282/250 and Audioquest Niagara 5000

Here is my current system:

Streaming Service: Tidal Hifi
Software: Roon on a Roon Nucleus music server
Source: Naim NDX 2 (with XPS non-DR)
Preamplifier: Naim NAC 282 (with 2xHiCap DR, NAPSC)
Power Amplifier: Naim NAP 250 (non-DR)
Speakers: Graham Audio LS5/9 BBC Monitors
Other: Cisco 2960 Switch, Chord Epic Streaming Cable, Naim HiLine DIN-DIN interconnect, Naim NAC A5 speaker cable, isoblue hifi rack

I listen to ambient music, modern classical music and soundtracks in a small room (25 feet x 11 feet with a 10.75 foot ceiling) in a near field setting at low volume.

I was happy with my system, but I thought it was a tad slow.

Also, I thought the noise floor could be lower - I was missing out on some bass extension.

Two weeks ago, I added an Audioquest Niagara 5000 power conditioner and an Audioquest Tornado High Current power cable to my system. It took 10 days for the power conditioner and power cable to settle down, but it has transformed my system.

My system has become transparent: the speakers disappear and the music fills the room. The soundstage is deep and wide with improved imaging and detail.

The music has better pace, rhythm and timing and it is more dynamic, yet the music remains relaxed and emotional.

The noise floor is deep and black, and the bass is detailed and extended.

In short, the Audioquest Niagara 5000 has calmed my system. Music flows with an impressive amount of control and authority with no loss to Naim Audio’s sonic character and no loss to the BBC Monitor’s sonic character.

I have been in the Naim Audio family for about 10 years, and this is the most dramatic upgrade I have experienced. I believe the Audioquest Niagara 5000 brings out the best qualities of my current system.

I would love to hear from other people who have added power a conditioner to their Naim Audio system.

10 Likes

I should add I live in a condominium with 22 units.

Not at all surprised. I added a niagara 1000 to a 272/250 system before an xps dr and found the niagara to be a huge upgrade vs the latter.

1 Like

I use a Shunyata Denali 6000 v.2 same performance level as the Niagara can’t understand why more folks aren’t using high performance PLC’s maybe it’s the let’s stick to Weber Carbs syndrome LOL

1 Like

I have used a Niagara 1200 in my system for a few years and have loved what it does. As you say, the Naim character remains intact but the music flows a little more easily and authoritatively. A great upgrade in my experience. Thanks for posting.

2 Likes

HI @razzzor1963 , I am considering a Power Conditioner as well. When you acquired the AQ5000, have you compared it to other offerings and what made you decide for the AQ?

Cheers
Iver

A friend of mine is extremely satisfied with Lab12 Gordian which I’m planning to evaluate.

Hi IvdZ, the Audioquest Niagara 5000 is my first power conditioner. A friend of mine uses the Niagara 1000 with his Naim Supernait 2, Naim HiCap DR and Naim CD player. I read about the Niagara line of power conditioners and its designer (Garth Powell), and I took a leap of faith. So far, I am happy with the results. I did not compare it to any other power conditioner. (Previously I was using two power strips (CablePro and WireWorld).

2 Likes

+1 exactly the same experience here with a Niagara 1200

A friend plays with a Niagara 5000 on a top of the line Classé system, exactly the same transformation as @razzzor1963 describes

3 Likes

In our case we have added a separate audio circuit when we built our house in 2007. And even then, I wash astonished by the positive difference the Niagara 1200 made in our system.

4 Likes

Even having a separate consumer unit and feed just for the hifi still means its connected to the house feed and the rest of the country etc.
It does help but it doesn’t separate them.
I have never tried a power conditioner like this and maybe I should give it a go and see if it does indeed inpove things

1 Like

I have a Niagara 3000 and a Niagara 1200. Running NDX2 through Naim 252 and Naim 300DR for music and an ARCAM 550 for theatre. Two independent power circuits (20A ad 15A). Happy with the system. Sleep better knowing I have good surge/transient protection without impacting power flows (the way the cheap strips can do).

1 Like

The 250DR is a significant upgrade over the standard 250.2 - if you haven’t tried it I’d recommend a demo.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.