552 as Update over 52 with nap 135

Keeping xlr… that is a big question…
Have not done a/b. No idea if I like them better. Price is very good.

Waiting for upgrades to be good is difficult for me - would not get out of the doubt loop

300 was a bit intended as interim - maybe that’s my mind giving this in

You don’t happen to use SL DIN XLR between 300DR and 552 and original between 135 and 552? Asking because those cables will shift the sound signature quite a lot too.

Yes I did - but also switched to the original with 300.
These cables switch the sound signature - some of the detail is SL based. More detail but a bit less involving.
But my judgment is biased - tested hiline 5-5 and Morgana and everytime went back to lavender.
135 with sl could be interesting - but impossible in Fraim rack

@Blackbird
Will be interesting to hear your sl thoughts…

Maybe I give 300 a chance with original cables. But at the end is more unfair for 135, as I heared it with standard cables. I did the 300 initially with SL cables as I want to like it. :smiling_face:
And in any tests before the higher range cables brought more and on the fast and dynamic side - in my ear the 135 is the the faster and more dynamic amp with standard cables :smiling_face:

Should I keep the sl cable for later amps? 1/3 of retail price?

Now 135 is running…
Definitely less detailed - but (as mentioned also here before) - a lot of groove and punch.
Maybe in short words - I am not yet ready to fully give up olive signature. Room and macro dynamics are better with 135. like the in your face pushing very much.
300dr will still be better amp in overall aspect.
Think that 552 can do more and the „weak“ link are now the mono amps.

So 500 is the way to go and until than - 552 / 135 are far from boring.

It is slightly darker sounding but with diamond cable (thx @frenchrooster) the edgy is almost gone with still enough forward sound.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.