272 upgrade over Atom

That would only increase the disappointment eventually. He was not obliged to say this, if there is no successor it would surely be better not saying it if the goal was to minimize disappointment

1 Like

We will see….

In your position I’d be thinking of keeping your ND555, or downsizing to an NDX2, and then swapping the amps for a Supernait 3. I bet it would be more satisfying than Atom HE and 250. Please don’t take this as an intended thread diversion, it’s merely a suggestion in this particular scenario.

It’s a lovely combination, but - unsurprisingly - a big step down in performance from your ND555. As @anon4489532 wisely says, NDX 2 + Supernait 3 would be less boxes and less compromise.

1 Like

My money is that a new product will be launched later in September, ideal for stereo reproduction.
It will be called The Equinox :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

No, and no. Next!

2 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:

My thinking here is that leatherneck already has the 555PS, so it’s an obvious option with an NDX2, or simply keeping the existing 555. The 272 is an excellent product, which I used with 555 and a 300DR. But I must say, I find the current simpler NDX2, 555 and SN3 better in terms of conveying the musical message. Source first really cannot be beaten and the NDX2 seems far better than the 272. Maybe a new 272 really isn’t needed after all? What a thought.

Hi @Pauljdh, I think this all depends on how much money you’re prepared to invest in your system over the next couple of years. If the price of the 272 is really low and you really don’t need the extra facilities that the new streaming platform offers, it could be worth going for the deal. But as @ChrisSU points out, you’d also need to purchase a NAS, transfer your music to it and install or at least set up server software on it. Alternatively, you could wait for a 272 replacement. But there’s no guarantee you wouldn’t be waiting indefinitely and if one does come, my guess is that it’ll cost serious money. If that’s no problem, I think I’d hang on perhaps to the end of the year. Otherwise I’d look at Clare’s suggestion of an Atom HE. You’d be making the most of what the Atom offers when used with an external power amp.

Alternatively, you could just stick with what you’ve got and invest in lots of music.

Roger

I do like Clares suggestion, I had assumed it would be the same as what Ive got in terms of pre and dac but maybe not so worth pursuing!

1 Like

I wonder how many years more people will believe in it :joy:

Considering that we have had a little pandemic between the commonly expected release and now, the delay is not at all surprising. In particular as it was probably one of Naim’s biggest sellers (at least for my dealer), so would have to be produced in considerable numbers.

1 Like

The 272 will appear when the orbit of Venus will be aligned directly between earth and sun.
If you google search, you will know when it will occur.

1 Like

Well before Muso and Atom I guess?

As far as I can tell, most people seem to have expected it in spring 2020. Right or wrongly, but it somewhat coincides with the discontinuation email for the 272.

I don’t think anyone expected a 272 successor “well before Atom and Mu-so” because the 272 was released in 2015, the Atom in 2017, the Mu-so 1 in 2014, and Mu-so 2 in 2019

I was speaking in terms of the quantity of the sells. Even if the years are different. If you take for instance 2014, I wonder how many Muso Naim have sold vs 272 for the same year.

1 Like

I misunderstood, sorry. Well I don’t know Naim’s numbers, but my dealer said that Naim would be crazy not to replace it because it was my dealer’s biggest Naim seller. Whether that’s just for classic or including Unitis and Mu-sos I don’t know.

In any case, it’s probably large numbers for Naim. And we are witnessing how long it’s taking to build just 500 Solstices and the agony of buyers over waiting for months. So it’s not completely crazy to assume that Naim wants some stability before releasing a product that will surely sell much more.

(In addition, a 272 successor would be hand built in UK, which is probably not entirely comparable to building Mu-sos in China)

3 Likes

Certainly I would have thought the 272 was the prime seller in the Classic range , these days in the Classic range I would guess the basic streamer and the NDX2 would be the front runners.

With the Atom and Nova also being in the top five selling products

Yes, I know the SN3/NDX-2 combo makes the most sense. It’s just that the Atom HE is such a joy to use and I love the remote.
My health and age are what’s forcing me to give up my 500 system. I need to simplify things.
I’m finding that I listen to my Atom HE and Mu-So most often because they are easy to use. As it is now I have most of my investment in speaker listening and really don’t need it.
Going to the SN3/NDX-2 is a simple plug and play exercise. No new cables needed. I just want to avoid going down the power supply rabbit hole again on the NDX-2.
Anyway, thanks for the honest opinion. I’ll probably have my Naim dealer come and get all the 500 kit and replace it with the SN2/NDX-2
Before I do that I might have Chord make me a cable to let me try my Atom HE driving my 300 DR.

2 Likes

Yes I agree with you and Claire. See my response to her.