552 as Update over 52 with nap 135

This is what you want. £2.50 on Amazon.

2 Likes

Got it already in my basket :joy:

You can use a stereo 3.5mm to 2xRCA too but only one side will work. I believe it’s red. There are more high quality ones available then with shielding. Some claim this cable also affect sound quality on 552.

2 Likes

Thats all I use between an ND5XS2 - 552 I think I paid less than £1.50 from Amazon including delivery.

1 Like

ChrisBell

Aug '19

A high quality shielded cable is mandatory for this automation. I tried a cheap $2 cable and found it degraded the sound… once I replaced it with a shielded cable I did not hear a difference. It was not terribly expensive but it took some research to find a custom cable maker.

Everything matters.

5 Likes

delta

Oct '21

I’ve got a cable from designacable ‘digital mini-jack to RCA’. It’s much higher quality than the one I had before but I am not sure I can detect a SQ difference!

1 Like

Not to my lugs, cheap cable connected or not I cannot tell any difference

1 Like

I found this one.
Will test with cheap one, what it brings to the table.
Still do not know what is the benefit of the system automation
Doing volume via iPad? This would be fine

1 Like

99p from my local err pound store. They didnt have any audiophile cables, although the assistant did say they could charge me more if that helped.
Cant say it degraded the sound between the ndx2 and 282. But it has certainly made things more convenient.

Yeah, I doubt it will make differences, maybe in some very resolved systems like the one of @Darkebear , who found a decrease and doesn’t use automation.
But it’s easy to compare, volume with the preamp remote vs automation and see if you hear differences.

It was not my thinking, a quote from @ChrisBell post.

When I tried it years ago with my then 552 Pre I didn’t like the effect - it made things sound duller and lost a bit of resolution, so I didn’t use it. I tried it at my Dealer with their 552 - the same and they also said it does not give best performance with top-end systems, but people want it so it is offered.

Things may have changed by now if it has been implemented better by perhaps Optical link then it should be no difference.

But if people try it and it is the same - then it is the same for them! :bear:

DB.

2 Likes

Are there bad ones?

1 Like

IMG_5583

2 Likes

No there not!

Its bull sh1t, if one little cable makes a difference I wiĺl call it a day

What cable did you compare the cheap one to?

One little fuse makes a significant difference in my system.

1 Like

No cable

Someone should find - and post - a photo of the prototype NAC52, which had a drop down frontage. I wonder if any of these still exist, in Salisbury or elsewhere.