272/555DR/250DR --> 222/555DR/250 observations

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Just wanted to provide an update. About three months ago I lost the right channel on my 250NC. In the middle of the night I was awakened by a sudden hum/static noise coming from the right speaker. Units are left powered up as always with volume muted on the 222. The noise was constant and unaffected by actuation of the volume gain. After some switching around of cables it was clear the amp had failed. Contacted my dealer and he initiated the ticket process on his end. After a month of no updates and stalling I sent an email to “ordersus@focal-naim.com” and got a prompt response with the support team added to the conversation and ticket assigned. There was a sizable queue and it took 5 weeks before they got to my ticket. Once diagnosed a part was needed from the UK. Another two weeks went by with no updates and I replied emphasizing that I’d been quite patient through this process and deserve better service. They agreed and sent me a new 250NC rather than make me wait for the repair of the old unit.

25 years and ownership of many olive, OC, and now NC kit and this is the first failure I’ve had. It’s too bad the failure occurred at a time when Naim is struggling with servicing their products. In the interim I pulled an old NAD T770 out of retirement and connected to the RCA out of the 222 with some cheap RCA cables. It didn’t sound too bad and my ears adjusted to the new sound. But as soon as I plugged in the new 250NC I remembered how magical that amp is. Happy to have it back.

13 Likes

I would want the unit swapping for a new one aswel, its not very old is it? i had a slight imbalance with the volume pot on my 252 when i first bought it, was swapped straight away

I do wonder if, outside this forum at least, Naim (Focal) has become just another manufacturer.

Bought myself a not inexpensive streamer recently, I didn’t even try a Naim option.

Same for some CDP/transport considerations in the last few months.

1 Like

Any tips you can share on set up I haven’t received my NSC222/NAP250 yet so any help would be greatly appreciated

Place the components on your rack, plug in, and enjoy. They don’t need any special set up.

Well the new 250NC has been in my system for over a month now and all is back to normal. Every day I’m amazed at the music these three boxes produce. On the plus side I am pleased at how easy it was to use the RCA outs on the 222 into another amp while the 250 was away. The near three months I used the NAD amp my ears seemed to adjust and I thought, “it doesn’t sound terrible”. But from the instant I plugged in the new 250, cold out of the box, it was a remarkable uplift and transformation. And after a few days it’s clear the other amp was not even close. Hopefully no more failures in my future, don’t want to have to go through that RA process again.

6 Likes

Did your nap 250 replaced or repaired considering the unit was new and a few months old.

Hi @BackToNaim , they were initially going to repair the unit but after some delay with sourcing the part and some prodding from me they opted to send me a new unit.

3 Likes

Update, new amp has settled in and sounding better than ever. This NC kit really is remarkable. Excellent sound quality, well integrated and easy to use. I’m using Qobuz much more now than with the 272 and the work arounds. So much easier to enjoy.

2 Likes