250DR vs Classic for my setup

Hello, your opinion on my dilemma please.

My basic set up this year will be:
272, XPS DR, Oppo, Rega Planar 6 and Focal Aria 926. It will be completed with a 250 later this year. I have been led to believe that a new 250 Classic is the way to go.

Decided today to check with Naim because that’s a big investment for me.

Their opinion with my current setup is the 250DR is the best choice for me. Although the Classic is amazing, the increased cost to sound quality is not justified with my current components. By the way, the 272 and XPS DR were bought new pre Covid and remain unboxed (long story). I don’t have any future plans to upgrade going forward after the 250 purchase. Hope all that makes sense.

What do ye think?

Thanks

By any standards the 250dr remains an excellent amp so you won’t go wrong with that. The various components you have are made for each other.

2 Likes

The 250DR will make you smile and there are likely to be a few bargains on the secondhand market due to the NC250. Good timing (pun intended) for you!

3 Likes

I think the 250 DR is the best option here, given the rest of your gear. You may well find a discounted new 250 DR, now that the NC 250 is out.

1 Like

I doubt very much the increased cost to sound quality is justified under any conditions.

2 Likes

Mike I found a new one for €3,450. How does that sound?

3 Likes

New? If so, that’s an excellent buy.

Yes new.

1 Like

That’s a truly amazing deal - buy with confidence!

2 Likes

Excellent deal, I wouldn’t hesitate on that.

Thanks everyone. On to nirvana at least in my price range.

Next month heading to an acquaintance to listen and enjoy their Naim Statement, custom made Italian speakers, Kozma turntable, and the list goes on. Should be mind blowing would be my suspicion.

1 Like

Unless you want to set your current system on fire, I would advise against enjoying said Statement. :grin:

2 Likes

I would follow Naim’s advice and go with the 250DR and as others have said, some real ex dem or secondhand bargains out there at the moment.

5 Likes

272, XPS DR, 250 DR is exactly what I have and I am very happy with it.

2 Likes

As you don’t plan to upgrade the 272, it makes total sense to get the 250DR. The thre boxes together make a great setup and match visually. If you planned to swap the 272 for a 222, then a NC250 would make more sense.

1 Like

I’ve been wrestling with the same dilemma @Woody and I’ve just purchased an ex demo 250 DR with full warranty for half the price of the new 250. I demoed the new 250 and whilst it’s an excellent amp and a step up, the performance is not twice as good. I’m sure you’ll enjoy your new 250 DR for many years to come.

2 Likes

There are no ‘bad’ 250’s - other than un-serviced ones (the 250 does perhaps need servicing more so, than the lesser NAP’s).

Like beers & wines, all are good, in different ways… :expressionless:

3 Likes

Enjoy! I had a 272/XPSDR/250DR for several years. It gave me a great deal of pleasure and I’m sure it’ll do the same for you.

Roger

1 Like

I would love to get a deal like that. I will live in hope since I’m currently saving to swap my sn3 for 282/hcdr/250dr

1 Like

Dan I have the fire extinguisher on hand haha I will tell ye all about my experience (Statement, etc) when I take the trip out there.

Thanks everyone. I’m 250DR bound :wink:

3 Likes