500 Series vs. Statement?

Looking forward to the day S2 is announced and the inevitable flood of used S1s hit the classifieds. :rofl:

1 Like

I am first in the queueā€¦i hopešŸ˜Ž

Can I use MiniDisk with an S2?
Iā€™m so pissed an S1 will not work with MD.
Means I have to use my nac72.

I doubt Iā€™ll even be able to see the queue never mind be in it. :pensive:

1 Like

Nice to dream thoughšŸ˜

1 Like

There is still a full Statement system up for sale at ā‚¬89,000, so about 77k GBP. I would hope itā€™s 34k betterā€¦

A short follow up:
Running the S1 pre with 500DR in my system for 8 days now (a well run in 5 year old dealer demo-unit): I still hear some edginess, sometimes ear piercing high frequency energy. The so called musical flow is not as good as with my 552/500/chord music full loom. Inner detail from instruments is far superior with the S1 Pre and the sheer control and timing is mind blowing. Especially bass is very good. Mids are less prominent as with 552, which is probably a correct reproduction, but lacks a certain bounce and ā€œbellynessā€ (for lack of a better word), which is quite seducing with my 552/500.

Maybe the full Statement would rectify this in my system, but at the moment I wonder, if the synergy from 552 and 500 is more satisfying in my system/context.

@Mitch : Would you mind to tell me how your vinyl is sounding through statement vs 500 series regarding frequency response/ high frequency energy? Would appreciate your findings a lot!

Having the opportunity to listening to the demo S1 for a few more days I will report back my findings.

5 Likes

Yes but thats comparing secondhand price against full retail, you can easily get a secondhand 500dr and 552dr for less than Ā£20k.
The more worrying thing about all this, is the actual worth of the statement gear, it like a lead balloon

1 Like

Which is exactly what Iā€™d expect it to be. Itā€™s a kin to buying a luxury car and the market for this stuff is - letā€™s say - niche so used values on something like the Statement are bound to be lead balloon like. Just like buying expensive cars I think Mitch has played it well coming in when the initial massive depreciation has happened. Not to say it wonā€™t fall more but itā€™s not like losing 50% of the new value in 18 months.

Obviously dave and that wasnā€™t what i was saying, just the same as all gear.
50% loss over a few years is to be expected and then it slows down, as like the rest of the naim range, well actually it does btter than that normally.
But the statements i have seen for sale are doing worse than 50%, not great for the first time buyer, but better for the second.
Plus not all luxury items lose money, some cars have a very healthy premium on new price, same for sone watches etc, itā€™s all about want and demand.

1 Like

Absolutely Dunc. Sorry my car analogy was more Mercedes S Class or Bentley than Porsche GT3 Touring. Should have made that clear!

Hi jodl, any chance of putting up a photo with the S1 in your system please :+1:t3: ATB Peter

@PeterR
Here you goā€¦

17 Likes

Thank you jodl, was just curious about bottom of S1 distance to your 500 head unit, seems good though! :+1:t3:
Strange you get that top end emphasis, could it be your room. No problems with top end on your 552? Itā€™s a funny old lark this hifi business as I have experienced exactly the opposite going from 552 to S1 ie to me a cleaner top end. So many factorsā€¦:thinking: at least youā€™ve now tried it with a no cost outcome. ATB Peter

I know exactly where Mikeā€™s house is, Iā€™ve been there many times! The general location is not a secret, Mike (pre-covid) loved having folks over for a listen. Always interesting to hear his approach to hi-fi and his record/tape collection is on-par with his electronics, especially the Led Zeppelin 1/4" tape which is astonishing. Mike has also been to my house a few times to hear my various Naim systemsā€¦ heā€™s been very complementary.

2 Likes

Ha ha, the porsche GT and special premiums are a hole talking point in there own lol

2 Likes

Both for under Ā£20k?? Not sure about that unless they are non DR units badly in need of a service.

1 Like

Well mine have cost me just under that, including the 552 being serviced and power supply DRed late last year, the 500 had already been DRed when I got it, 3 years ago.
So it can be done

Yes, Peter could be the room. With the 552 I donā€™t have this problem, there is sparkle and lots of resolution, but nicely bedded in. With the S1 this is even further extended and the upper frequency from some instruments seem detached from the lower end resulting in a too lean a sound from instruments like saxophone, higher voicesā€¦
But, as you mentioned, there are further factors, maybe the speakers, the cables, the sourceā€¦
Back to 552 everything gels and at the moment Iā€™m leaning towards the 552.
The biggest difference to my ears is the bass. Itā€™s no slouch with the 552 but no way as tight as from the S1.

1 Like

Hi jodl, where abouts in the World are you? ( allow me a guess Germany, Austria?) :thinking: Best Peter