12 favourites.

Favourite live show? If you mean one I attended then I would say front row seats at a couple of the 1990 London shows was pretty awesome.

Just watched this for the 9012th time!

6 Likes

Ok so where does his guitar go - watched this so many times and still unable to see where it ends up.

Prince was a brilliant guitar player but never got anywhere near the credit he deserved for it - overshadowed by his overall greatness.

2 Likes

This video is still so outstanding. Gives a taste of what his live shows were all about. I didn’t see him live 7 times, but I feel blessed to have see him 3-4 times over the years…

3 Likes

… without forgetting his first passion: the electric bass.

Wow, thanks for sharing that…absolute genius.

1 Like

I’m in catch up mode. Listening to For You now.

I agree with all you’ve said. At 19 his self-belief and talent was amazing. Some weak songs, ‘Baby’, but some crackers. Must have been quite something as a talent scout to hear his music for the first time and realise you’ve really hit upon something special.

I like much of the second album. Opening track is a classic. Sexy Dancer is tight and rhythmic. Some sappy yerrch for sure.

This is a great idea! So easy to only ever hear ‘best of’ selections, to be taking the time to actually listen to the albums the best known songs are on is fun.

Cheers, Ian

Agreed Dirty Mind is a great album. Nothing I felt like skipping.

3 Likes