250 vs 250 DR

Despite buying most of the Hi-fi magazines throughout the 90s Martin Colloms is one of the reviewers I would take the least notice of. :no_mouth:

1 Like

Scores aren’t everything, they merely reflect personal opinion. Some on here have tried the Allegri for example and found it really disappointing.

So, Vaggoz, are you any further forward? I recently updated my Naim system and sought advice on this forum- I learnt there is a lot of different opinions but careful consideration will reveal great advice from those that are a way ahead on the hifi escalator, often experience creates strong opinions and because we are steeped in naim small differences become sometimes become disproportionately significant… I find my old ears and poor ability to remember how a piece of music sounded just seconds after I have heard it make valued comparisons of differences between various pieces of equipment extremely difficult but I do know when the music I am listening to pulls me in, has me hearing it with new ears and makes me smile makes the research and expense of hifi so worthwhile. Ignore the dogma that says that the relative price of a product means that it can’t work with items in a different price bracket, and my thoughts on dr v non dr amps is that I’d be very nervous if asked to identify a dr amp over non dr in a blind test, lots may differ and say they sound completely different but I couldn’t justify the cost of retro fitting dr to an amp (if such a service was still available) and even if I could perceive a difference it won’t be ‘night and day’- I’m pretty certain the non dr amp would sound wonderful! - I’ve just replaced a non dr nac202/nap200 that has given me great music since 2006, the non dr nap250 you have been offered I’m sure will make a great job of powering your speakers whatever you attach it to, and as it is way less expensive than a newer amp won’t lose much if any money if it disappoints and you end up selling it. I wouldn’t worry too much about it’s age either- Naim suggest servicing of these amps at I think 12-15 years but that does not mean it will NEED servicing, it could go on performing faultlessly for many many years. Go buy it and enjoy

6 Likes

Would Ovator 600s benefit from sounding fatter? My Thiels did and the same 282/hi/250, all non DR, were very entertaining with NBLs too, even after using 500 series DR amps with them for a few years. Even knowing what I was missing it was easy not to care.

3 Likes

What a great reply - I too believe some comments are exaggerated and the posters would have difficulty in blind tests, just saying…

3 Likes

Ha! These scores crack me up!
Seriously, though, what’s the serial number on the 250? In the US, Naim dealers are supposed to sell their demo gear after a year. Having said that, $2000 for a 282/250 upgrade is quite a good deal. I think the “servicing” mentality for Naim gear is a bit overblown so I wouldn’t worry too much about this but be aware of the fact that this gear isn’t “ex-dem” - it’s used.

1 Like

Not sure why you buy a SN3 to loose money shortly after.
S600 seem wrong with a Supernait though, indeed separates would be needed.
1200GR is fine.

The old Nap 250.2 sell usually for less than 2K, more like €1500-1700, 250DR second hand around €2800-3000.
I’ve had the 250.2 and much preferred the olive/CB 250.
The 250DR is by far the better.

Indeed I have the same experience with NBLs and 500 series, it is easy not to care especially if you don’t need the extra power in a smaller room.

Hello guys.
Thank you to everyone for your kind advice.
This week i am on vacation, so most probably i will have the 282/250 to my place next week.
I will let you know my impressions…

3 Likes

Hello again.
Earlier i was at my dealers place.
We checked the serial numbers : 282 is 14 years old & 250 is 17 years old.
For me they are very old & i will not bother to take them to my place to demo them.
So deal is off.
Maybe i go for new ones when the time & money is right

4 Likes

Most dealers (at least in the UK) tend to sell off their demo amps a little more often than that!! Good that you checked their age though.
Having said that, if the amp was returned to Naim for a full service it would sound as good as it did when it was new, and it should continue to be serviceable in future, so if the price is right, an older amp can still be a good purchase.

2 Likes

Is it not possible that any dealer chooses to keep some older amps for people who wish to demo new components through the same system as they have at home?
For example, if someone has a 250 non-DR at home, better to listen to their prospective purchase through the same, known equipment. Maybe some dealers do this.
I’d have no issue with purchasing 17 year old Naim equipment, as long as it’s been recently serviced and priced accordingly.
A 282 and 250 is a great combination regardless of age or being DR’d.

1 Like

They are in need of a service that’s all

2 Likes

If cosmetically pristine I’d not be put off if pricing reflects their age.

1 Like

Assuming they’re not serviced it’s probably best not to bother unless the pricing is reflective of their age and it’s economical to get them serviced. They’d be good as new after a service so it might make sense if the price is right. But that price may not be too far off from a more recent DR 250 so something to consider.

1 Like

Or find a freshly serviced pair. I bought an eight year old 250.2 and it wasn’t much better than my 200. I put the 200 back in and sent the 250 for a service and DR and it came back a completely different amp.

1 Like

One must remember…the descrete regulator update…has a profound effect…the better regulators allow a little more resolution. Also the transistors have been upgrated…to me sonically I think it is big improvement, but, I can see how it could upset a well balanced 250.2 system.

2 Likes

Before this thread closes i would like to share my impressions of my existing system.
My system:

1. Supernait 3 & hicap dr
  2. Goldnote ph-10
  3. Technics sl1210gr & Sumiko Amethyst cartridge
  4. Ovator s-600
    I am really satisfied with my system.
    If someone asked how much, i would definitely say a 95% .
    For my ears & taste system sounds balanced.
    Sound is fat & in your face (direct) especially after the addition of the hicap dr.
    Bass is fast & fat, mids are velvet & highs are sweet without exaggeration.
    I enjoy listening to music very loud but i don’t dare to increase the volume more than 9-10 o’clock(cause it’s really loud without distortion)
    I really can’t imagine what more will add a 282/250dr combo ???
    I really don’t know if it’s a wise move to buy something else that will cost me near 7.000€ more & take a risk in case i don’t like it.
    I would appreciate your advices.
1 Like

If you are happy with what you already have, do not change it.

4 Likes

Why change when satisfied?

3 Likes