500dr

Along my many upgrade paths, going from the 300dr to 500dr was the biggest improvement. Enjoy

2 Likes

Do you mean if you do the 500 first you might not have chosen the 707 you have now?

All DRā€™d up

And doesnā€™t my back know it :weary:

Resisted the urge to listen, stuff to do, but left it playing in an empty room to warm up.

Looking forward to listening with a few cold ones laterā€¦

Congratulations. A fascinatingly capable amp on so many levels which also redefines the meaning of ā€œgripā€.

1 Like

Just checking. There were no DIN-XLR cables so I used existing. Do these normally come with the pre? Just need to know for when I sell my 500

and no place to go :joy:

2 Likes

No, they would have been supplied with the power amp, so you should really include them when you sell it.

An upgrade seems to be always followed by another upgradeā€¦., one seems to never be finishedā€¦ while I said to myself that the same upgrade is the last one, and is so far true. I am sure you will enjoy fullyā€¦ā€¦, I didnā€™t regret the upgrade from non DR to DR everā€¦

1 Like

Yes. I tried the 707ā€™s and PMC Fact 12ā€™s. All my previous speakers had been PMC and I really wanted to like the Fact 12ā€™s but the 300DR couldnā€™t control the bass and it was very flabby and boomy in my room.

I love the 707ā€™s, theyā€™re fantastic speakers, but I just have that nagging itch that I may have preferred the PMCā€™s if I had the 500DR. Not enough to try thoughā€¦my wife would kill me !

If Iā€™m ever fortunate enough to upgrade speakers again Iā€™ll be demoing the Kudos 808ā€™s and PMC MB2ā€™s.

2 Likes

Thanks, Iā€™ll speak to the dealer Iā€™m sure theyā€™ll send me some

I have always had an itch to try the MB2ā€™s

1 Like

Iā€™ve heard them in someone elseā€™s (non Naim) system and they were fantastic, the best speaker Iā€™ve ever heard. They were too expensive for me when I last upgraded and Iā€™d probably need an unexpected windfall now to permit a change. Theyā€™re also very big and Iā€™m not sure Iā€™d get them passed my wife on that basisā€¦but one can dream.

1 Like

My plan is to tell her they are ruggedly handsome like mešŸ˜‚

3 Likes

Nice threadā€¦ fully understand the upgrade follows upgrade itchā€¦
I am so happy that I managed to stop - for the moment.
You do not know how fine your market for pre-loved naim in uk isā€¦ without custom situation (hope Post is fine with forum rules).
A 2nd 555ps still tempting for me.
500DR as well - maybe 500 non dr as wellā€¦. :heart_eyes:

They are nothing fancy. In fact they are the same type that come with 135ā€™s. Good old light flex. If you get stuck I have three pairs.

I always loved my set of old non-DR 500 running Active they were an excellent upgrade from my previous but also great 300 amps, but the 500 had far more realism in dynamic-handling and portrayal of ā€˜spaceā€™.

The DR upgrade to 500DRā€¦well they really should have called it the 750DR as it was a different beast again. It filled-out the midband with more soft and easy detail in vocals and has a far more solid bass performance.

Not a small update - enjoy! :bear:

DB.

5 Likes

The 500 DR has been playing in an empty room for the last four hours. Chores done, drink poured, time to see what all the fuss is aboutā€¦

As ever, when I buy a new piece of kit, the first track will be Comfortably Numb

These are the moments we live for

9 Likes

Come on Stu stop beating about the bush and tell us how fandabdozy it is :rofl:

Pink Floyd you mean

1 Like

And donā€™t forget Dan does not want 6x135s