500 series replacement?

I live in Toronto and was able to find a refurbished 500 DR through my dealer. There’s a well known Canadian used website where Naim gear gets posted.
As mentioned above, a demo is the best way to confirm the 552 and 500 work in your home and your ears. They will sound different from your McIntosh. For me, they make great music.

1 Like

Thanks for the informations.
Lucky you, buying from a dealer for used 500 is a good idea.
I have no experience for buying any preowned technology online yet.
Is it safe to find a good condition 500 552 online?

Buying anything online always has some risk. Therefore, you have to do your homework, e.g. check the seller’s rating, ask questions, check details (serial numbers), etc.
Alternative is to find a dealer who has 500-level equipment in stock and either visit them or have them ship it to you.

1 Like

Got it, thanks for to hint!

1 Like

If thats true, shocking. Crazy. My guy took me around a hard corner and told me to take it at 60, speed limit was 25, I was 31. Still drive it(2006 330xi), happily. Still a thrilling memory, like hearing the 52.

If I could afford it, I’d buy a 500 series system without an audition.

I’ve had all Naim systems for 20 years now, and have never heard a 500 series system, but I do love Naim’s sonic signature.

1 Like
  1. Don’t make any assumptions when Naim will upgrade/replace products. While it’s obvious new products are on the horizon, the timeline will likely be longer than anyone can predict.

2. The 552/500 are very much state of the art. I’ve owned mine for nearly 20 years. I’ve heard nothing that competes with their performance. If you like the ND555 you are in for a treat.

3. Only you can decide if the cost is worth it. Yes, it’s lots of money but so are second houses, boats, golf memberships, exotic cars. If you are a serious listener the 552/500 is among the best. It will provide a lifetime of enjoyment.

5 Likes

To expand a bit more here, as these types of threads/questions appear from time to time and it’s (obviously) difficult to respond with definitive advice as some of the matters in play are alien to the UK marketplace e.g. not being able to get a demonstration of kit at home before buying (there are many dealers in the UK who insist on installing the kit too).

The challenges of non-UK purchasing have been well-flagged over time. Many Forum members have climbed the ladder of Naim products, having taken to the sonic signature of Naim (the PRaT aspect) and the robustness & longevity of the kit (servicing et al). But to jump in at 500/Reference Series level would be quite a leap.

The usual mantra is ‘only your own ears can decide’ - although, as your post bears out, it seems in some parts of the world the merchandising offer is limited and seemingly ex-store only(?).

To clarify re the transformers. Naim’s design philosophy has been centred on the quality of the power supply, whether this be for CDPs, Pre-amps and Amps, hence why the amplifiers (both pre and power) are 2-box solutions. The supplies have large toroidal transformers in them, which benefit (sound-wise) from being left switched-on 24/7.

But with the likes of climate change and energy conservation feeding through various regulations nowadays (power consumption at idle), there are questions as to whether these large transformers will/can remain going forward, hence my term ‘reined-in’ (as to usage).

I suspect the Mac likes a good period of warm-up from cold too, which points to it being left ‘on’/in ‘standby’.

From the UK it does sound strange that someone can get to dem an ND555 at home (or at a dealer) but cannot get to hear a 552/500. This said, getting hold of some non-UK products in the UK which have been reviewed & recommended by UK magazines, can also be quite a challenge.

1 Like

Hi PeterR - yes. Some time this month. Will be a bit of a flying visit (540 mile round trip) though there’s a chAnce I will be able to combine with a stay with friends in Winchester and/or a meeting I have in Cheltenham. But would love to form my own view on your coffee :wink:

1 Like

Hi Tim, sounds great I’ll make contact via Richard :+1:t3: Best Peter

1 Like

why don’t you think about Goldmund pre and Boulder 1160?

1 Like

Thanks for sharing Chris, glad to hear from a long time 500 series owner.
I’m a person who like to keep the things I love, I don’t like to trade or sell them.
That’s why I want to know if it’s an old technology to perches and will be replace by new soon.

True, I totally agree with that.

I know these 2 brands make top level products, but I never get a chance to hear them.
Have your heard them or own them ?

As I can’t speak for OP’s Sonus Faber, the Mc’s I’ve heard were quite boring blown sounding.
No involvement at all.
I’d take almost any Naim amp, doesn’t need to cost a fortune.
$100000 is crazy, how much are Statements ?.

yes, now days there is no naim separates boxes on the ground or demo at least in Vancouver, Canada. very weird. It’s a big city.

I see, that’s cool to me because I always leave my system on when I sleep, I love to have back ground musics or play some sound of the natures in a low volume.
I have my gears in my bed room, I live with them 24/7.

yes , mcinotsh take some time to warm up, and don’t get over heat easily.

Actually I never heard a ND555 before i bought it, because there’s no demo for ND555 in Vancouver.
I only demoed a NDX2 and I like the sound , so i put my imaginations together on a ND555 and try to purches the best. That was a pretty crazy move tho, ND555 coust more then my speasrks.

Thanks for explaining, I just learned.

Mc is pretty good with my speakers to my ears, but to be honest I don’t know if I’m hearing my streams more or Mc.
It’s $80000 Canadian dollars for 552+500, and the extra $20000 will be on cables and frame.
Nap S1 is $120000 Canadian dollars here, Nac S1 is $120000 as well
so a full statement will be $240000 Canadian dollar before tax.

A full 500 series is around the same price of a brand new Mercedes Benz S Class 400 in Canada.

In which case, why not buy a Supernait 3 and, say, 2 x 6m of properly terminated Naca5 speaker cable as an interim measure. ‘Swap out’ your McIntosh and existing speaker wires. You would be able to establish whether or not you like the Naim house sound for , relatively speaking, peanuts.

4 Likes

Still, at least you pay duty on your fuel and given that your Eriba or indeed my motorhome don’t need launching to 30,000 ft each time you use it, never mind all of the supporting nonsense a plane requires, I suspect that your carbon use is rather better than getting on a plane.

2 Likes

yeah maybe I will do a demo with a supernatit 3 and try to hear the naim house sound as well.