300: to DR or not to DR

Well I preferred a none DR300 to a 250DR no comparison, 300 every time.

2 Likes

You know GraemeH, I really miss the true truths threads in the cough cough Lounge.
What ever happened to Berlin Fritz i wonder innit

You know it makes sense innit :rofl:

2 Likes

Art and design can be very strange sometimes. They could terrify some children I guess.

1 Like

Some prefer the 250 dr, in their room and system, vs 300 dr. I am one of those.
However, in most cases, the 300 dr will work better, because it’s just better. But not in 100% of the cases.

1 Like

300DR bests 250DR (in my room, system etc).
Major step up for me, which being a longstanding 250 fan was quite a moment!

2 Likes

I went from 300 dr to 500 non dr. It was a significant improvement in my system for me. More control and bass definition stood out. I then had 500 dr and that was another step up

1 Like

Thank you this is exactly the first hand comparison I’d hoped for

Of all the Naim changes I’ve done over the years the one that is light years ahead of all the pre amps, amp or source is the move to a 552DR.

I concur. What did you upgrade the 552 from?

The mighty 252DR, previously 282/SCDR and before that the 272/555DR.

All fantastic pre’s but the 552 is something else.

1 Like
  1. ND555 source first
3 Likes

I believe I read incorrectly the description of your system .

I went straight from the beginning… to the end of your system description.

Missing the middle and the fact that the end describes your second system :sweat_smile:

Sometimes doing many things at same time leads to misreadings :sweat_smile:

Yes, the Kudos 606 are fine speakers and a great match for the 300DR, if you choose the 300DR path.

If you don’t plan to upgrade to the 500DR at some point then the 552DR/300DR set will be perfect. I have had that combination.

But if you’re craving for the 500DR, then wait for a good opportunity. It’s worth it.

The leap between the 300DR and the 500DR is considerable. I also had the 500DR and compared both for some time (in my own system).

The 500DR is quite a step above the 300DR.

The 500DR series is a very good system within its price range (I’m referring to the price list from before the increase, last December).

2 Likes

The thing is, there is always something better. It’s important to enjoy what you have. If you are really enjoying things, then keep on enjoying them. I’d only then consider the 500DR long term, if you really feel the need and are comfortable with the cost. Playing around with the 300 or non DR stuff is probably not the best use of any upgrade funds. Good luck.

2 Likes

You’re not going to like this.

Don’t bother fiddling with the 300 until you have optimised your source. That means swapping the NDS for a ND555. You will then get the very best from the 552DR and 300. I do realise however that you may not have the funds for this yet. If that is the case, sit back and enjoy what you have, which is a superb system.

Only my very humble opinion, and I admit to being a source first fanboy, which has always served me well in the SQ stakes.

3 Likes

Yes, this is the danger of the vortex of making changes to an already very good system. You really have to decide how much you are going to invest for further improvements. The step up in cost from the NDS or NDX2 to the ND555 is significant, as is a 300 to 500 (or a 250 to 300 for that matter). Sometimes finding a sweet spot with a system you enjoy is a good place to stop, otherwise the pull of the vortex becomes dangerous and expensive.

6 Likes

Spot on, Mike.

2 Likes

I’m not sure you’re right here. Until not that long ago the NDS was the top streamer in the range and sat quite happily with 500 series amplification. Normally I would advocate source/pre/power as the priority order for upgrades but I’m not sure it’s quite so clear cut here. It would certainly be worth demoing both the ND555 and 500DR to see which the OP thinks gives the best use of his money within his room/system.

I went ND555 first and then chose to upgrade my speakers (PMC 20.26’s to Titan 707’s). Perhaps I should have done the power amp first but I’m enjoying what I have. I don’t have an urge to upgrade the 300DR to a 500DR due to the cost of a new unit. If an opportunity for a second hand one comes up in future and I have the funds :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

You’ve all made some great points thank you, and yes I really must avoid the vortex due to other more pressing priorities at this time. It’s all going to need some serious thinking through…

2 Likes

I have compared my NDS to a ND555 (both with a PS555DR) in my system at home (552/250DR/MA GX300 Gold speakers).

Believe me the ND555 is s considerable step up from the NDS, which was the best streamer Naim could make at the time so had to be used with a 500 system. The names (and price) of these streamers also gives a clue as to the level that are pitched at.

The problem with trying to improve an already capable, balanced system like the OP’s is that you have to spend a considerable amount of money to get a meaningful improvement. This can also entail changing more than one item to retain balance.

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, I have lots of “what if” moments to. Probably spend too long on the forum….

2 Likes