300 Series

May be not necessarily as the pop would be half dipped in black ink?

It will be more revealing of everything!

And this is what may be the clincher. Greater detail gives insight to good recordings and shows the flaws with poorer recordings. Our Naim gear, regardless of which series we have, communicates music in a way we all find pleasing - my hope is that the 300 series adds to the enjoyment rather than being too analytical.

Many other brands offer masses of detail but IMHO, at the expense of enjoyment. I like to be able to play whichever bit of music I desire rather than having my choice determined by quality of recording only.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a better and more detailed explanation than I gave. Itā€™s worth noting that I had 555PSDR on my 272 with 250DR and the 222/250 alone had a noticeably lower noise floor and I wouldnā€™t have thought it could go much lower than what I already had. You donā€™t realize itā€™s there until itā€™s gone. The net effect is more musical information while maintaining a warm presentation absent harshness.

Speaking strictly for digital playback, historically I would agree. In every iteration of classic separates, integrateds, and all in ones Iā€™ve owned there was always a sizeable number of recordings I didnā€™t find enjoyable. But with this new kit so much of my collection is now enjoyable again. Perhaps itā€™s the lower noise floor and/or lack of harshness that is responsible donā€™t know. Even some of the lesser recordings have a more palatable/warmer presentation now without the fatigue.

Anyone noticed any humming transformers in the NC kit, or has that been eliminated?

Yes and No :neutral_face:

1 Like

Wow! That is an excellent explanation @ElMarko , it appears that you have increased your musical enjoyment by a considerable margin. Obviously I will have to hear for myself but it is encouraging that you find the 30cm series more musical.

1 Like

Hi @Stu299 , I very much doubt it. The transformers are still the top class offerings made in Northern Ireland but the basic design is the same. The hum is a a ā€˜featureā€™ of toroidal transformers!

1 Like

Donegal I believe :wink:

My bad! Eire it is!

Having had both the 250DR isnā€™t close to the NC250. It was so much better I thought I had the 250DR out of phase.

i know, you have often shared on it. But they are not a lot of other people here who have comparedā€¦
Itā€™s not that i donā€™t trust you, just would like to read what others think too.

2 Likes

Having heard both, the NC is better than the DR. I think having heard the NC250 and 350 now, that Naim has managed to put the NC250 closer to the 300DR and the 350 closer to the 500. Which is pretty much what I expected to be honest.
And whilst on listening to the new kit, I was able to briefly compare the 222/300 v 333/332 without power supplies into the 250 and 350 at the weekend. The 333/332 was definitely better, with a more spacious sound and a lower noise floor. I also was able to compare the 222/300 into the 250 and 350. The 350 had much more authority and immediacy etc. However, having made this comparison I think when I change my DR I will go for the 250 and eventually spend the saved 6K on a new switch and more music.

5 Likes

Anyone else monitoring the effect on OC P/L prices since the NC launched? Iā€™d say theyā€™ve dropped 20-25%. I wonder if theyā€™ve bottomed out or if thereā€™s more to come?

I think they will come back up, especially as you cannot get power supplies for amps etc and Ā£5k+is a lot for a 300PS compared to an XPS DR

2 Likes

I reckon it still has some more reductions to go. There are currently 14 NDX2s on eBay and one of the cheaper ones (Ā£3.5k) is from a UK dealer, but theyā€™re not selling. Those that have sold are going for Ā£3-3.5k.
282s seen going for less than Ā£1.5k, 250DRs regularly now around Ā£1.7k.
These some bargains out there, but with the amount of supply out there, I suspect many items will fall further yet.

1 Like

I am sure this must have been raised before but why is there no facility for ā€˜Naimitesā€™ to sell/buy their gear via this forum?

Surely it would make more sense than relying on eBay or others?

2 Likes

In the states I recently sold my 250DR for what I paid for it which I got for a good deal 3 years ago. I think certain components will hold their value (ie 250DR). 272s are hitting the market now so those prices have dropped. Iā€™ll likely hang on to mine and see how the market shakes out before selling. I got it at a good price so shouldnā€™t have to take too much of a hit on it but not too concerned if I do.

I think youā€™re right. Prices will fall and also dealers will want to get the old kit of their hands. I also think that Naim may bring out a new Fraim. I just bought 2 Fraimlite shelves for Ā£280 from a dealer. New price Ā£389 each. Preparing for purchase of ND5XS2 going into NDS to be used as DAC.

They want to get rid of old kit asap. I think bargains are to be had. Like I said 300DR serviced for Ā£3k is a great price and if its slightly better than 250NC or as good as then its a steal. 2 x 135s are worth Ā£2200. So Ā£3k for 300 DR is excellent price. I donā€™t think it will go much lower than that. Newer units will cost more, as thatā€™s price for older 300DR. But I reckon dealers will be prepared to shave money off if you ask them. Ask them whatā€™s the bottom line and when they say that go silent. And then see if they can do better.

1 Like

Talking to dealer today he is very excited by new Naim kit and they will push that. He said that as autumn comes in itā€™s their best time to sale stuff. If sales of new Naim kit go well they will be keen to offload the classic gear. Keep your eyes peeled because I think it will be bargain season for classic series units over autumn and winter.