300 Series

If I recall correctly, all the dealer demo stock of the 200 series was made in Salisbury. That’s likely to be the case with the dealer demos of the 300 series, of which that’s one. It has no bearing on where future 300 boxes are made.

I imagine that if someone is so wedded to a Salisbury assembled box they could ask for one.

There has been mention of xenophobia on this thread. I don’t believe there is evidence of this. And I don’t believe people think the Slovakian made boxes are in any way inferior to those assembled in Salisbury.

It’s more a matter of feelings to me. Naim has always been a fine British company, selling goods around the world and receiving royal awards for export. There is just something really good about a British made product. The ‘made in Slovakia’ label means that somehow it’s not quite the same, even though objectively it is.

I recently bought an Ercol table that’s made at the factory in Princes Risborough. They outsource some of their range to China, Turkey and other countries. But I’ve been the the Ercol factory and I wanted something made there. It just feels good to have that connection between the thing and the place.

It’s exactly how I feel about Naim. It’s not xenophobic, it’s not logical, it’s just a feeling. I have sone China made Qbs and that’s fine. I’m just pleased that my Nova is made in Salisbury.

It will be interesting to see whether full production reverts entirely to Salisbury once the initial rush dies down. With a smaller range of products, there is no reason why that should not be the case.

10 Likes

Definitely not…
If you’ll read my post, again, you will see that I brought these two manufacturers by chance, as a comparison to quality brands, without any connection or interest, to their ability to produce excellent products.
and in this context-
Would you buy an Omega watch made in China, for example, or anywhere else but Switzerland?
In the end, the quality should be the same in both places, right?!
In my personal opinion - I would not purchase from the first alternative, because the brand is important to me, no less than its quality…

I can confirm that Seiko do produce good watches across their range. I own a Prospex Sumo in green. I certainly don’t feel the need to spend any more on a watch and for me it was a lot. Omega and Rolex etc. are about owning a label and flaunting it. That’s not what I’m about. Knowingly understated, that’s me. :blush:

2 Likes

You sound like an IWC kind of person. Someone who appreciates quality and heritage, but not someone who likes to attract attention.

5 Likes

Understated yes but a bit rich for me. Although I believe they hold their value very well and in some cases appreciate. It’s funny what people like isn’t it?

Ps: no offence intended to Omega or Rolex owners :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Paul, do you think that we are in an unbranded forum?!
Naim is a high brand in the industry and it’s good thing.
Without ignoring other manufacturers which produce no less good/branded products…

I feel this argument has gone as far as possible personally so am bowing out now

2 Likes

With great respect, I don’t agree at all.

I have a Rolex watch, and would never swap it. It has recently come back from being serviced, after more than ten years of ownership. It didn’t really need servicing, but I had chipped the crystal glass which was bugging me, and Rolex always service the watch when repairing or replacing anything.

I’m 68 years old, so this watch will see me out - as will my (mostly) 30-year-old Naim equipment.

5 Likes

My post was for information only, as I have reported the NAC 332 is here for a few days in other threads.

Actually, it does have a bearing on where future 300 boxes are made - why would Salisbury stop? They could be made in both places.

2 Likes

I’m sorry to see you come to this conclusion…
In an open and cultured forum, there are a variety of opinions.
I respect them all, but not in an offensive or uncivilized way.
Have a nice Day, :tea:

1 Like

Obviously not but I will admit, slightly embarrassingly that when I first chose Naim it was because I liked the look rather than the brand. Ok it was relatively risk free as I bought a 92/90 combo very cheaply (less than the Seiko :joy:). Moving up the food chain is just proof that the brand does deliver in buckets for me. And all by chance really. The thing with Naim is that it’s been around for a long time and nothing every stays the same (despite some of the lyrics of Rush’s Circumstances). Naim of the 90s was a different beast to Focal/Naim of today. For me anyway.

1 Like

Junior… :wink:

Well I think we’ve successfully diverted the thread from Slovakiagate to Rolexgate. Now back to the 300 series. :wink:

3 Likes

Look is there anyone out there able to report having heard the 300s wherever they were made.

1 Like

I am staggered by the lack of actual listening reports. Surely more than just one person on here went to have a listen yesterday

Maybe they were listening all night and have had a massive lie in? The new 300 series could just be that good :grinning:

Or maybe they are burying bad news :hushed:

3 Likes

Or it could be they want them run in properly and to have listened to a decent amount of music for a decent length of time before offering their opinions?

3 Likes

@NigelB is supposed to spread some smoke and mirrors here. He listened to the 300 series yesterday. Watch this space.

1 Like

Blimey.

2 Likes