250 vs 300

Was your unit serviced at the same time when it was DR’d?

I don’t have the technical explanation, but the burndys are the most sensitive cables to set up. They must be well destretched, not touching themselves and not touching walls and floor.
I have them.

Nope, just DR since it was only 3 years old then.

And how does it affect the audio quality if done wrong?

For a supercap i understand.
There is an audio signal going true.
But with the 300 I don’t believe it.
Maybe it works as an placebo.

1 Like

Well done, sound is more open and free going.

There are hundreds of threads on that KV. And also for ps standing in another rack for optimal sound.
I invent nothing. Just tried and it works.

1 Like

Nor was it a criticism directly at you. What your ears perceive is not nonsense. Only my ears do not perceive it and it is also technically impossible. But as I said. If you perceive it and your listening pleasure is increased. Then it is a tip that everyone can try. Also costs nothing. I don’t believe in it and I don’t hear it.

Wow, even the Naim technicians are wrong!

Who would have thought it.

2 Likes

Is there a technical explanation from them? That would be super interesting.

I am a scientifically minded person, but I have no problem if there isn’t a technical explanation and it is based on listening. Science cannot explain everything, at least not yet. However if there is no technical explanation it is valid to say “I don’t hear it”. (Edit: and in a way, “technically impossible” is also not wrong, if no explanation exists or is provided)

1 Like

Just because we have no technical/scientific explanation does not mean one doesn’t exist. I am sure there are theories, but proven explanations, probably not. Some real improvements from tweaks/attention to detail are inexplicable.

Additionally, audible differences may not be detectable by all.

That’s what I said, but if there is no technical explanation it seems a bit weird to cite technicians. If it’s based on listening, people may or may not hear it.
Edit: and if there is one, it would be extremely interesting to read it

1 Like

I only cited Naim technicians as we got a detailed demonstration from a Naim techie of how to destress and attach Burndy cables at the last Factory tour.

A very experienced chap, and I did not get the impression he was misguided. No explanation of why careful Burndy fitting makes a difference to SQ, though.

2 Likes

I see. And I fully agree with the the other stuff (I think added after my reply or I am blind). Sometimes things just work or not, and generally I trust what Naim says, they have far more experience and time for this. Better to just do what they say instead of losing sleep over “maybe I should”. Still, it’s an interesting mystery and any hint of a technical explanation would be most welcome

1 Like

Just like the green monster I’m sure is at the bottom of my garden. Just because no one has seen it doesn’t mean it isn’t there - and I challenge you to prove me wrong!

Perhaps @Darkebear could explain which are the technical reasons that explain why Burndys have to be destretched , free flowing, and not touching anything.

Show the video please.

Distressing a cable can only be demonstrated behind closed doors. Public demonstrations could attract the men in white coats!

3 Likes

Absolutely no public floggings with a burndy😁

I have no idea why Burndies are sensible to vibrations and/or mechanical stress.

But I very much know why electronics are.

I suppose, can imagine, that complex cables like those Burndies aren’t immune to vibrations and/or mechanical stress.

As for electronics, you may find several publications directly, or indirectly, related to the subject. Google is your friend :wink:

Does proper « cable dressing » have an impact on music reproduction?

In my experience, yes. Marginal, but real.

But marginal, doesn’t mean none.

Of course, some describe that impact with hyperboles :roll_eyes:, and like being something as noticeable as changing electronics… this is not my experience.

Cable dressing, in my experience, has a rather small, but noticeable, impact. Especially with revealing systems.

1 Like