300DR to 500DR - any regrets?

The 552DR performs well with the 250DR whatever you put in front of it, or feed it in to.
The downside is the 552 will show both the best and the worst of what is either side. However I would get the 552 first and then improve the source as and if required.

1 Like

Nothing will be out of balance, you can actually quite happily pair the 552 with a 200 or even 150. Of course it will give even more when paired with a better source and/or power amp. Iā€™ve previously described the 282 as visceral and the 252 as mature but neither exclusively so whereas the 552 does both and a whole lot more, in effect what it does - the 552 - is just completely immerse the listener in the music.

1 Like

Looking forward to pics of the real McCoy then, when they surface

1 Like

Iā€™m researching CD Players: the Rega Saturn has excellent reviews. Any suggestions?

Totally - 552 1st then amp next - replacing the 250.2 will be a big jump as you will hear the full benifits of 552 and the new ampā€¦(nice!) Donā€™t worry about your speakers - they will convey most of the upgradeā€¦so I would do them last. You might just be very suprised of their capability! Just to put this into context I ran humble PMC 20.21 speakers on the end of a 500 front endā€¦they sounded fantasticā€¦but ultimately I upgraded them - with Vivid S12ā€™s which are incredibleā€¦(I have a small room)

1 Like

I suggest streaming - and rip any cds you have to losslessā€¦there are plenty of nice streamers out thereā€¦if you are starting you could try something like a IFI Zen Stream with a WDmycloud Nas driveā€¦this would give you pretty good performance and the luxury of Roon. If you have more money later upgrade to one of the Naimsā€¦
How about the new classic series have a chat with your local dealerā€¦you have lots of exciting optionsā€¦ You donā€™t have to go down the 552 routeā€¦to get excellent results, a second hand 552 is still serious money.

Based on an improved source and if the 552DR is a great price, go for it.

The 552DR is rather special, over the past few weeks Iā€™ve learnt that the system with either a NAP300, 500 or 250 fronted by the 552 sounds excellent with any NAP depending on speakers, room etc.

Please note my 500 is upstairs boxed but I hated two stacks of Fraim, now down to a single.

Okay my source is a DAVE / Mscaler this helps of course :grin:

1 Like

Thereā€™s some great deals to be had on the used market, 552DR going for approx Ā£8k plus the sale of your 282/HiCap probably looking at approximately Ā£5500 to change.

Where are you seeing these mythic Ā£8000 NAC552DRs? Internet search indicates one unit for sale that I can see, an older unit that will require a service. There are more, younger units in the Ā£10k and up range.

I think @HiFiman is referring to a number of recent sales.

In the end I advertised mine for approx Ā£9.5k. Regarding the mythical 552DR there is one listed for Ā£7999

Noted - Yes, I can see that one at Ā£7999. As mentioned, an old unit circa 20 years old for which a service should be budgeted (I would anyway).

I donā€™t enjoy streaming that much; Iā€™m old school. I like my vinyl first, then CDs.

1 Like

Still a few years on the service clock though, 15 years on the 500 range.

If its the one I can see and according to the blurb, it is a 2002 unit so over 20 years old. The PS was last serviced in 2013 so due a service.

The 552 had a full service by Naim in 2017. The 552PS was upgraded by Naim to DR specification and fully serviced by Naim in 2013.

So - the PS is the ā€˜weak linkā€™ of the two and due a service. At least, that is the way I read it.

At the very least, further clarification required from the seller - for anyone who is interested.

It just goes to show that used prices are dropping, no big deal if your buying or staying put but for the sellerā€¦

As we all know Naim products used to have a good residual price but I think those days have long passed, even the NC products massive savings I seen a NC250 listed for Ā£3500

1 Like

Old Classic service recommended between 12 - 15 years so could be OK for another five years.

How much is a 12-15 years service per 500 box these days?