252/sc -> 552dr

That was my findings as well.

1 Like

And the remote is just obscene. No other word for it :joy:

1 Like

Wow, you already think the 552 is better than the 252. The 552 is a so much better when burned in and settled down. The sound will relax and just float from the speakers as burn in starts to take effect. Be aware though that you’ll have days during the next few weeks when it will sound disappointing but it will get better again as burn in continues. It really is a great pre when settled in, listening to mine now and still blown away after 10 years with it.

2 Likes

It’s a somewhat different presentation. I’ve read about it being more forward than the 252 and I have to agree, but it doesn’t lose any of the detail in fact it’s adding more. That’s a great description about the sound floating from the speakers, and I can relate to that already.

2 Likes

I found you had far more detail and clarity without being harsh the music seems to be more in the room and the soundstage is superb.

2 Likes

But you would say that, Stu… as you just invested in one… ha ha [ you’re on the nail - it’s the truth]

Cheers

Phil P

1 Like

Exactly right up my alley, in a more emotive way, without killing my ears with shrillness.

1 Like

I still don’t get it. The new 552 Dr is £12,500 more than the new 250 and supercap (? presumably dr’d). So with the 552 fully serviced it seems a fantastic bargain especially as the gap has grown since the December 21 price increases. Congratulations to @Stu299

1 Like

Vibrant and sparkling but no shrillness at all, not the slightest hint.

1 Like

For anyone interested there is a non Naim dealer in Suffolk selling a Nap 500 Dr and NAC 552 Dr (2020) for £28k. Not sure if he would split them as a novice in these matters I get the impression that more people are looking for a 552 than a 500.

There is what seems like a very well priced DR’d 552 on the auction site.

Been trying to think how best to describe the effect of this amp on my system.

The word that keeps coming back to me is frightening.

2 Likes

Apt.

1 Like

Huge expectations have been surpassed. Wildly.

1 Like

It’s when we know, we’ve reached a certain place where we don’t need nor want anything else.

Bliss is a such calming feeling when we’re smiling from being happy, listening.

You’ve clearly travelled the same path and reached the same destination Naimniac.

And it’s not a bad place to be is it :grin:

The upgrade itch never truly subsides though, does it? We wouldn’t be here otherwise…

ha ha

It does… when we finally get what we want… for a time.

Yes I did travel that path and was really happy with my olive system then… Vomited some blood with the expense but it was worth every cent for me. I was just proud to have the system and kept looking forward to getting home at the end of the day where I could retire in my man cave for some music after time with family. Sometimes I’d be too tired to even listen… but just looking at the set-up was a visually sexy :grimacing: :sweat_smile: [not sure that’s the word but ya get the drift…] experience, unknown to the significant half, of course… The system had a magical touch for me. I remember thinking, I didn’t want nor need to change anything after, so it was a good place to be. Listening to my olive Naims was an emotive experience each time - it brought me happiness.

We’re here because… it’s a kinda madness that stokes most of our male egos to be owning some of the very best hi fi equipment out there and be part of the Naim jig and story. :crazy_face: I swear it’s gotta do something with the green lights emanating from the boxes at night.

4 Likes

:alien:

2 Likes

I love reading these experiences.

Enjoy ~

2 Likes

I don’t😉

5 Likes