Power Strip

I use the AV Options one too. It’s a modified Wiremold which have been recommended for Naim boxes as long as I can remember. AV Options is Chris West’s company and he is a long time Naim-approved expert for Naim service and DR upgrades.

3 Likes

Isol-8 here without any mumbo jumpo. Great stuff.

2 Likes

I’m on the lookout for a new power strip too.

A simple high quality strip with good components & build, star wiring and nothing else is not easy to find. The Isol-8 looks like it but the IEC inlet sits in the wrong place for my setup.

Any experience with this one? The Puritan PS108 ‘Purist’. Ticks all the boxes but I found an inside picture and it has star wiring from a small PCB in the centre of the strip. Hmm… :thinking:

1 Like

May I ask,if there are any opinions about the Isotek aquarius or Audioquest niagara,used with Naim kit???
Thanks in advance.

Lots of old threads full of opinions about the Niagara

I recently added an Audioquest Niagara 5000 to my 282/250.

282/250 and Audioquest Niagara 5000

1 Like

Sorry my fault.
I meant the niagara 1200.
Thank you.

3 Likes

Powerline Axis DC Blocker. Works wonders with my supply & system.

G

2 Likes

I think that Hydras and Power Igels may be illegal here in the States. For your system the AV Options Wiremold or the ordinary Wiremold would be huge bang for the buck.

If you don’t have a proper TT stand, I’d do that first.

I think you need to be clear about what you want to achieve here, otherwise this is just another exercise in expensive retail therapy.
If you have poor mains supply which is prone to power surges, having a surge protector might be helpful. It will not give you protection against lightning strikes though.
If you have a problem with DC offset there are products that might help with this. If you don’t, you’ll be wasting your money buying one.
If you can measure and diagnose any specific problems on your mains, by all means buy a product designed to solve it. Otherwise, at the very least you should insist on a home demo if your dealer is trying to get you to buy a product when you have have no idea if you need it or not.

6 Likes

I use a Niagara 1200 and a Niagara 3000 as recommended by my dealer. They make all kinds of promises, which I cannot confirm but at a minimum these units don’t seem to do any harm in terms of SQ. What AQ Niagara do promise, and I accept, is to deliver 100% surge protection, which is important - I’ve lost a printer to a surge issue and I sure don’t want to lose any NAIM gear. And they promise to do this without messing up the power signal. I don’t trust the standard cheap surge protectors because I don’t know what they do to the power signal characteristics when normal power draws (as with a power amp) occur.

6 Likes

You can try to get a good deal on the Audience AV Forte PDC replacement -
forte power - (audience-av.com)

I like what it does.

Why does it need caps on the AC receptacle?

No idea. To keep dust out of the unused sockets?

G

I thought it stopped the electricity leaking out :grinning:

6 Likes

Yup - electrons leak out of the sockets otherwise, and they’re a devil to scrub out of the carpet once they do.

Mark

3 Likes

US members may recall, Chris Koster, formally with the US Naim distributor, worked in conjunction with Audience to develop the Adept Response PDC (power distribution center). The unit had no power filtration and was a good option for those Naim systems with power needs. From my understanding, the unit is no longer made, but they do crop up from time to time on those audio sites. Maybe Audience would fashion a new PDC to these specs if one asked. I’m wondering if anyone here has had any experience with it.

3 Likes

or to get more money out of your wallet :thinking:

Good point. I want to achieve the best performance and appropriate mains solution.

To re-iterate: I have a decent panel, no real issues, extreme storms occasionally, and one major power outage in the last three years.

I don’t think a lightning strike is likely at my house, but a sense of security around my investments is always good.

What’s a good way to measure and diagnose or find if there are any issues?

I agree with the AVOptions Wiremold with Tibia+12 PC recommendations. It closely resembles the old CablePro NANA (Naim Audio North America) Noisetrapper that is sadly no longer made. I used it for years before discovering power regeneration. I feel, based on your OP, it is exactly what you are looking for without the power conditioning or wild expense. Much of this is going to depend on what your goal is.