282 gourmet

I thought moving from a HCDR to SCDR was a vertical move also - though that’s by no means a universal opinion around these parts. I thought 282 to 252 was a vertical move also.

2 Likes

As a Naim cliente, I allways went for big vertical moves. First cd3+72+140, tried and said no to the hicap, then cdx2+202+200, nothing in bettwen, then cdx2+202+hicapdr+napsc+200, then cdx2/ndx2+282+hicapdr+napsc+300dr, nothing in between.
The supercapdr yes, the 252 no.
Maybe I need a 552…

Well if the finances allow, why not ?

Yes, that is correct - on both counts. The system grounding (common to both channels, not different) and lack of other differences ( between 2 HiCaps).

I have to risk raising an Elephant In The Room here. Some people claim that a single HiCap is better than 2 HiCaps, with a 282 or 82 - or is not worthwhile - but changing to a Supercap is.
YMMV - but I have 2 HiCaps (which are similar, but not identical), with my 82.

To me its simple - if you like 1 Hicap, or 2 HiCaps or a SuperCap, with your 282 or 82 - then just enjoy it. Stop worrying…!!! Buy & play more music…!!!

4 Likes

I think it is too. Yes you do lose a bit of boogie (not much really) but you gain a lot more than you lose imo. So overall, I’d say it’s a vertical move. Others will disagree I’m sure…as is only right and proper.

1 Like

My 252 has always boogied - but maybe I’m easily pleased!

1 Like

That’s how I demo new stuff. I don’t try to listen for what I expect or want to hear, I just listen. Going back to the old set up instantly tells you if your missing what the new bit was doing.

1 Like

Agree Steviebee. They both boogie. The 252 gives you better insight. It amazes me that so many people on the Forum prefer the 282. I just don’t get it tbh. That’s not to malign other peoples choices, I just find the 252 superb. Remember it is Naims improved version of the already mighty 52.

4 Likes

Maybe… they have a 282 (or 82…) - and are content, happy and just buy more music…?

Just my view… as an 82 owner… :slightly_smiling_face:

(the 282/82 could be considered as Naim’s ‘cutdown’ version of the 252/52…)

1 Like

I had an 82 Ian and loved it. I could still happily own it now. My point is that the 252 is better and I was lucky enough to be able to afford one. No criticism implied.

3 Likes

The 252 gives you better insight, that´s true.
And that somehow dominates the presentation, all the nuances of the recorded music became more evident.
The 282 goes other direction, the music and the interpreter gets first place.
From my Hifi beginings, with Audiolab8000A and Marantz CD80, I never liked when your attention goes more to the detail than to the music. That is why I went for the CD3+72+140 at that time.

Interesting! Does your answer mean that you find it more fun to listen with 282 than with 252?

Doesn’t all this just come down to money really ? I’ve just gone from 202/200 to 282/250DR, I could have gone higher 252/… but then it gets out of control needing a SuperCap too and chasing diminishing returns so decided on SL speaker cable and NEAT Petite 30’s speaker upgrade instead

1 Like

Demonstrates how we all hear differently (thankfully). For me, it was the 282 that gave the detail, the whizzbang if you will, and the 252 that resolved that detail etc back into music, while still swinging a la 282 - hence a more emotional reaction for me (which was only heightened with the addition of the 300DR, the degree of which I hadn’t anticipated). Insight for me meaning not the display of instruments etc or the technique of the recording, but the ability for me to get more emotional connection with the performance and, hopefully, the musical intent.

I played many records and CDs with the 282/250 and it was great fun! Loved it. But…tiring after a bit - very tiring at volume.
Haven’t had that with 252/300 , only fun, plus

For me, the Naim hierarchy worked - I’m very happy to stick here on the gradient - and I’m very fortunate to be able to, of course.
There’s always ‘better’ but at a price I couldn’t justify, currently. It is about £££, of course, and where one is happy to draw the line.

4 Likes

It would be interesting to see if someone have compared one HCDR vs. one SCDR connected on socket one only to a 82 or 282. If the SCDR wins it means that it has a tighter spec transfo or a higher quality DR module.

Basically yes.
Or I didnt find the 252 improving what impressed me with the Supercap with the 282

1 Like

For me… yes.
Law of diminuish returns, you have to draw a line somewhere.

I spent my money on a 252/SC and kept the Naca5 - for me that was a better use of the resources available but YMMV of course…

1 Like

Adding another big box (SC) would’ve made my gear not easy on the eye as it would be right angle to everything else as for NACA5 definitely will not be missed

It is an interesting debate isn’’t it. Naim designed certain components to naturally match with each other and then we come along and destroy that design synergy and endlessly compare if it is better than the Naim design. I hold my hand up to doing just that but wondered before going to the 552dr with the 300 dr whether it was going to be a waste of hard earned for a small return. I can only say that the 252/scdr it replaced sounded very good indeed. The 552 sounds to me to give something extra and I am fortunately able to indulge myself. I am however sure I will only hear its full potential though when (if) I can add a 500 in the future.

I think its much the same throughout the range, my 82 does sound better with a sc rather than one or two hicaps but is the sc being fully utilised without a 252? Probably not.
We spend what we can to make the improvements we hear. If we don’t hear any improvement then time to either sell the out of place component or continue the upgrade path with its other design matched components.

Knowing when to stop is the key. One day I will learn that skill. :grinning:

2 Likes