500dr

Welcome to your new music collection.

1 Like

I can’t find anything on the what are you currently drinking now thread :joy:

1 Like

IIRC, Julian Vereker suggested putting the best amp on the tweeters in a wonky active system.

2 Likes

Precisely :wink:

Plus three stacks of Fraim to house all these boxes

1 Like

The DR sounds faster to me. Snappier. Is that even possible?

2 Likes

Would have gone for more if it’s the one I’m thinking of and ebay had accepted my bid!

Spoke to the dealer and there’s two more from the same active system so all is not lost.

1 Like

IIRC, Mr Vereker was, unfortunately, deceased by the time the Fraim was released.

Listening to the Cult - Electric. The DR is certainly more suited to rock IMO. This album sounds turbo charged after listening to it on the 500, which was a great listen in its own right.

Was it really worth the leap though Stu?

I can hear some hesitation or say some things you miss with non DR or?

1 Like

At RRP no. For what it cost me… hell yeah!

1 Like

DR is like 500 on steroids

Deeper wider soundstage. More detail. Faster, more aggressive, presentation. Not noticing any more bass but hearing things in the mid range I haven’t heard before.

I just keep wanting to turn it up. And there’s no strain, no fatigue.

More emotional connection, more foot tapping. Maybe 20-30% more if we can put a number to these things.

I couldn’t go back.

5 Likes

Try Carlos Kleiber conducting the Vienna Phil for Beethoven’s 5th if you want loud 500DR goodness.

https://tidal.com/browse/album/17626399

3 Likes

I found that it put more flesh on the music compared to the original 500 - more solid images of the singers, more micro-detail presented cleanly and clearly that was either just hinted-at before or not really present.

I also found the low-bass extension far better and cleaner with plucked-notes or synth chord spectra very clean and rhythmic - timing is tighter and more correct and connects to me better.

Top-end was also smoother and more extended in fine details. I always thought tha the old 500 was the first amp which properly portrayed the note-decay or space after notes compared to my previous old 300 but the 500DR just takes that to a new level of mastery in being very clean and revealing in a ‘just there’ non-impressive way.

Always nice to hear good reports from an upgrade. :bear:

DB.

4 Likes

That’s the problem I have with mine……start off a listening session at a reasonable volume, keep nudging the volume control up and then my wife comes in and although her lips are moving no words can be heard. Usually she’s telling me she heard my music at the end of the drive :joy:. It’s effortless and crystal clear.

5 Likes

I agree with everything you say, and you say it so much more succinctly than I could put it.

The 500 is outstanding. The DR takes it to a whole new level.

I will never listen to a Statement!

Easy fix for that one = divorce

It worked out OK for me :joy:

2 Likes

Indeed - the S1Pre into a 500DR is divine. :see_no_evil:
…it is a path some on this forum have trod who never ever intended.

DB.

3 Likes