250-2 and 250DR visual differences?

I had something similar with a HiCap. A generic main leads was supplied - with a low rated fuse - which blew immediately.

I think a gentle complain is needed.

A new Naim mains lead was provided, via the post. Better…

My olive 250 circa 2002.

1 Like

Its the colour which I thought seemed odd.

Most pictures of Naim internals show a black transformer… :thinking:

250DR:

Haha. Had similar with a well known Emporium hifi firm. Generic mains lead and non naim snaic. Eventually sent me brand new versions of both.

1 Like

Hah… a mere Youngster…!! My 250 is from 1985.

1 Like

The transformer looks fine for the period. Take a look here. The NAP135s used the same transformer;

1 Like

Yes, agreed… :thinking:

Seems maybe, that current (!) Nuvotem Naim transformers are black - but their earlier ones were silver…?

Correct.

1 Like

All my older Naim units have H&F - and are certainly black.

Never had the lid off any of my newer units with Nuvotem transformers in them.

More knowledge… :expressionless:

Curioser and curioser.

What have I got here?

I appear to have the heatsink with the recesses but still the 250-2 shape?

Paging @Richard.Dane for comment… :thinking:

Yes it would be nice if anyone from Naim or Richard recognises this configuration. Comparing the pictures the underside of the heat sink appears to have the 009’s.

All connected up and is working well. I am going to have to get used to the sound and then swap back to the 250-2 to compare. It seems to be have a little more bass at low levels but that could just be me and buyer expectation.

I wonder if it’s a NAP250.2 upgraded to DR spec? Or maybe a transitional model? I’m no expert here on the later classic kit so probably best for @NeilS to comment.

1 Like

Thanks Richard. It was sold as a 2016 250-2 upgraded to 250DR in 2018. Unfortunately Naim say they have no record of that. I do have a copy of the dealer invoice to the person I bought it from but no serial number is recorded on that invoice. I will contact the dealer at some stage but before doing so I wanted to have an idea of what I have- DR or not.

A question to you Richard. Were Naim dealers allowed to offer their own DR upgrade service at any time?

Edit 2014 250-2 and 2019 DR upgrade. ( Just checked the invoice)

1 Like

I don’t think so, but it was after my time at Naim so couldn’t say for sure. I do know that some distributors did DR upgrades, and some of them went a bit “off piste” at times, so there are one or two bits of “DRed” Olive kit around.

Interesting you confirm it’s an upgraded unit, I guess perhaps the original heatsinks are drilled and reused? Again, I’m sure @NeilS can enlighten on the process.

2 Likes

The entire PCB/heatsink assemblies were replaced during a DR upgrade.
@bruss your heatsinks are the correct DR ones, I’m unfamiliar with the “full” versions in the pictures above, perhaps those pics were of a pre-production unit.
If I’ve picked out the serial number correctly, your unit was updated @ Naim in Aug 2019 & the power switch was replaced at the same time.

Regards
Neil.

4 Likes

Woo-hoo - result…!!! :crazy_face:

If I have read the Serial No right (starting 37xxxx - ?), it shows that it was a 2014 build.

1 Like

Thanks Neil. That is really helpful. Unfortunately the service department had missed this when I enquired recently. A big relief. I owe you my thanks and a drink if our paths ever cross.

Yes it was my memory error above. My recent communications with Naim service department carried the correct number.

1 Like