2x555DR vs. 1x555DR on a ND555

I’m amazed that despite a super clean power supply and two CD555PSDR, your ND555 is outperformed by a humble P9!

The P9 always punched above its weight in sheer fun factor - once I heard one I was sold, and out went the naimed-up LP12!

Hi Thomas, no website as far as I am aware, I think this is more word to mouth, but I will check.
R

1 Like

What is it and where to buy?

Only available in Switzerland - French speaking side. Let me know and I will pass on details.
As an aside I fired up my old olive system this week and the sound is jaw-droppingly good, way better than I remember (and that is coming from a 552/500 main system). I attribute some of this to the mains supply quality - not sure I would’ve gone the 500 route with what I am hearing today from the 135s. Fast, tight, deep bass, extended highs, beautiful expressive mid-range (although this is the area where the 500 steps it up!) The sometimes slightly shrill character nowhere to be seen… really superb!

I would be interested in your views of what difference the addition of a second PS to your ND555 makes.

Hi Nigel, more bass was the immediate positive.
I suspect things will develop over the coming weeks and months as is Naim’s way. Im running in some SL cables too which probably doesn’t help matters. It’s a big chunk of cash but has got me to the happy place where my speakers are the next distant upgrade. I’ll give this 12 month to settle down and report back now and again.

2 Likes

Listening to Tom Misch - I did if for you from What Kinda Music, it struck me that everything sounded more real. The drums in particular were extremely realistic. It’s all a bit up and down (it’s only day 2!) but brings high hopes for future sound improvements.

It may be more beneficial to others to have the last 3 posts moved to a more relevant thread as Hens Teeth may not be the obvious search for some :sweat_smile:.
Perhaps 2x555DR vs. 1x555DR on a ND555

There’s lots more info in some older threads

Maybe @Richard.Dane could assist here.

1 Like

Moved over for you.

1 Like

Thank you Richard !

Greater bass extension and control for me, too. But also greater detail, texture and microdynamics across the spectrum, which is what really got me

2 Likes

Spot on……it is difficult to look inside these beasts and think another power supply could make a difference…bu it really does.

Hi Nigel,
I’ve recently moved from one to two 555PS on my ND555. Love to be able to tell you that you can be happy with one PS, but I think you strongly suspect that you are not and sadly, you are correct.
You know that one PS sounds incredible, but there is a whole ‘nother level of authority, realism, speed, clarity, involvement and enjoyment to be had.
Sorry!

2 Likes

Thanks a lot guys….I think. :grimacing:

I should always remember……‘if you don’t want to know the answer, don’t ask the question’.

3 Likes

Just go and borrow one, Nigel. You know it’s the only way. You also know you want to!

2 Likes

You are a bad man Clive.

Every time I have ‘borrowed’ something from my Naim dealer I have ended up buying it.

One day, though.

1 Like

If you reverse my name, it spells evil C. :smiling_imp:

6 Likes

The second PS for the ND555 is clearly more than the icing on the cake but I think a NAP500 and/or replacing my speakers takes priority at this stage. So that will take a while to sort out/afford.

Might be a nd555 replacement by then……front end first😉

Gawd, this is like spinning plates!

3 Likes