500 Series vs. Statement?

You’ll be massaging the interconnects next :crazy_face:

But in response to @Innocent_Bystander , there are a few points here:

1- the cases and kit are very large and heavy, so setting up isn’t straightforward, especially for some of us who risk hernias handling a 500 head unit!

2- there are established methods for packing/unpacking, hence why it’s recommended this is done by dealers (and assume is built in to the cost).

3- the major curio is that a current listing refers to a re-build and in Naim-land this is young kit, and why should this be required.

4- my understanding is that service intervals haven’t been advised for Statement kit, noting there are some majorly sized caps in the PSs (base units). Strikes me that a home visit may be easier than shipping but that isn’t going to happen!

Could be a case of ‘if you have to ask the price, you cannot afford it’ territory?

I’d love to hear this system when I’m back east in the future. Good luck with the Statement upgrade… I look forward to reading your updates.

I should jolly well hope so!

2 Likes

Not what I found!

Ok - I’m only roughing-it with just the S1 Pre but I have not had to touch it since the two guys from Naim and both my Dealers installed it - it is very heavy.
To be fair - a few days after the sheer weight had deformed the floor under it by a micron I did re-do and tighten the leveling feet - and have not now touched it for years…perhaps I will have a look!

The only things that do on occasion need little tweaks are the 500 stuff interconnect cables - which can get a little stiff and the system sounds better after they get a prod - it takes a few seconds and lasts the day - crazy stuff, but Active systems tend to reveal things you would not expect.

So the S1 Pre - by essentially containing what before was my 552 Pre and 552PS with Burndy and digital cables set-up carefully on several Fraim levels and stacks - all that is now one box!
And I find it stays set-up longer than the 552 did as there is less to be tweaked.

That is my experience. :bear:

DB.

2 Likes

Without plowing through all the posts on this topic I have heard a 552/500 , both DR, fronted by a top spec LP 12 into B & W 802 D3, or it might have been 800s. no matter, at my local dealer. The full Statement then took the place of thw 552/500 amps. Yes, it was an improvement but this was a set up assenbled over a few hours and not one at home for a week or more… Makes a difference!
In picking the brains of assembled hi-fi shop staff and well qualified to comment, the star of the Statement is the pre- amp not to decry the two power amps ability.
A serious investment and one where a home demo with plenty of time to be think through the pros and cons need to be taken into account.
From what I heard at the dealer and even with a Lottery Win I am not sure I would be a serious buyer. If I were to be it would be pre first and power amps second.
Either way, you need top quality sources before looking at his amp upgrade. That’s just my view.
On a positive note if you can swallow the cost then from a musical viewpoint you should be delighted.

1 Like

The overlooked part of this thread is that somewhere someone is selling their statement amps and pre. I wonder if they are upgrading, downgrading or in a bad condition?

1 Like

Well people do and for many reasons, but i can only guess the amount they lost on it all, and that would be a very hard pill to swallow for me

1 Like

Or it is a small change for some people.
Where I live (SF Bay Area), millions of $ mean small changes, (and there are hundreds of homeless tents just a few thousand yards from the Apple HQ).

1 Like

The deleted thread essentially commented that the New Zealand Naim Agent, Chris Murphy, who is world renowned as one of the best Naim service engineers is no longer the NZ agent, and that Naim servicing in NZ would no longer be available.

The OP was concerned that his Statement would have to go to the UK if it needed repair or servicing.

I’ll need to check the accuracy of this with my local dealer as I have a Fraim Lite on order. I’d be relucant to buy further Naim gear if this situation has been reported accurately.

2 Likes

In addition to the one on eBay there was the person to whom I alluded in my previous post who said to the effect that he/she was thinking of selling - but her/his stated reason was the one I mentioned.

I would have responded sooner to all the helpful and entertaining comments, but I was locked out of the thread, even though I began it, due to the apparent policy of this site which does not allow a new member (this is my debut) to reply over 18 times within the first 24 hours. I fail to comprehend the logic, but such is the world in which we live.

Again, I so appreciate all the info and suggestions. I’m still wrestling with the expense to do the Statement upgrade, though I must say, the positive reports regarding the impact of the Statement have nudged me a bit more toward pulling the trigger. It seems the pre-amp, especially, gets exception ratings. Again, in this circumstance, I would be buying a used Statement system (the only way I could even consider purchasing it), precluding the option of acquiring the pre-amp alone.

To answer the question about the number of boxes in my rig, there are 6 separate power supplies. They consume a lot of real estate, but are quite necessary to make it all work.

As to the concern about buying a used Statement…the units, which are in the UK, have been recently serviced and are now under factory warranty. They belong to a very reputable individual who is in the music business who is selling them to raise additional capital for further business development. They will be sent back to the Naim factory again for a complete go-over and any/all issues (though I am assured there are none) will be addressed. I am completely confident in this. The price also includes the conversion to 110v and shipping. My total outlay would be no more than a third of their original retail cost, which is a great value, except for the fact that it is still a very significant, and uncomfortable (but doable?) outlay of cash on my part.

To those of you who have expressed an interest in stopping by for a listen (I’m on Long Island, NY) I would be more than happy to host. Though I do not provide any PPE, I do have an extensive collection of single malt whisky which, I believe, goes extraordinarily well with great music and good company.

22 Likes

Unfortunately the world we live in is also inhabited by spam bots, and I suppose this is to protect against those.

Mitch, I’ve removed your email address. It’s a publicly viewable forum so not at all safe to post personal contact information. Should anybody wish to make contact for a visit then just let me know and I can pass on the info to Mitch.

1 Like

Yes, it’s one of a number of handbrakes applied to newly signed up members to guard against any spammer who might somehow manage to get through onto the forum. The safeguards are tight though and over the years I’ve got pretty good at spotting them before they get anywhere near the forum…

5 Likes

Unsurprisingly your post has had numerous likes Mitch, and equally it’s lovely to see a newcomer to this Forum showing such a welcoming attitude. I wish you all the best with your acquisition and please let us know, how you are getting on, this even if you due to time lapse have to start a fresh thread on the subject of the Statement. All the best Peter

5 Likes

Mitch,
I am curious to know how you choosed the Goldinote speakers and why you bought them, not for instance Focal, Magico, Wilson or Wilson Benesh, who make also speakers in the same price range as yours.
I heard Goldinote big integrated amp recently, on very sensitive speakers.
The sound was between tubes and solid state, having the delicacy of tubes ( but lacking the magic of the best tubes) and the authority of solid states ( but less than Naim for instance).
But I have never heard Goldinote speakers.

Mitch, if I were in your shoes, I’d buy the full Statement immediately.
When I heard it, I’d been listening to a full 500 system through Kudos 808 speakers.
When the Statement was connected, it simply sounded right, brought the good old Naim sound with dynamics and foot tapping musicality to life and it felt as though the system had found its focus. I loved it!
I remember nodding to myself and thinking “this is it”.
Hopefully, you’ll have the same experience with your speakers in your home too.

3 Likes

Blythe

Thanks for your recommendations, Blythe. Would you mind having a conference with my wife???

4 Likes

Just make sure you’re prepared to buy something special and to your wife’s liking :wink:

Well, I did buy her a puppy for Christmas - an all-white Siberian husky. I think I should get a bit of leeway, no?

4 Likes