282/250DR....hmmm...or SN3?

Interesting, I had the opposite effect. Did you buy yours new or used? What got me interested in the Allegri was the fact that some well known reviewers are using it to review some top Naim source and power amps.

Mine was sold by a dealer as used, but I’m pretty sure it was new and unused judging by its condition. I may send it back to Townshend and get them to check it over before giving up on it.

Well the technical difference between a passive preamp like the Allegri and an active one like a NAC is nearly the same as passive vs active crossovers. With a passive, signal normalisation functions like bandwidth limiting are driven by the line level signal itself. Now I’m not saying that makes it inferior. I’ve come to accept the truth that some good passive crossovers outperform some good active ones. But it does make it very different. As with passive crossovers performing well being hugely dependent on the power amp, so to are passive preamps hugely dependent on the output stage of the source to drive the passive components.

Interesting… I’ve tried to pair my nap 250 with a Linn preamp and direct from Dave

All I can say is that my 282 stays in my system !

I thank you all for the great replies.
To answer one point about having the top integrated vs ‘mid’ separates, I think having a 282/Headline/HCDRs/250DR would be my ‘end game’ amplification - I really don’t think I’d want to upgrade further beyond possibly, just possibly, going to SCDR at some point. But in that feeble excuse I have for a mind, I don’t think so…plus, there’s the question of having the money again in future. I don’t do the lottery!
The question of phono stages is interesting - I’ll have to think further on this.
The appeal of the SN3 is it being the (so far) top of Naim’s integrated line and the removal of one box - the headphone amp. But the appeal of the separates is…in part, I get back to my long-gone but beloved 32/250 setup, and I think (until I hear this in a dem I can only fantasise) a quality of SQ to see me happily out…
The possibility of buying HCDR and Headline used is on the table of course, possibly even the 250 if immaculate.
A long (or possibly short! lol) dem between the options will be mandatory - looking forward to it.

One aside that I have been chewing over is whether, in either option, replacing my ancient but still cooking IttokLVII with Ekos SE. More affordable with SN3, but until funds come in I won’t know if doable with 282etc.
And there is always my ongoing lust for a Fraim!
More affordable going with SN3, but…

I love those ‘buts’…!

Thank you all again. I’ll post my new setup in due course! :smiley:

3 Likes

Gawd. Time goes slowly waiting for the funds…

OK, think I have two systems to decide between (in both dem and cost). Each will have my LP12 as principal source. CD either my CD5X or a ‘pre-loved’ CDX2/similar. Speakers in both remain as ProAc Response 1SC. Headphone facility is a must.

This is based on what the total cost of each option is vs however much £££ I have, and how each option sounds vs that amount.

System 1:
SN3/HCDR (one or two depending…)/Ekos SE/Stageline/Fraim.

System 2:
282/just possibly 252/Headline/HCDR x2/200 or 250 DR/just possibly Ekos SE or stay with Ittok LVII. Stay with existing Atacama Evoque SE as rack, possibly change to Fraimlite.

Stylus for both remains Krystal or possibly Kandid with system 1.

How will both sound? Bloody marvellous no doubt…but I haven’t heard either. Nor tried Fraim vs Fraimlite, vs Atacama.

Some serious dem time upcoming, methinks.
Plus, I have to add up the total for each system. I am expecting to have 15 - 20k available.

And yes, I’d consider Superline and Supercap if I could afford them secondhand.

Am I barking up the wrong tree with either of these systems?

It will come down to suck it and see, no doubt.

I recently went from 202/200/HCDR to 282/250DR/HCDR/NAPSC x 2/Headline 2 and it was a stunning upgrade tbh. I’d highly recommend the 282/250DR route.

4 Likes

@Toon

Very nice, Toon!
I’m wondering, if I can afford one, about a Fraim needing five levels for my system 2.
250 on the bottom, then 282, then (as in your photo) HL, HC etc. CDP next shelf. Lingo 4 and Stageline on top (my Linn is wall-mounted too).
Not sure I want the Stageline on the same shelf as the Lingo.

And I really need to see what a 5/(gulp - 6) shelf Fraim looks like in terms of height…dealer visit!

• in your pic, they’re not Hicaps are they? They look like Stagelines? Is the box above your power amp a Hicap?

Hi - here’s what’s on the shelves from bottom to top…

LEFT (Brains)

NDX
Headline 2 (centre) + 2 x NAPSC2 (one for 282 and the other for Headline)
Cyrus Phono Signature phono stage
Sennheiser HD800s

RIGHT (Brawn)

250DR
HCDR (for the 282)
Cyrus PSXR2 (power supply for phono stage)
Linn Radikal

And…on the top where it belongs…LP12
Tiger Paw VulKan wall shelf

Speakers (out of shot)… PMC Twenty5.26
Speaker cable …WitchHat Phantom

I used to have a 6 shelf Fraim but it was on the limits of stability with LP12 on top so I bought another base and split them into what you see in the pic. A great move.

HTH?

2 Likes

I would put the 282 as high as possible, away from the power amp and PSUs. On the top shelf if possible , or the second one.

1 Like

282/hc dr. 250dr. will kill SN3
But, big price difference

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.