282 & NDX2 better than a 222?

Congrats :+1:

Happy listening
R

1 Like

I hope you didn’t pay brand new prices. For the MSRP of a 282/HCDR you could buy a 332 which is a better preamp even before adding an NPX300.

I paid £2650 for a brand new, 2023 built, 282&Napsc.

5 Likes

Well, the 282 is here. I’ll update once it settles. Right from a cold start and using an aftermarket PS (plus the brand new NAPSC) until a SCDR comes along, it slightly betters the 272.

8 Likes

Looking good :+1:

1 Like

Congrats.
Looking forward to hearing more about that.

R

1 Like

This is tough to admit.

I’ve been so adamant blaming both 250DR and 300DR for the lack of power when driving Special 40, Heritage Specials and now 25.23 when in fact the 272 (which I had 2 pairs of, since 2017) was the culprit all along.

My speakers came alive since I’ve added the 282. Sure, more resolution, separation, finesse and all that. But the way the PMCs get so energized is absolutely amazing.

I remember going from 250DR to 300DR (while having the 272 as pre) and thinking it wasn’t worth the trouble. It pushed the speakers a bit harder but still, the same lazy, gutless, out of puff sound that I sub conscientiously learned to avoid while getting my fix downstairs on the Qute2/Focal actives system.

Going back to the 282 and mind you, powered by a cheap aftermarket PS until I regain my financial balance, it is everything I wanted and missed out with the old 272. I had no idea these slim towers can rock so hard, I had to dial the REL sub several clicks down, they are this visceral now.

I feel like an idiot now, having ill advised countless times so many members in here. And although speakers have a big impact on the overall SQ, it always goes back to the source (as I’m starting to learn for myself), as advised time and time again by the most experienced of you.

12 Likes

Interested read. Thanks for sharing those insightful thoughts.

I suspect I had a similar moment. Maybe you read my update post?
Last week at my dealer - listening to passive PMC 23i with NC250 and SN3 ( as pre section only ). It was lovely to listen to.

Source was ND5 XS2 → nDAC. ( Which isn’t a million miles away from your source NDX2).

With the dealer, the next thing we did was switch a few things around. Using same source, adding in better pre-amplifier NAC332. Also converting PMC 23i to active.

Once we starting listening again, there was a “wow” moment. The discovery of a certain synergy between disparate parts, coming together.

That’s a nice phrase.
Adding in the better pre-amplifier created a similar effect last week :+1: ( Reported in the update)

Tony, the guy at my dealers, explained from his experience how “good source first, then good pre-amplifier, next” is a maxim in the Naim world. Wins out time and time again, etc. In that moment, learned something too.

Glad you’re enjoying that 282.
I might be following you.
R

2 Likes

I had a 282,250DR,NDX, Hicap DR etc and it was great, but oh so many boxes. I now have a NC222/250 and in the context of our home and how we listen to music as a family it’s wonderful. So simple and elegant. I don’t miss the mass of green boxes at all.

7 Likes

Is that an NC250 or 250dr? I went this week from ndx hc 282 to nc222 (sticking with 250dr) and am so far very pleased with the result (though only had one listening day so far)

4 Likes

Having watched this thread for quite some time, and to respond to the OP’s original question, in a word, no.

Just my opinion of course, so could be completely wrong :grin:.

ATB, J

3 Likes

Roger that :+1:
Think that was my assessment too.

The 222 is great.
But think you might need to go to 333 + 332 to better NDX2 + 282.

BW
R

4 Likes

NC250. Went all in and love it.

2 Likes

The soul of the 282 I guess. No out of puff sound from this preamp!

2 Likes

That’s it for me too and my new home hifi benchmark and reference point. They seem to work so well with my Martens too.

333+332 would improve on NDX2+282 and so would 222 in the context of the NC more neutral and engaging sound. The 282 does help the NDX2 for more “vivace” compared to e.g. the SN3.
The NC power amps are faster too.

1 Like

In Naim world the pre is king… I never believed in the 272 with anything more than a 200. YMMV of course…

2 Likes

Sure, think everyone now agrees, NC brings a different sound signature.

1 Like

I simply did not like the 200 series sound. Would have been cheaper to like it, too.

2 Likes

I have to acknowledge that the biggest single shift in my system hands down has been the pre amp followed by a power supply in my source. I didn’t want to acknowledge it but it transformed my system. It just didn’t seem logical all the way along….

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.