500 series replacement?

… and if you find you prefer expensive Mc … to inexpensive Naim … what conclusion will you draw?

1 Like

I think that pretty much nails the problem.

If you find you like the Naim sound over the Mac, then you can invest as much as you have available at the top end of the Naim sound with confidence. My path was slightly tortuous as I didn’t have the confidence that the increase in costs would result in such an increase in sound quality. I have found that even with my 66 year old ears, it really is worth the spend.
To answer your other question, yes I have just started the buying process, the 552 arrived last week after some wait time due to build shortages, next is the streamer, finally will be to replace my 300dr with the 500dr. The only fly in the ointment being the coming price rises. I may have to buy a used 500 and send it back for updating and addition of the DR technology. I have yet to have that conversation with my dealer.

1 Like

If it’s all the same, I think you mean Chris has pretty much nailed the problem!

2 Likes

I like your question, I will let you know if I do that.
It’s not really a fair competition unless I do that test on a smaller size speakers, because my Mc integrated delivers 350 watts per chancel and it’s 3 times the price of a Supernait3.
And my speakers recommend 100-500 watts output.

… smaller or cheaper speakers won’t alter the fact that one amp is 3 times the price of the other. If you prefer the Supernait … which is possible … then it’s fair to assume you will love the 500 amps. However … if you prefer the Mc to the cheaper Naim … you’re no further forward in my eyes.

1 Like

Not forgetting, of course, that aviation fuel isn’t taxed. And to make matters worse, the chancellor has just announced a reduction in air passenger duty on flights within the UK.

1 Like

Yes it make sense,

haha this sounds adorable … If you can hear a big difference, of course !
So you bought of your naim gears new?
I saw you have some naim boxes from the 80’s, did you buy them in 80’s !?
are they still working properly and sound as good as before ?

I’m wondering which car is it on your profile picture?

I will try if I can get a home demo for supernait 3.
Thanks for the hint.

No.

They are ridiculously overpriced and absolutely must be due an upgrade if only to make them more environmentally sustainable.

And I own a 552 so it’s not envy that’s colouring my opinion.

.sjb

8 Likes

Thanks for Sharing, I don’t think the price will comedown. Might be more pricey after upgraded,. Don’t know if upgrade coming or not.

I asked my dealer a few months ago what Naim would do with amplifier developments. I don’t know (?) whether he had any specific knowledge but he said it might be the reduction in boxes specifically separate power supplies. As Naim is known for the use of separate ps’s this would be a bit of a shock.

1 Like

Big difference, yes. :grinning: Big price :frowning:

It is worth it to me though.

Yes I have had my first CB Nait 2 from the 80’s, then others from the classic series. Most of what I have now though are more recent purchases as I’ve pursued the hobby during covid lockdown. I haven’t had any problems with them and I haven’t noticed any deterioration in sound quality. I have had all of the CB kit serviced though recently to extend their life. Apparently capacitors can degrade over time and I’d rather replace after 10-15 years than risk a failure. I will be sending an Olive nac 82 and an early classic supercap for service soon. It also allows the kit to be checked over and current updated parts to be fitted. I don’t see any downside but a few people prefer the sound of old kit and won’t service in case the sound changes.

Car is a Lotus Evora.

2 Likes

May I suggest you look at other speakers too ?
if your room is large maybe something a bit more efficient.

Then go for older Naim boxes, provided you accept used kit,? such as 52/psu/135, eventual 4 or 6 packs.

These amplifiers are keeping their value, and if not to your liking, resell without much loss.
Do notice many prefer the 80’s/90’s Naim sound.

I have been a Naim user for at least 25 years. I have upgraded multiple times, most recently from a 250/252 to a 500/552DR, and recently, to a full Statement system. Each time I purchased them based upon reputation, not having the opportunity to hear them first. I have NEVER been disappointed! I cannot imagine you would be anything but absolutely thrilled with the results of a complete 500 system, especially if you already love your 555.

5 Likes

Yes - you can overtake a camper van.

4 Likes

Fellow Canadian here - what city are you in?

Tut, tut!

On the right road no one can overtake a camper van!

1 Like

with you there Mitch :+1:

Recently went to a lunch party for the Emira … beautiful car … I then pictured the S1 pre amp at exactly the same price standing next to it … had a weird moment :flushed: :upside_down_face:

3 Likes